Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 8th, 2016, 08:16 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Photography Abruptly Ended for Me This Year:

Ended up with bronchial pneumonia which I am fighting off with Moxifloxacin (I know the flox stuff is dangerous, but it was either that or succumb).

November 5, 2016: Evidently Amoxicillin didn't work out too well. Spent a "wonderful afternoon" Surrey Memorial Hospital CATZ 😷 wondering if I was going to end up hooked up to an IV. Evidently Bronchitis decided to move into lungs without paying the new foreign owner's taxes. I now have to use a puffer to clear out the airways, joy of joys! ~Bleeping~ useless squatter.

The phlebotomist at CATZ in Surrey Memorial Hospital is amazing. I am absolutely petrified of needles and I'm not afraid to admit it though my wife, as a nurse's daughter is immensely amused by that. The phlebotomist did the blood drawing, for the test yesterday, so quickly, accurately and smoothly, that I didn't feel a thing. I thank her for being able to make an experience that is usually unpleasant into one that was actually (though not something one I would have liked to have had to do on a regular basis) "enjoyable" on a one-time basis.

Evidently I was rather dehydrated when I went into the hospital however they did tell me to drink lots of fluids and water to reset my body because it had stopped producing mucus (dry mouth) and no "tear" production and my eyes burned because there was no tears but just salt along the edges of the tear duct but yet surprisingly my body hadn't gone into the medium/severe dehydration yet - which is a scary position to be in (and believe me, scared doesn't do good things to me - it makes me paranoid) - because your mind goes off the f*ng deep-end and goes "What if I can't reset my body back - what if everything that I do to try to rehydrate my body just doesn't work and I go into a downward spiral." I did not want to be in that position, so all today I did NOTHING but drink and drink and drink - Fruit smoothies, tap water, a Gatorade. I haven't been able to put down solid food for a while because while I had the bronchitis infection and had to fight it with Amoxicillin - I was having fever and chills and I had the shakes. I couldn't summon up the energy to get up off the couch and eat - so I went days without food (almost 3 days on, three days off of food just because I couldn't summon up the energy); just drink to keep from having my body dehydrate but evidently I wasn't keeping up with the sweats and my body went into dehydration mode regardless. My tongue swelled up - not to the point of airway restriction, but enough that it meant consuming solid food was a trial in itself. My eyes stopped producing tears from my tear duct, and my mouth would continually go dry even if I was drinking water. Dehydration is a scary situation because if you don't halt the forward train once it's been put into motion, it means eventual death - if you can't stop it. I wasn't smart, I should have got off my *** and ate even if it was difficult during the feverish points in my Amoxicillin treatment of my bronchitis and I paid for the stupid decision with damned near gambling my life.

So tell your kids; those of you who have them. Don't ever not eat while you're suffering an illness because it can take a single "switch" to flip you from healthy body fluid state to a state of dehydration - especially if you're stubborn as a mule like me (my wife constantly says she wants to get a cast-iron frying pan and use it on my head). I haven't been doing a very good job of listening to her when it becomes a contentious point of my health. It's always been a bad point with me - being self-sufficient and realizing that I don't ALWAYS know everything.

I managed to get the switch started and it's starting to feel like I'm producing moisture again in my body though it may take a bit with my eyes - they still feel dry.

November 7, 2016:
Ouch. Another trip to ER with BP at 180/101 this time with two sticks for blood tests and a IV for CT scan of my abdomen and chest. Found out I have pneumonia instead of bronchitis in my lungs.

Now note that I am an absolute chicken**** when it comes to needles: but when you feel this crappy - my fear became "BRING IT ON!" ANYTHING to make me feel better than how I was currently feeling. And they even had to stick me twice to get the IV needle in. It was at that point where I just went "So what..." Let's just git'r done.

Also became lightheaded at one point and had to be supported by the father of a patient in the exam chair across from me. I was out like a light. It was not a fun situation. When I came to the nurse was asking me questions and I had to clear my head for a little bit. Had to move back over to my own exam chair so that they could deal with the other situations when they saw that I was lucid. But I'm extremely grateful to the man who held me to prevent me from falling even though he had his own set of worries with his own family there. If he hadn't grabbed me and held me; I'd probably be still at the hospital possibly in the OR having to be dealt with for a brain injury and considering my brain, I don't need any more impacts to the head.

Back home and resting.- was sent home with two prescriptions: one being the antibiotic to kill the pneumonia in my lungs. I guess that effectively killed any shooting photography for the rest of the year.

So...I don't know when I'm going to be back on the horse. Right now my focus is on getting better physical-health wise.

My Gear
  #2    Top
Old November 8th, 2016, 08:29 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Re: Photography Abruptly Ended for Me This Year:

Rest well and heal Animal
  #3    Top
Old November 8th, 2016, 08:36 PM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

I have been through the mill myself this year, so know how you might be feeling. Wishing you the best for a speedy recovery.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #4    Top
Old November 9th, 2016, 01:57 AM
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

Serious illness are always times for reflection and a great time to improve ones post processing skills. We all have photos we love to reprocess over and over again to improve our ability to really create something dynamic.

There is also taking on other projects for a sense of creativity but with a local charm. Take pics of your room, house, document your life. If anything it will serve to keep you eye and fingers sharp for when you do return to the wilds looking for BIF and nature.....or even the hockey rink shooting family.
  #5    Top
Old November 9th, 2016, 05:44 AM

Dude, hope you get better real quick!
  #6    Top
Old November 11th, 2016, 02:29 AM
Lunatic Lensman
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason

Get well soon! Being sick is no fun!

"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night

http://www.northwestnaturalimagery.com
  #7    Top
Old November 24th, 2016, 11:42 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

The Moxiffloxacin worked to clear up most of the congestion in my lungs. I'm still hacking up phlegm and fatigued easily, but it's slowly getting better and I hope that my eating healthy will help in trying to hurry the recovery along. Needless to say, it made me question my priorities and realize that health is of primary importance, even over photography (which has always been my obsession).

It's been said that Bronchial Pneunomia (which is what I have) takes between two to three months to heal and get my energy back, so I will take that time and recuperate; though the fatigue is frustrating me.
My Gear
  #8    Top
Old November 24th, 2016, 11:54 AM

Great to hear.Rest well
  #9    Top
Old November 28th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Senior VIP Member

A big thanks to my daughter's elementary school for a parking pass allowing me to utilize the teacher's parking.

When I informed the principal and asked if I could potentially park at the teacher's parking and explained to him the reason behind my request; the principal was shocked as to the severity of side-effects from Moxifloxacin; with potential for neuropathy and tendon burst.

I can't walk for long distances (let's just say that whatever distances I can walk have to be at a pace where an arthritic senior citizen could out-pace me) and I have patellar tendon pain when I do walk but had to take the stuff to clear up the bronchial pneumonia. And with that pain in the patellar tendons on both knees; I'm not taking a chance. Evidently Fluoroquinolones (anything with the drug name with flox in it) attack the nerves and tendons. And evidently it can take up to an year to flush it out of my system. So...it may be a while before I get to do any photography - and it may be from the vehicle when it does happen. I keep thinking back to when I didn't have the car and realize that I wouldn't be able to walk at all...for any substantial length of distance to go anywhere and I'm grateful that my wife convinced me to get the car over three years ago.
My Gear
Sponsors
  #10    Top
Old November 29th, 2016, 12:04 AM

There is always shooting the hockey games. Take it slow and heal.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner