Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old June 10th, 2016, 06:17 PM
Account Disabled
Recent Photo: Buick '55
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Montana-Idaho trip

I used to do an annual pilgrimage to great flyfishing waters in late June on the Henry's Fork (of the Snake River) for wild, wily, large trout.

1. On one such trip I made it most of the 800 miles the night before but camped a couple of hours short of my destination, awakening very early the next morning and immediately getting on the road. En route between I-90 and Last Chance, ID via Ennis, MT I came upon what I recollect as a daybreak scene of the Madison River flowing thru a valley with condensation forming immediately over the river as it wound back & forth across the valley due to the cold morning mountain air.

Canon 20D, 17-85mm @ 85
ISO-100, f-7.1, 1/15 sec., polarizer

2. Later that afternoon I was scouting out another section of the Henry's Fork but was fascinated by this "as far as the eye can see" vista of these daisy-like flowers (which I believe are in the Aster family and known as White Mule's Ears).
[IMG][/IMG]
Canon 20D, 17-85mm @ 17
ISO-100, f-18, 1/8 sec., polarizer

Your comments, critique, and/or questions are welcome.
  #2    Top
Old June 10th, 2016, 06:30 PM
Re: Montana-Idaho trip

Fog and mist always present interesting photo opportunities and the first shot is not exception. In the second shot your angle makes it seem like the white flowers go on forever. Russ I was curious why you shot the second one at 1/8 second F18? I would think it was on a tripod but why the relatively long exposure?
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old June 10th, 2016, 06:54 PM
Account Disabled
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Thanks Randy. Re the long exposure, it was the product of other desired settings, ie f-18 to get DOF (although at 17mm that was virtually a given anyways) and ISO-100 because.....I always shoot at ISO-100!!! Shutter speed of 1/8 sec was deemed adequate (vs increasing ISO or reducing aperture) to properly expose as the afternoon lull in winds had everything fairly still.

Re the "goes on forever" flowers, this is an area 1/4 mile deep and 1/4 mi+ wide...and doesn't capture all of it!
  #4    Top
Old June 10th, 2016, 07:05 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I really liked the first one Russ
  #5    Top
Old June 11th, 2016, 09:31 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Easley Cabin 2017
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

WW a true sea of Wyethia Helianthoides with a few cousins (yellow mule’s-ears) Wyethia Amplexicaulis and a variety of other wildflowers staring to show, Prairie Smoke, Penstemon and Lupin when looking through that lake of white blooms…

When talking to my relatives who went up and opened "Cabins" over Memorial Day week the majority of Mules-ears were past their prime and the small early snow melt flowers were basically gone. On the other hand they had success collecting Morels (requires a permit from the SNRA) which was enjoyed during dinners, plus they dried a few for future use. Somehow I'm pretty sure they will all be consumed before we get up there in July...
  #6    Top
Old June 11th, 2016, 10:34 AM
Account Disabled

Thanks for viewing and commenting Clark & Jerry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerrywb View Post
............................ Somehow I'm pretty sure they will all be consumed before we get up there in July...
"The early bird gets the worm"!
  #7    Top
Old June 12th, 2016, 02:24 PM
Senior VIP Member

Beautiful shots Russ, The first one is my favorite, that mist(fog) on the river is really quite dramatic. Well done.

Joshua 1:9
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes."
--Dewitt Jones
John 3:16
flickr
www.southpawphotos.com
  #8    Top
Old June 18th, 2016, 12:39 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Parakeets
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Great. I love the layers in the first one. The second one is simply splendid.