Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Photography News

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 19th, 2004, 05:08 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Why Photography Has Supersized Itself

Article: Why Photography Has Supersized Itself
[edit]link removed - article is no longer there[/edit]

Summary: A discussion on the evolution of photography on an "enlarged" scale. While originally photography was limited to a smaller print size due to a lack of quality paper and limitations of equipment able to enlarge photographs. Now, however, because of advancement not only to equipment, but also the quality of paper available, photography is now easily enlarged to be viewed much like paintings. The article states that the growth in the size of photographs has been due to "a long-standing feeling in the art world that photography was, perhaps, a second-class citizen... once it became possible to make authoritative large-scale prints, photographers could challenge the other arts, especially painting, on a level playing field."

Any photography can now be made to look huge, but, as stated in the article, not every photograph warrents such an honour. "For too many photographers, however, bigger is not better, a weak image doesn't suddenly look important when it's blown up to the size of a store window."

Question: Do you agree that in the past photography has been viewed in the art community as a "second-class citizen"? Have you ever had any photographs "enlarged" and placed on display?
  #2    Top
Old April 20th, 2004, 01:12 AM
Premiere Member
I've never really thought of photography as second-class to painting or sculpting, but I guess that makes sense that in the art community, it could be viewed like that. I'm not sure if the advancements will really change that feeling, though, if it really exists... I do have a picture I took slightly enlarged and I made several copies of it and framed it for members of my family... it was a picture of our old dog
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old April 20th, 2004, 10:14 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I've never really had a conversation about photography being 2nd-class to painting or anything, but I can see why that would be the case... I, of course, would disagree, though... hehe. I've never had any of my pictures ever displayed in a gallery or anything... but maybe one day!
  #4    Top
Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:16 AM
I've talked to painters who said this, that painting was a "higher art" than photogrphy. I can sort of see their point, but don't know whether or not I agree. The main thing is to enjoy it, whether it's painting, photography, or both.
  #5    Top
Old May 3rd, 2004, 01:57 AM
The Corner Creator
Exactly... I don't see it as a competition... while they are both art, they are very different and take different skills...
  #6    Top
Old May 9th, 2004, 03:37 PM
Premiere Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L. Walker
Exactly... I don't see it as a competition... while they are both art, they are very different and take different skills...
Yeah, good point. A lot of people don't realize the skill and time it can take to snap a great photograph... trust me, I've been trying!
  #7    Top
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:41 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
To me photography is 2nd to painting. Just cuz not anyone can pick upa brush and create something really nice looking, but alot can do that with a camera. Id rather spend $$$$ on a nice painting than a nice photograph personally. Hopefully those that want to buy my work doesnt agree with that *smirks*. Theres also something nice about the texture of a painting, its not flat like a painting.
  #8    Top
Old June 17th, 2004, 11:49 PM
The Corner Creator
But a really good photograph can really bring alive a scene... I guess it's personal opinion, but I would take a great photograph over a painting any day. Otherwise this might have been PaintographyCorner.com
  #9    Top
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:00 AM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Just combine the 2. Take a picture and using software convert it into a painting and with other software get a painter *not printer* that paints the print with brush strokes. :0). Im sure its been done.

And some paintings can really bring a scene alive as well. I got a couple nice ones of wildlife at a yard sale last year. well more than a couple.
  #10    Top
Old June 18th, 2004, 12:30 AM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Photography has had to struggle since it's easrly days to even be recognized as an artform. Even today, go to most book stores and look at where the photography books are placed. It's only been in the last 10 years that stores and libraries have started placing phorography books in the art section.

Grab a college catalog,, and see which department houses the photography classes. Again, inclusion as an art is within the last 10-15 years.

I believe that photography is just as much an artform as any other. In many respects it's even more difficult an artform to practice.

The writer creates from a blank page. The painter creates from a blank canvas. The photographer has to find a subject and pull art from it.

Just my $0.02.
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Photography News