Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#61    Top
Old October 25th, 2004, 01:22 AM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Yup, we're an interesting and entertaining bunch if nothing else.
Sponsors
  #62    Top
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:46 AM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Not me. I'm not interesting at all. But I do like making some popcorn and watching "As Photography Corner Turns" sometimes.

It is sad, however that threads like this might be the first thing a potential new member sees.
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
  #63    Top
Old October 25th, 2004, 09:58 AM
Junior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by drlynn
Not me. I'm not interesting at all. But I do like making some popcorn and watching "As Photography Corner Turns" sometimes.

It is sad, however that threads like this might be the first thing a potential new member sees.
Now now... threads like this make theis place WAY more interesting!! People have ideas and opinions and aren't afraid to speak their minds... even if it means calling someone rightfully so a wanker! And other people getting their egos bruised because they feel other people are photosnobs or picture whores!

There are so many photoforums out there that are "happy kitty flowerland" It would be so sad if this place turned into that. Hell it's on the verge. I'm soooo pleased this thread isn't locked!! I find censorship downright revolting. If a thread like this scared new members away they wouldn't last here in the first place.
  #64    Top
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:21 AM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I agree with you to an extent, PC. I don't care for forums where everything is wonderful and nobody wants to give honest feedback on photographs. I'm glad that the folks here aren't afraid to give their honest opinions.

What I don't care for is when the arguments get away from the photograph and become personal. That does nothing to help the person who submitted the photo learn to become a better photographer. It only makes the people involved in the personal attacks appear to be small and shallow.

How does it help to start calling people names? Pointing out spam is completely appropriate, but beyond that, I think Tim can handle it fine, just as he did with the kid who started this thread.
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
  #65    Top
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:33 AM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Thanks, drlynn... yeah, there's a line between happy, kitty land, and calling people names... we don't need to flame people here... just tell them their photography sucks and how they can improve, not that they're idiots and they should pick up sewing instead or something.
  #66    Top
Old October 25th, 2004, 12:55 PM
Junior VIP Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L. Walker
Thanks, drlynn... yeah, there's a line between happy, kitty land, and calling people names... we don't need to flame people here... just tell them their photography sucks and how they can improve, not that they're idiots and they should pick up sewing instead or something.
I have never called anyone names while critiquing their photo... other than of course spammers who I consider scum of the internet anyway.

As far as telling someone they should pick a different career...well that's directly related to my opinion of their work. I do think that too is part of honest critique especially when a person is oblivious to help when it is offered.

People like that do not improve. I'm not going to tell them they have a chance of making it when they don't. I work in the industry of photography and have done so for many years. Photography is cut throat. It's competitive and it's difficult to make living. Everyone "wants" to be a photographer. Few actually make it.

I believe it is an injustice to tell someone who is mediocre and NOT getting any better that oh yes you too could make a living in photography.

May that hurt someone's feeling? Sure. Do I intend on destroying their pipe dreams? No. But a dose of reality isn't a bad thing. Everyone needs a plan B... and if you ask for my professional advice I give it. I'm not your college professor who's obligated to make you believe that your chosen career path is one you can actually make a living at because you paid tuition to be part of our "photography program."

With that said...I see a good dose of talent on this board. In the few months I've been here I've even seen some people improve which is exciting to me. It's really great to see someone grow in their work. There is a difference between those who use photography as an expression of art, those who shoot for clients and those who take "snapshots". I've seen a few folks grow out of taking "snapshots" which is great.
  #67    Top
Old October 25th, 2004, 10:21 PM
The Corner Creator
Fair enough, fair enough... as long as that's how it is, I'm all for it. I love constructive critisism, and I'm not suggesting to fluffy-up critiques or anything... but I think we can tell people that their photos sucks whiel also giving suggestions. If you're going to heavily and harshly critique a photo (and I have nothing against that), I think you owe the person you're critiquing the courtesy of telling them how you think they could have improved or done the shot better, not just tell them it sucked.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things