Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 07:29 PM
LIV-N 4 GR8 FOTO OPS
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Help!! . . . Having Computer Problems

Wasn't sure where else to post this. Could you computer experts help. Ever since I downloaded some smileys from www.smileycentral.com the middle of this past week, I been getting the attached Internet Explorer message. It keeps knocking me off-line when I try to write or respond to an e-mail, or sometimes a post here (not every time here). I'm not very computer savvy, and, except for what I totally understand, am very intimidated by stuff like this.

Anyone have any suggestions? And how do I fix it? It is driving me nutz!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	error_msg_-_internet_explorer_8.27.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	6516  
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 07:32 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
It's quite possible that something you've downloaded has corrupted some files in your registry and is causing instability in XP.

Have you run a virus scan? Spyware scan? Defrag your harddrive lately?
  #3    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 07:37 PM
LIV-N 4 GR8 FOTO OPS
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Haven't defragmented lately. I'll do that tonight, as well as the anti-virus, although that runs automatically. Thanks, Carl, for your suggestions. You may be hearing from me again. I just H-A-T-E dealing with this stuff.
  #4    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 07:42 PM
Junior VIP Member
Did you have to install the smiley software? It probably overwrote a file that IE needs. Uninstall the smiley software and see if the errors go away.
  #5    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 07:52 PM
LIV-N 4 GR8 FOTO OPS
OK, DD. You're talking to someone almost completely "computer illiterate". How about some specific step-by-step, no fail uninstall instructions (I know . . . a person like me has no business using a computer!

Thanks.
  #6    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:01 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Yeah, I'm guessing the smileystuff caused the problems.

Go to 'Start' > 'Settings' > 'Control Panel' > 'Add/Remove Programs' and look for the smileycentral stuff. Highlight it, and select the add/remove button. Follow the instructions.
  #7    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:07 PM
LIV-N 4 GR8 FOTO OPS
Thanks, Tim. I'm going to try that now. Ya know, I no longer think those little rascals are very cute!!!!
  #8    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:21 PM
LIV-N 4 GR8 FOTO OPS
Tim, I followed your instructions, and did not see anything in the list of programs recognizable as the "stupid little smileys" (can you tell I'm really annoyed now?) What now? I surely don't want to remove something other than that!!! Oh, and have I mentioned, I really H-A-T-E messing with this stuff?? LOL (only I'm not laughing!).

Thanks again.
  #9    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:38 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Take a screen shot of what you have in your add/remove list, and email it to me... I'll take a look.
  #10    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Junior VIP Member
Look for an application called My Search Bar and remove it.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner