Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Member Introductions

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old May 28th, 2004, 07:28 PM
Hello world!

I'm Jack Cowley and I am retired from my own kitchen and remodeling business. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area (lucky me!!) and I have dabbled in photography for my own amusement and amazement for a very long time. I was introduced to digital photos when a friend visiting from the UK bought a Pentax because it was cheaper here. After I saw what could be done with a relatively inexpensive camera and my computer I realized that I could have instant gratification instead of waiting for Costco to do my prints.

My first digital camera was/is an Olympus D-560 which has taken, in my humble opinion, some very good photographs. I just purchased a Minolta A1 as I wanted more control over exposure and particularly focus. The Minolta should do all that I want, but the learning curve is steep but worth it as far as I am concerned.

A professional photographer friend showed me this forum so I signed up as I have a lot to learn and this looks like the place for me!

I am looking forward to chatting with other members and learning more about what I can do with my new camera.

Jack
  #2    Top
Old May 28th, 2004, 08:15 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Hey Jack... glad to have you here. Hopefully we can help you grow and learn as a photographer. How did your professional photographer friend find this forum, do you know? We've only been around for not even 2 months now, I think.
  #3    Top
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:41 PM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Welcome from a Photography Corner co-noob!
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
  #4    Top
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:46 PM
My friend is a wedding photographer in Melbourne and has a web site and is considering adding a forum. In persuing that he has been looking at forums and those that use the phpBB software in particular and I think he came across your site by chance. We have been discussing forum colors and he showed me this site to get my input. I not only like the color but I also felt that you had something to offer and that I might have some experience to share as well. So here I am; serendipity at its best....

Jack
  #5    Top
Old May 28th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Thank you drlynn.

Interesting that you are 'drlynn' as my old family physician was Dr. Lynn... And who said the Internet was boring....

Jack
  #6    Top
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:17 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Hey Jack, welcome to the forum. Im also a new addition to this forum (For about a week now ) and Ive learnt a lot from quite a few of the forums I have joined.

Cant wait to see some of your Minolta Magic
  #7    Top
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:23 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Hey Jack... if you friend wants a hand with his, he's welcome to contact me... we could even maybe work something out where he could become a "special guest" on the board, and we could provide him with a special section on the forum (depending on what he wants to do with his forum, of course). Glad that you like the colors here. I wanted it to be different, but not too crazy... Glad the content here is helping out some too.
  #8    Top
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:31 PM
Thanks Kara! Say, aren't you the displaced Kiwi? I can't remember how long you have been here but if it is less than 5 years then Welcome to the USA and Montana in particular. A great State but a bit too far north for a native of California...

Jack

PS. Attached is an attempt at some 'Minolta magic'...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thistle2.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	175  Click image for larger version

Name:	thistle2.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	176  
  #9    Top
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:33 PM
The Corner Creator
Cool, very intriguing photo... I found myself just starting at it... nicely done.
  #10    Top
Old May 28th, 2004, 10:41 PM
Tim -

I will definitely talk to my friend in Melbourne and I am sure that he would be interested in talking to you. It is Saturday for him so I doubt that I will hear from him before Sunday our time. I will let you know what I find out and I will let you know before he makes contact.

A question for you before I leave and that is is there a way to reply to a specific post rather than adding a post to the entire thread? If I want to specifically reply to Kara, for example, is there a way to do that other than a PM?

Thanks and I will keep you posted on 'The Melbourne Connection'!

Jack
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Member Introductions