Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 10th, 2017, 05:12 AM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Cathedral Rocks, Alexandria BC and health update

Haven't posted in a while. I had a stroke in April, and it was my 3rd one. However, it was discovered in the hospital that I had severe sleep apnea, and was having up to 40 events per night, and not breathing anywhere from 20 seconds to 2+ minutes during them.

My doctor, the respirologist and neurologist pointed to oxygen deprivation (and not diabetes, which was originally thought) as the cause of all three strokes, including the one in which I lost my right eye. As a matter of fact, I DON''T have diabetes, much to several doctors' chagrin.

I've been on a CPAP machine for 2 months now, and I haven't felt better in about 20 years. The neurologist believes that my stroke danger is now over . . . . I feel that too. Time will tell.

In any case, I'm back taking pictures, and just finished a tour of BC with a friend, and I used both digital and film (4x5, 5x7 and medium format) on the expedition and will post from all formats over the next while.

This shot was taken in 90 degree temperature, and is taken near Williams Lake BC, in the height of the fire district. It was shot with a Linhof Color 4x5 monorail, and a 90mm Schneider f5.6 lens, on HP5 film developed in HC110 at 1:50 and 12 minutes. It was exposed for 1/30th sec at f45. The real problem with posting large formats on line is that the 2880 dpi of computer screens cannot do justice to what is in effect a 500 megapixel image. However, you can get an idea of the incredible tonal range here, even though the picture posted is optimized to 800 dpi. The slight blur in parts of the photo are due to grass and foliage movement. This is an area of strong crosswinds and even 1/60th of a second doesn't stop the motion of grass.

The shot was digitized on a lightbox with Pentax K3 and 90mm f2.8 Tamron macro lens. Processed in GIMP

Thanks for looking in.

Last edited by moltogordo; August 10th, 2017 at 05:20 AM.
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old August 10th, 2017, 07:51 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: DSC_1886
Re: Cathedral Rocks, Alexandria BC and health update

Wow Gordon, all these years we were thinking the eye was one thing, and it turns out to be completely another. Nonetheless it's good news if they're right, because if they are you should be as good as new. Lol, My own issues in recent years never seem to have answers short of cutting them out.

Anyway, I love this shot, and many of your images because for me at least they give a feeling of nostalgia even though I've never been there. It's more than being b&w, it's something about the composition. pith
  #3    Top
Old August 12th, 2017, 11:48 PM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

I am glad your health is returning and I certainly know the sleep apnea and yes it would be much nicer to see the full sized print for the full effect.

I do liker the range displayed and the details in the rock is amazing.
  #4    Top
Old September 5th, 2017, 12:15 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Dark-Eyed Junco
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason

Glad to see/hear your extended hospital stay produced good news and a path in getting your health and bio-system back on track...
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places