Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 08:59 PM
LIV-N 4 GR8 FOTO OPS
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Dave,
Under Startup > there is something named "MyWebSearchEmailPlugin"

Is this what you are referring to? If I remove that, I won't be deleting anything I don't want to, will I? (Jeez, I'm such a chicken!!!) (Now, this might be a place where a cute little "smiley chicken" would work!) But, seriously, have I found the right thing?
  #12    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:12 PM
Junior VIP Member
That is a component. Goto

Start' > 'Settings' > 'Control Panel' > 'Add/Remove Programs

and look for something called "My Search Bar" and click remove.
  #13    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:24 PM
LIV-N 4 GR8 FOTO OPS
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Alright, I think I've found it . . .just want to be sure.
Under the "Start>Settings>Control Panel>Add/Remove Programs", there is an item "My Web Search Bar". Is this is?
  #14    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:31 PM
Junior VIP Member
Yes. Click remove and you will uninstall the smiley software.
  #15    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:39 PM
LIV-N 4 GR8 FOTO OPS
OK, Done. I've rebooted and no more smiley icons appear on my tool bar, nor in the programs under the Add/Remove list.

Dave, thank you so much for your help . . . AND YOUR PATIENCE!!! I may have to bake you some chocolate chip cookies . . . now, if I can just remember how to use the stove. LOL!!!
  #16    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 09:43 PM
Junior VIP Member
Your welcome. But, let's see if IE behaves or still throws errors.
  #17    Top
Old August 27th, 2005, 10:18 PM
LIV-N 4 GR8 FOTO OPS
I've explored around this site, responded to a few posts, sent an e-mail to my daughter (situations where I'd previously been getting the error message )and get no such message now. Everything seems to be working as it did before the "smiley guys". Thanks again for your help.
  #18    Top
Old August 28th, 2005, 02:42 AM
Junior VIP Member
Recent Photo: EKU Fountain
I'd still check for adware or tracking software
I use Ad-Aware by Lavasoft http://www.lavasoft.com
they have a free home user version
  #19    Top
Old August 28th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Elite Member
I hate to be the bringer of bad news, but this is sorta something most IE users encounter. Why? Because it's a microsoft product.

I would suggest downloading (though it will take ages on dial up) Mozilla Firefox. It's a much more stable browser. I love it.
  #20    Top
Old August 28th, 2005, 06:20 AM
LIV-N 4 GR8 FOTO OPS
I'll definitely give these suggestions some thought. Thanks for sending them.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner