Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Miscellaneous

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old December 15th, 2016, 08:10 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: My best friend Becky
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Japanese wisteria

I love wisteria and this bonsai was so beautiful. When I reworked the photo, I made the wall more grey than its original white/yellowish and I used the vignette to try and bring the focus even more on the plant.

Ps. the white marks on the left bottom side were supposed to be my signature, I removed it, uploaded the photo without it but they still appear even if the photo in the gallery doesn't have them (by the way how can I solve this?)

#2    Top
Old December 17th, 2016, 03:44 PM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Re: Japanese wisteria

First, what a beautiful Bonsai!!! I'd love to have that in my house!

Hmmm... I'm not sure what white marks you are referring to, but I can't see any.

I think I would crop the bottom just a tad, so the table it is sitting on is not visible. I'm also not a huge fan of the vignette, I think it actually takes something away from the photo. Just my personal opinion, of course.

Also, I know the wall has a lot of texture, but I would be tempted to maybe try a texture overlay, over the whole photo.

Again, though... just my opinion. Others might not agree.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
  #3    Top
Old December 19th, 2016, 07:44 PM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason

Thanks Sabine for taking the time to comment, I appreciate it!

I'm glad on the other side you cannot see those white marks because they drive me insane lol

As for the vignette, I understand your point of view. I like vignette, but rarely I exaggerate like in this case.
I'm trying to push my limits and see what actually can work or not I'm always kind of conservative when it comes to photo editing..

Yes the wall is distracting, I will try to smooth it out and see what different it does make. Those are the times where I wish I had a more powerful tool like Photoshop..

Thanks again, I will give it a try and show you the final results.
  #4    Top
Old December 19th, 2016, 08:04 PM
Premiere Member

Here is my attempt with the editing, but i'm not satisfied with the wall, I don't have the right tool to do it properly...

#5    Top
Old December 20th, 2016, 10:51 PM
The One and Only
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason

I really like the crop in this 2nd post. I would be tempted to add a little texture back to the background.

“There are two primary choices in life: to accept conditions as they exist, or accept the responsibility for changing them.” - Dr. Denis Waitley
Sponsors
  #6    Top
Old December 20th, 2016, 11:59 PM
Premiere Member

Thanks Sabine, as I said I was not satisfied with the wall..
I see if I can bring back just enough
  #7    Top
Old December 21st, 2016, 09:23 AM
The One and Only

Or, try and use a texture overlay (many freebies online).

#8    Top
Old December 22nd, 2016, 04:13 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I think to not see your white marks you need to clear your browser cache if you haven't already done that and clear cookies. Images often get cached and the cache (original) version is used as opposed to re-downloading the new image.

I like the first but I think I would make the vignette more subtle and with PS you should be able to content aware away the table edge on the bottom or crop it out. The texture in the first is very nice
  #9    Top
Old January 1st, 2017, 11:21 PM
Premiere Member

Thanks Clark for your comments. i will definitely clean up the cache, it drove me insane loading this photo cause i kept seeing them..

I still don't have PS but it's going to be my 2017 project, at least start familiarise with it.
I realise more and more every time that i could find a better medium if only I had the right tools