Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
  #71    Top
Old March 26th, 2012, 12:56 PM
Elite Member
Re: Photography has Nothing to Do With Cameras

I thank Agiledogs for retrieving this old thread.

I find the title of the article to be totally wrong. It came as a suprise that so many agreed with it.

First of all we wouldn't be photographers if we didn't have cameras. That is the method that we "draw with light". Without it we are only potential artists because we have no other method to use to record and show what we see in our mind. Visualizing or as we commonly call it," having a good eye", For some of us a P&S is incapable of giving us the abilities for the type of photography we wish to be involved. Knowing our camera as well as lighting and composition is very important important in caapturing what we see or wish to portray. Together the previsualisation and the camera skills as well as the proper equipment for the job is what makes us good or bad photographers. A healthy dose of art helps also.
  #72    Top
Old March 29th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Elite Member

when i bought my 5d mkii all of a sudden all the girls were all over me
  #73    Top
Old December 11th, 2012, 12:28 AM
Recent Photo: BW Conversion
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason

This article and other I have read almost remind me of the fallacy of the $5000 tripod. The story of course way back when you foirst bought the cheap $99 tripods that of course broke and have the 4th or fifthone you upgraded to a $150 tripod etc...until you you got the tripod of your dreams that costs $800. I ahve seen similar articles written about cameras in that you should just save for the big one.

The problem is that its playing around with the P&S or camera phone that may generate the interest to advance a little get nicer than a pocket P&S that say shoots RAW among other features you previous camera did not have. After using this camera an dlearning its tools and capabilities you then purchase your first consumer dslr.

Again you spend some time learning about it, prosumer lenses and perhaps venture in to using filters or specialty lenses like fisheyes, macro etc. type lenses.

After this you may or may not decide to again upgrade to a full frame camera. A more professional camera (Marketing aspect not related to one's skill) Again as you move to this level or the pro level apc sensors, there are no longer dials with "macro, sports, landscape modes" I honestly don't beloieve that anyone using thse cameras actually uses Program mode but uses a combination of S,A or M depending on the situation.

Given all the othe options and features that come with today's pro level full frame dslrs, I hinestly believe I would have scared myself out of photogrphay for te learning curve of all those features. Each body purchase taught me a new set of skills, As I purchased more and more advanced equipment, I only had t learn the new options and not re-learn everything else.

Certainly it is the person behind the camera that make the picture and image but the person behind the camera will have a tool that he is comfortable, happy and compentent and capable to capture the images he wants to create.

I do a lot of hiking and for now I am willing to carry that D4 and a lense or 3. That could change in a few years to carrying a couple of Zoom lenses, or a lighter body, perhaps even a P&S. Whats important is not the tool, but the product that tool produces

For the dog photos, I don't think I could even go back to a less advanced camera. Technology certainly has made enough advanced to allow me to capture better with the d4 than what I caught with the d300s or even the d80.

Tools make a difference...its why mechanics prefer craftsman and snap-on tools. It's not that lesser brands aren't good for now, they just loose out on performance.
  #74    Top
Old December 14th, 2012, 09:29 AM

It is very inspiring article!!
I liked it as many people think that photography is all related to good cameras like DSLRs...
Nothing against them but you just need to have the skill...
I agree with this article as it is entirely true!!
Keep posting
  #75    Top
Old January 3rd, 2013, 11:15 PM

SO useful, i with there was a like button
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles