Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old November 1st, 2005, 02:35 PM
Image Stabilization

Is there any other IS lenses for a Nikon D series camera other than the sigma lense?

Also are there ANY IS lenses for any camera that could be capable of a 90 degreeangle of view?

One more question, what other techniques could be used to cancel out the movement of a camera moving say upto 10mm apart from gyros?

Thank you!
  #2    Top
Old November 1st, 2005, 03:19 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Vernal Equinox
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Nikon brand lenses that have image stabilization are designated with the VR in their model name. The VR stands for vibration reduction. As for a 90 degree angle of view look at a super wide angle and or fisheye lenses some of which go past 90 degrees. Your angle of view will vary depending if you are shooting 35mm film vs. a dslr with less than a full frame sensor.

Not sure how to answer your last question. I'll leave that one to someone more technically minded than me.

Moderator Emeritus

Great photographs are never taken they are created.
  #3    Top
Old November 1st, 2005, 04:54 PM
Thanks Dan,

Maybe a silly question but.....

When the angle for a lens is quoted at x for 35mm format and y for nikon dx format, if i'm using a nikon d series camera does that mean i will beuse the dx format or can i still get a 35mm format and get a wider angle with the camera?
  #4    Top
Old November 1st, 2005, 04:56 PM
just reading dans answer think i've just answered my own question, if its a digital camera it can't be 35mm format can it? so therfore it'll be the dx format angle right?
  #5    Top
Old November 1st, 2005, 05:29 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Vernal Equinox
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveo
just reading dans answer think i've just answered my own question, if its a digital camera it can't be 35mm format can it? so therfore it'll be the dx format angle right?
Yes you're right. With digital the sensor is smaller than the film plane in a 35mm so you effectively lose some of your angle of view. It is also commonly referred to as the "cropping factor". You in gain in effective focal length but you also lose in angle of view due to this. Most dslr's have a factor around 1.5 so a 200mm lens on a 35mm will effectively operate like a 300mm lens on a dslr. On the wide end a 12mm becomes a 18mm thus decreasing your angle of view.

Moderator Emeritus

Great photographs are never taken they are created.
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101