Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 8th, 2006, 01:05 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
DOF preview on Nikon

I havn;t figured out how this works? i hold down the button under the lense but i don;t notice anythign happening? can someone maybe help me oiut here?>
  #2    Top
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:15 PM
Premiere Member
I don't know beans about a DOF Preview on a Digital, but I know how they work (at least for me) on a regular film SLR.

Play with your apature then you may notice a difference. Maybe try the subject with a 2.8. then mayabe an 11, then maybe a 22 or something like that and you should notice a difference.

It will allow you to see what is and what is not in focus. For exmaple if you want what is right in front to be in focus you can blur the background and the DOF Preview will show you how it looks. Or if say you want to make the bars of a zoo cage melt away you are essentially blurring the cage out of the shot but the image behnd it is in focus.

Oh yes, I am very sad my current camera does not have this feature, I really love that feature. When I was in the camera store asking about the model I ultimately bought I asked about it and the guy looked at me like what in the world would you want that for? He was also a little critical of my wanting apature control (this was the camera store guy). Go figure.
  #3    Top
Old January 8th, 2006, 03:36 PM
Photo Traveler
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
If you have the camera set to the largest aperature (smallest number) the DOF preview button does not do anything as it is already looking through the lens at that aperature.

Stop the camera down to f/16 and press the button.

It should get a lot darker and the DOF the sensor will see will be what you see through the veiwfinder,

Check out my Galleries at:

http://dehmphoto.smugmug.com
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101