Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
  #21    Top
Old January 30th, 2007, 03:31 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
It really doesn't matter what camera took the shot; it's the knowledge on how to use your existing camera to it's best output. Many people upgrade their camera because it's the "newest thing out there" and then get "learning curved" out of their mind.

This was done with a .35 MP Agfa EPhoto 780c (less than one megapixel) now deceased and has turned out better than some of my D50 pics. I like the D50 for it's flexibility in terms of focal length (with the interchangeable lenses) but I still miss the Agfa and just being able to truly point & shoot, not having to come up with how to figure out white balance, or ISO and f/stop, etc etc.

My Gear
  #22    Top
Old February 2nd, 2007, 12:44 PM
Junior VIP Member
Absolutely

This shot is just wonderful, and goes to show that we really don't need the newest and "best" camera equipment to make nice artistic shots. Yes, I want a new D70 or D80, but I get nice results with my old F301 film SLR already.

You bring up a nice point here, good reading. Here is one of the results I have gotten with my old film cam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FH000016_edited.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	448.9 KB
ID:	43201  
http://www.mountainmonster.freeforums.org
  #23    Top
Old February 9th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: "Eklektik Elektrik"
Totally

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L. Walker View Post
That is for sure...I once did a photo shoot for a fashion magazine using about 50 disposible Fuji camera's, 'cause that was the look I wanted....

Ben
  #24    Top
Old February 14th, 2007, 04:15 AM
Completely agree with this mate. You can be the worst photographer in the world and there isn't a camera out there that will help you become great.

It is all about seeing the shot and having the creative mind to implement it.
  #25    Top
Old February 15th, 2007, 09:49 PM
Recent Photo: bolderdash
quite inspiring
  #26    Top
Old February 23rd, 2007, 08:34 AM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: Pretty Purple Passion
Thanks so much for this artical , I one really needed to see it. I belong to many online groups who think it is all about the camera and the lense and how far they have gone to get that one perfet shot. I also have friends who feel the same way. Well I am living proof that your camera is just a work tool that it is just an extention of who a photographer is. I was given my fist digi back hristmas in 06 and began to take some of the most beautiful pictures . With a Kodak z700 point and shoot (4.1) mp I won a contest at a local plantation house .I won 3 rd place out of 300 entries( ribbon,cert.and money). Goung into this contest I was really worried since I had seen a few of the entries and they were from professional photographers who owned their own companies . None of them placed and I did . Geesh what a feeling. So now I live by this rule : God has given the world a gift of beauty and has given me the eye to cherrish it and threw my heart of love for photography I allow my camera and lense to capture the beauty that went from my eye to my heart to my camera. I have a true passion in photography w/ no formal training but threw everyday learning and hands on I share my gift with many many clients.

Capturing timeless treasures of what God allows us to see with the naked eye
  #27    Top
Old February 25th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Preferred Member
Recent Photo: IMG_0321_copy_copy
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Great article and wonderful posts. I agree that you need a camera to be a photographer,but like other people have said,the best camera in the world would not make you a better photographer.
  #28    Top
Old March 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM
At first, before even reading the whole article, I was thinking "well, let take away his camera then see how he could come up with a photograph!" . Nevertheless, the author did spoke the truth. First, the thing around us, then the person behind the camera, and last is the camera itself. I can shared with you a true story, about 4 years ago, when a friend of mine invited me to his daughter wedding. He just bought a brand new Canon 10D and proud with his new toy, while I bring my Canon G3 (P&S) . Anyway, at the end of the day, after I did some simple adjustments with Adobe PS 7.0 version, people with lot of "uh, ah!" when viewing and have asked for a copy of my pictures more than his 10D "snap-shots".

How one can compares an Civil Engineering like him to an oil painting artist like myself in term of skill set? My friend can easily tell how much a human's built structure can withstand a bad weather & so on, so forth, while I know nothing about it. So, again - it's the skill/talent that we have or built up is more important than the tool itself.

QV
Sponsors
  #29    Top
Old March 10th, 2007, 04:39 PM
i fervently disagree with this article. Don't yell at me yet, just read.

I do not own a DSLR. I do not own an advanced point and shoot. I have a simple, point and shoot digital camera. I feel that when i take pictures, i look at them and sigh, because the camera just can't reproduce what i see. I cannot...
a) control aperture
b) control exposure
c) control ISO
d) control shutter speed
e) use macro
f) many other things
For example, i once saw a child running to his father with his arms in the air and a smile on his face. I took a picture, and i looked back...everything is in focus. The tree, the bench, the fat guy smoking, the two girls chatting...it completely and utterly ruined the photograph to the point that i deleted it. If i could control the aperture, as i envisioned it, this picture might have been magnificent! Here's another example. I was in Portugal at Christmas time, and off in the distance, a castle stood valiantly and the sky was beautiful. Unfortunately, i could not zoom in enough, and furthermore the castle was just a little rectangle looking thing in the background, a product of low resolution. There are many other instances where the lack of control over the camera completely ruined an incredible shot. Trust me when i say, a DSLR would increase the quality of my photos exponentially
  #30    Top
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:28 AM
The article expresses an interesting philosophical approach to photography.

I agree with the ideas, but I don't think that the article will turn any screws inside the pixel peepers and the photographic equipment fetishists who need the newest, the "best" and the most expensive toys.

The proposal of the article can be compared to the writing craft. Will a word processor (i.e. "computer") make one a better writer than the guy who wrote with a typewriter (i.e. boat anchor)?

The answer is "yes".

The answer is also "no".

It doesn't matter which tool the writer uses. If he doesn't have anything to say, or doesn't have the verbal skills to say it in an interesting and effective way, it doesn't matter which tool he uses.By the same token, if the writer doesn't know how to use his tool, it doesn't matter if he uses the latest 10,000 mhz Dell with a billion mega-rats of resident memory or if he uses a chamber pot. The result will be the same.