Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old February 15th, 2017, 02:33 PM
Tips For Shooting People In Formal Wear

Hello,

I am just wondering if any of you have time to help a beginner/amateur photographer shoot people in formal wear.

Whether it's weddings, graduations, business meetings, and other formal events...

1) Are there certain colors that look better on film?

2) Is it better to take photos inside or outside?

3) What camera did you start out with when you were a beginner?

Thanks for your help!
  #2    Top
Old February 16th, 2017, 10:12 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Niagara river pan
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Tips For Shooting People In Formal Wear

You have a lot of stuff to learn and you raise some questions yourself.

1. Are you really using film? or are you using digital camera?, Digital is a much faster way to learn. In most cases you really won't have a choice of what color your subjects are wearing anyway.

2. Inside or outside presents different challenges. One may not be better than the other.
Outside requires you to deal with weather conditions and whatever the light may be like at the time you take your pictures, and you may need to learn how to use fill light with flash or reflectors or both.
Indoors will certainly require you to learn how to manipulate artificial light and reflectors.

3. Just about any DSLR will do for starting out with the subject matter you mention here.

My suggestion would be to get as much practice as you can by using a friend for a model, and shooting in various lighting conditions to get a feel for what you need to do. You can post your work here and get more specific suggestions for what you are doing at the time of the shoot.
and sixteen doozies in a humdinger.
Nobody knows how many humdingers are in a lollapalooza.
George Carlin
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old February 16th, 2017, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchile View Post
You have a lot of stuff to learn and you raise some questions yourself.

1. Are you really using film? or are you using digital camera?, Digital is a much faster way to learn. In most cases you really won't have a choice of what color your subjects are wearing anyway.

2. Inside or outside presents different challenges. One may not be better than the other.
Outside requires you to deal with weather conditions and whatever the light may be like at the time you take your pictures, and you may need to learn how to use fill light with flash or reflectors or both.
Indoors will certainly require you to learn how to manipulate artificial light and reflectors.

3. Just about any DSLR will do for starting out with the subject matter you mention here.

My suggestion would be to get as much practice as you can by using a friend for a model, and shooting in various lighting conditions to get a feel for what you need to do. You can post your work here and get more specific suggestions for what you are doing at the time of the shoot.
thanks for the detailed response.

To answer your question... I am using and plan on continuing to use a digital camera.
  #4    Top
Old February 24th, 2017, 12:21 AM

Just as an update...

I have been experimenting with shooting outside since I know nothing about artificial light at this point, and don't want to spend money on reflectors yet. Basically I'm going for a look that is often seen in fashion magazines, some even being action shots, but taken outside. Also, I want to have an online gallery where I take still shots like MensWearhouse did with their big and tall models here on the main image of the page.

Anyway... once I have pics I'm confident enough to share, I'll be sure to post them here. Stay tuned...
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > People