Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old December 28th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Studio Strobes or Continuous Lighting?

Hello all, for the past 6 or 7 years I've been using an older Novatron lighting kit in my studio. They do a great job but allow very little for varible lighting changes. They are almost full power all the time. I am in the market for a new lighting setup for my studio now. My cash is tight and I would like to get at least 3 strobes that would allow me to adjust the F-Stop on each unit as needed. Do you have any suggestions or would you suggest me going with a continuous lighting kit? I use a new Canon DSLR along with Photoshop CS2...you see where all my money went. Any help, suggestions, tips, etc. would be greatly appreciated!!! My site is www.mwephoto.com if you'd like to see some of my work. My e-mail is mwephoto@yahoo.com Thanks, Jereme
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old December 29th, 2005, 06:53 PM
Banned
Studio Strobes or Continuous Lighting?

I am also looking at a lighting kit and I think I will go with strobes because continuous light does not remain the same the whole way threw, after a couple of hours of use on the light bulbs the light changes, where strobes remain pretty much the same because they are not on long enought to heat up and weaken the bulb, they fire and thats it, they cool down, just my idea but something to consider.
  #3    Top
Old December 29th, 2005, 08:37 PM
Junior VIP Member
The only real problem with continuous lighting is the heat problem. Proper photofloods do not chandge color or temp. I would really look at an Alien Bees setup. This is waht I did when my old novatrons started giving me trouble
http://byuphoto.blogspot.com
  #4    Top
Old December 29th, 2005, 08:43 PM
Photo Traveler
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I would also recommend Alien Bees.

They are a quality strobe and are reasonably priced. We used them in my studio and i am more than happy with them.

Check out my Galleries at:

http://dehmphoto.smugmug.com
  #5    Top
Old December 30th, 2005, 07:07 PM
Account Disabled
I haven't used continous lighting yet, but White Lighting strobes work very well, each can be adjusted independently of eachother, and your modeling lights can be set in proportion to your flash power if you choose. They make a nice kit.
  #6    Top
Old January 8th, 2006, 10:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by GREAPER
I would also recommend Alien Bees.

They are a quality strobe and are reasonably priced. We used them in my studio and i am more than happy with them.
i love my bees... i use 2 b800s with softboxes... i also use two cheap ebay slave strobes to wash out high key backrounds... i would go with the bees if your looking to save money and get kickin lights... just my opinion though good luck
  #7    Top
Old January 17th, 2006, 12:47 PM
I'm another Bee owner who thinks they are a good deal. I like their versatility and relatively low price.
  #8    Top
Old May 15th, 2006, 03:33 PM
There are continous light system on the market that elminate the color temperature fluctuation. People started to get excellent results with continuous cool lights which explains Wescott's spider lights similarily modeled after XPRO V401 continuous cool lights.

Check out our product or feel free to contact us if you have questions with continuous lights. www.xprogear.com
  #9    Top
Old May 16th, 2006, 08:43 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Image_04502
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
alien bees is what i use, not only are they a good light but you can choose what color they come in!
whitelighting is the same company and just their higher end. i have been pleased with them. about $300 a light.
  #10    Top
Old May 16th, 2006, 09:17 AM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I've searched the internet for the same reason, I need to buy studio/locations strobes. The Alien Bees will be my choice. Cost plus many recommendations. I believe that I read that the same people that build the White Lightning strobes also build the Alien Bees.

http://www.robgardnerphotography.com

I believe-
That two people can look at the exact same thing and see something totally different.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101