Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Member Introductions

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old October 3rd, 2004, 07:13 PM
Hi Mark and welcome.

Looks like the Canadians may be out doing the Texans now.
  #12    Top
Old October 3rd, 2004, 07:14 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I think theres more texans still, but not by much.
  #13    Top
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:12 PM
Junior VIP Member
Hi everyone, from over the rainbow to western Canada. Thanks for the warm welcome!

I think it was Tim who asked what type of equipment I am currently using. My main body is Canon EOS 1, with HS drive, back up is EOS 650 (i still love that camera, works great and as sturdy as you want) 35 - 70, 3.5 & 80 - 200, 2.8 (my baby!) 85, 1.2, and 550 flash. I am happy with what I have, but of course always want the latest and greatest. I am not using digital yet, however if I am to get the my business going the way I hope, the change will be coming soon. The new EOS-1 DS-2(?) sounds amazing, 16mp (?) just wondering who will underwrite the mortgage needed to buy the thing! Anyone know a ball park idea on price?

I do have one question and any input would be greatly appreciated. Simply put, would you rather use a Digital SLR, or film and Neg Scanner? Your thoughts are welcome and appreciated. Type of work is portrait, (family, fashion & headshot) and wedding work.

Thanks again for the welcome, eh! (blatant Canadian slang!)

Mark.
  #14    Top
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:21 PM
Senior VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark
The new EOS-1 DS-2(?) sounds amazing, 16mp (?) just wondering who will underwrite the mortgage needed to buy the thing! Anyone know a ball park idea on price?
US$7,999 for the body

http://www.dpreview.com/articles/canoneos1dsmkii/

Maybe should just aim for 8.2MP cameras like the Canon 20D (US$1,499) or the 1D Mark2 (US$4,499)
Sponsors
  #15    Top
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:37 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I heard the new Canon 1d mark 2, what ever the new name will be will be 17mp and around $8000 us. :0).

I prefer digital myself, makes life easier if you have to convert it to the pc anywase.
  #16    Top
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:38 PM
VIP Member
Sure rob, beat me to it eh? hehe.

My goal is for the Canon 10D unless the 20D drops down to $1100us.
  #17    Top
Old October 3rd, 2004, 09:52 PM
Junior VIP Member
$8000 US$, should make it about $11,000-$12,000 Canadain? Sounds great, I'll take two!!

I am sure it is a great camera, and I know Canon wants to own the digital market, but how much difference (really) will there be for the average clients who want a good family or wedding pic, and will not be enlarging to a point where it will wallpaper a room in a house? Maybe it is late and I am cynical, but I cant see news photogs using this thing, letterpress or offset press is not going to give it justice! I am sure it will sell, I guess I am just jealous they wont be selling a new one to me in the near future.

Rob, I think you are right, the 8.2's are looking good!

Gerry, thank you for you info, are you printing at home for clients or having a lab print for you?

Mark.
http://www.west1photo.zoomshare.com
http://www.thelondoner.ca
  #18    Top
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:07 PM
VIP Member
I dont like my printer prints, of course I dont have a real photograph printer, so for now im using a lab do it for me. For now its Walmart but if I was to do a wedding, I want a printer that can make the whites white, etc, so a reliable color profile. But I also want the picture to last long with out fading and I dont know of a pro place that will do that. It seems www.whcc.com *thats recommended here a bunch of times* uses the paper that lasts 7 years before fading, same paper as walmart. I know theres pro shots, and theres one over by Toronto, but I dont know how to start or how much they are, thier site isnt informative in that area.

And you can print a 6mp picture from a dslr to sizes up to billboards with interpolating and enlarging techniques. Pro places can usually do this better than photoshop can. Its all about how large the print is and how close you stand to it. If your at a billboard, you dont look at it a foot away, so it doetsn have to be the same quality as an 8X10 is at that close range.

The nice thing about 17mp is cropping ability, and if you want a larger print, you can get more detail into it.
  #19    Top
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:11 PM
VIP Member
forgot to list my printers.

HP Deskjet 812C *my first real printer*
Lexmark ummmm, 3 in 1, scanner, printer and supposedly fax.

Then I picked up another one hp and one lexmark printers at yard sales this summer, think thier both older than the ones I got.
  #20    Top
Old October 3rd, 2004, 10:37 PM
Junior VIP Member
Gerry.
Thanks for the info. I need to do a little playing around to see which looks the best and at what price. There is a independant lab in Brantford, and the printing seems to be pretty good. They are twice as much as Wal-mart, but they have good staff.

Good point on the 17mp, if you need tight crop, that will be a big plus, and you are right, billboard size you will not be too close.

Well the fun part is finding out.

Mark.
http://www.west1photo.zoomshare.com
http://www.thelondoner.ca
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Member Introductions