Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
  #11    Top
Old July 8th, 2006, 04:34 PM
While I agree with the idea, It should be recognized that better equipment can ease the frustration of learning. Bad equipment can cause bad photographs even when the photographer has done what he can. Digital photography has done the one thing that can help make good photographers; it has made photography affordable. I learn by experimenting and I couldn't do as much if I were still paying for film processing or chemicals.
  #12    Top
Old July 8th, 2006, 06:27 PM
Elite Member
It is all about the photographer, you can see my take on the subject here.
Sponsors
  #13    Top
Old July 22nd, 2006, 11:22 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
The article is speaking truth. You don't need a $1000.00+ camera to take breathtaking shots. What you need is a knowledge of white-balance, how light affects your photography and to know how to use your camera inside and out. You need to know layout...and when to deviate from it. Above all, EXPERIMENT and shoot. You can take breathtaking photos with a $250.00 digital point and shoot if you know how to use the camera to the best of YOUR ability.
My Gear
  #14    Top
Old July 22nd, 2006, 02:08 PM
The Better Half
Recent Photo: The Lady
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Thanks Tim for sharing this article. It actually helps inspire me; whom those who don't know me or have seen my posts, I'm basically a new photographer. I believe the point here is that yes, while the better digital slr's will help a person get better quality photos or be able to enhance a shot exactly how they'd like to have it, it doesn't mean a thing if the person doesn't open his mind, his eyes, his ears, and his heart to see the photograph first before he ever presses the button on the camera. A photographer has to have a good eye and be thoughtful of their surroundings. They have to listen with their ears, especially those of us who like taking wildlife photography. But most of all, a photographer has to open his heart because without the passion for photography, the pictures will just be mundane. I truly believe that "photography" has nothing to do with cameras, but is directly relied upon the people behind them.

And, we truly have some wonderful photographers on this forum with all sorts of cameras, including little point & shoots.

Thanks again Tim for sharing this with us. Again, I'm inspired.
"Capturing Life One Photo At A Time"
comments, critiques, and suggestions always welcomed :-)
  #15    Top
Old July 23rd, 2006, 01:55 AM
very inspiring article. i was thinking about upgrading to a dlsr from my current FZ5, but i think i'll stick with it for a while more and improve my technique before making the investment.
  #16    Top
Old October 19th, 2006, 11:36 PM
Elite Member
AMEN!! I could not agree with you more. Thank you for sharing this article. I enjoyed it very much.
  #17    Top
Old October 21st, 2006, 01:01 PM
Premiere Member
Damn right

I'd like to echo the comments in the article and also Amy's :o)

I think it worth reminding folks to not only look up but look BEHIND you.. so many times we've done favourite walks backwards to how we normally walk them and it's amazing how different they can be and how you can see stuff you never saw cos you always went clockwise round the walk or whatever.

Now I'm off to buy a top of the range speedlite for my EOSd so I can be a professional flash photographer and take great pro flash pics. Those cheap ones only emit cheapo light, they spoil all my pics ;o))) *** cough ***
  #18    Top
Old October 21st, 2006, 07:54 PM
Hippy Chick
Recent Photo: 102_3756
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
above all and beyond we will all have our own opinions and I just want to say Thanks Tim I enjoyed reading this.. Rosie
  #19    Top
Old October 23rd, 2006, 12:57 AM
Premiere Member
I think I get the point of the article, but it strikes me as too "purist". Without the camera, there would be no photography, we would all be doing paintings of the images in our minds.

The camera is part of my tool set, as a hammer, saw and screwdriver are part of a carpenter's tool kit. If the carpenter has a wonderful image of a beautiful cabinet in his mind, he is going to be hardpressed to build that cabinet without the proper tools.

He can build the cabinet the hard way, with very rudimentary tools or he can use power tools. In the end, it's the same beautiful cabinet that is produced. But it was produced in half the time with half the agravation. So, is the cabinet any less valuable and beautiful because the carpenter used the best possible power tools to build it?

Being skillful with the tools AND having some imagination (well maybe ALOT of imagination) is the key to good photography. They are equally important.

Especially for the beginner, if they can use the automatic modes of a camera, they can concentrate on their creativity rather than the details of how to use the square box with a shutter they are holding in their hands. If they own crappy equipment, they are so caught up with how to use the box that there is no mindshare left for composing the image.
  #20    Top
Old January 27th, 2007, 03:00 AM
five-oh photographer
Now, I wish I hadn't thrown away that Disposable camera.
I couldn't agree more. Many times I've taken pictures that I've hated only to be encouraged by other people who see something completely different than what I was trying to capture; however,
occassionally I've taken pictures were someone has been stunned by seeing what I was tring to capture and realizing that they would not have seen that perspective in a million years, if it hadn't been captured on film.(or a memory card)

My apoogies for the rthread revival.

Stop reading and go shoot, shoot and shoot some more.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference.
-Robert Frost
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles