Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old April 3rd, 2006, 03:37 PM
Elite Member
Many dye-sub printers will print as large as 8x10 now. They are not protable but print in very high quality. It is probably still cheaper to send them out for processing.
  #12    Top
Old April 5th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Premiere Member
I got a great deal from Snapfish, so I use them a lot. That was a great article, but I will stick with letting someone else do it...lol.
  #13    Top
Old April 5th, 2006, 03:56 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I cheat and send my pics to Sams Club.

It's very convenient for me since most of my pics are of school kids for the yearbook or my own kids. It's very easy to get home, edit, upload to Sams Club, then pick up in an hour. I've never once had a bad print job. It's cheap and fast! - Gosh I love digital!

I'm a photographer not a terrorist
http://www.flickr.com/people/ajreamsphotography/
Canon 20D, Canon S1is, Canon Elan 7n
Canon 28-135 3.5-5.6, Canon 70-200 F4L, 420EX speedlite
  #14    Top
Old April 6th, 2006, 01:45 PM
Elite Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mexicutioner
I found some extremely good deals on my ink cartridges for my r2400 in one of those links, thanks a lot.
Care to share the website? thanks. R
  #15    Top
Old April 29th, 2006, 04:38 PM
Wish I knew of a lab that could print in 15 mins.. Honestly I feel that very few of the labs here give much attention to quality. I have found that you end up with a blue or green cast on the prints in most cases. I do most of my own printing on an Epson 880 and as long as I use glossy 255 gsm paper the results are quite good.
  #16    Top
Old April 29th, 2006, 06:25 PM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I have an Epson 2200 and have used it for the last several years. Since I got it, I've not used a lab to print at all. If you take care of the prints the way prints should be taken care of, they will last ever bit as long as the RC paper equivelent that you get out of labs today... in fact, a lot of labs also use ink jet to print on, it's just a higher quality version. Even silver paper prints printed and processed for archival conditions, won't last that long if they are left out in the sun, allowed to collect dust on them, kept in too hot or to cold or too humid of an invornement. So just because a custom lab is used, does not mean that the prints will last any longer than the better quality ink jet prints will last.

I don't print myself because it's cheaper than a lab... in most cases, it's not. But yes, it is more convenent, faster and in a lot of cases when I am trying different settings, crops and tweaks, I can find out the combination that works a lot faster and cheaper. Try doing that by sending out for prints, making changes, sending them out again, make some more changes, etc.

I print in mostly 8x10 and 12x18 size. Although the paper comes in 8.5x11 and 13x19 size and they have to be trimmed down. I wish they came in the proper size so I didn't have to trim, but I've gotten pretty good at it and have a decent rotary trimmer. Although Epson makes excellent paper, the best paper that I have found is Ilford Smooth Pearl paper. This stuff is great and eleminates a few of the problems with banding that Epson paper seems to have from time to time. I go through hundreds of boxes of this stuff.

I have also taken my Epson 2200 on location with me when I've gone to multi-day events. I don't print while I'm shooting (I'm too busy), but I can print off some large samples that night to put up for people to see the next morning. This always goes over real big and I like it better than setting up my laptop with a slide show of the images.

I wish I could upgrade to the new Epson 4400 or even a 9600, but I don't print as much as I use too, so I can't really justify it right now. Maybe one of these days.

Mike
  #17    Top
Old May 1st, 2006, 09:56 AM
That was an informative article Tim. Many good photographer wasted time and effort when it comes to printing their photos 'cause they just don't know how to retain the quality of the photos they capture when it comes now to printing. Some can't decide what printers to use,what type of paper, and the likes.
  #18    Top
Old May 1st, 2006, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason31
Another thing to do also is to take your photos and make sure they are sharpened up really good in photoshop or similar product. It can make a ver big difference on how it looks on print. It may look bad on the computer screen but if you do it right it will be crip when printed. Great Article though.
about how much should you sharpen it?
Sponsors
  #19    Top
Old January 4th, 2012, 08:01 AM
Image which just will not print well...

To start with, I am working with a recently calibrated monitor.

I have a photograph which, when printed, looses shadow/dark detail which is critical to the image. I have tried matching the blacks to printed output range of my local lab, but still have had no success.

Suggestions?
  #20    Top
Old November 28th, 2014, 04:31 AM
Re: Printing Your Digital Photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDeyoe View Post
Honestly what is the point of printing inkjet at all?

1) It's expensive
2) The quality is unusable for more then just family snapshots
3) It lasts a fraction of the time of silvered paper prints
etc.

The only advantage is convienence, and it's a small one over emailing your photos to a lab and picking them up in 15 minutes.
I have to agree - most printers seem to have a mind of their own as to how to function. I remember a video of a guy 'fixing' his Canon printer by throwing it out of a first floor window - how many of us have felt like that - it's the postal lab for me.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles