Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 9th, 2005, 02:59 PM
Dark Caves

Can any one help me to brighten up this picture? its really dark, and using brightness/contrast seems to be of no help. Any help on this? I'm currently using photoshop CS2.

Thanks,
Piano
  #2    Top
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:19 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
First, forget the brightness and contrast tools in CS2. They are NOT a good way to adjust your images with CS2.

Second, given that this shot is underexposed, the results you get will not be as nice as you'd like.

This was done using curves in CS2. I opened a curves adjustment layer, clicked the black eyedropper and selected the darkest area, clicked the white eyedropper and clicked the whitest area, then clicked the grey eyedropper and selected a midtone area. Then I picked a point on the middle of the curve and pulled upward to lighten the midtones.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	untitled-1_404.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	165.5 KB
ID:	6012  
  #3    Top
Old August 9th, 2005, 03:45 PM
hey, well thats cool.. thanks, I guess I will head back to the natural bridge caverns, and take some better pictures..
  #4    Top
Old August 9th, 2005, 04:10 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Can you use flash? If not, use a tripod and shoot long exposures.
  #5    Top
Old August 9th, 2005, 05:00 PM
ohh.. lol.. That was taken on my trusty HP Photosmart.. I'm heading to so other caverns later this month. I will take my nikon or something with me. And turn on the nighttime flashes. blind my tour group.. hehe
  #6    Top
Old August 9th, 2005, 11:56 PM
Recent Photo: Sasha
LOL...I had a ball at Luray Caverns in Va blinding every one with my flash ? I know you mentioned the natural bridge...I assume you are in Va ?
Hosting accounts that start at $ 3 per month to fund my free animal placement service at http://www.ourcritters.net. The accounts include free domain names ,web site builder,pop3 email accounts, free 30 day trial and much more http://www.techbydesign.org
  #7    Top
Old August 10th, 2005, 04:58 PM
No, I mean the natural bridge canverns in Texas, lol.. my vacation destination this year, took around 3-4 mounths and toured texas. Cool state, really muggy though!
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101