Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 26th, 2006, 10:19 PM
Premiere Member
Image Stabilization, necesary??

Does "not having image stabiliation" in your camera bug you at all??

Do you "really" need it??

That's what makes me think before getting the Nikon D50 (instead of the Konica Maxxium 5D).

Is it a big deal??
  #2    Top
Old January 27th, 2006, 12:18 AM
Banned
honestly i went with the minolta for JUST THAT reason.

but do know this - image stabilization is not an exclusive to the minolta 5D. the nikon D50 is capable, hell any canon and nikon is just as capable of image stabilization as well. difference is, you need to pay the premium in each lens to have it in your lens.

The way i photograph - i climb mountains, I like doing landscapes, i like having a camera in very versatile situations, and one thing i really HATE having to use is a flash - and im also not the type to always cart a tripod with me. in addition to that - im also not exactly donald trump, nor am i bill gates, i dont have the cash to pay a $300-$3000 premium for image stabilization in the lens. That is teh reason the minolta 5D was a good fit for me. If you plan on sticking to a tripod - and like using a flash, then i dont think image stabilization would be a big deal to you. its all about how you use it.

As far as noise performance the minoltas the leader of the pack - the nikon has a bit less smudgey-ness at high iso but more noise, so its a kind of mixed bag. The canon uses a cmos sensor, has the fastest response time, and of course has a library of the legendary canon optics.

They all have their ups and downs. honestly, you could go with any of the three and you'll be plenty happy, they all have a lot to offer adn they all offer a lot of bang for buck, so i wouldnt sweat it too much..
  #3    Top
Old January 27th, 2006, 07:15 AM
Banned
Image Stabilization, necesary??

one word that will eleminate all this problem and that is TRIPOD, that way it wont matter what camera you buy it will be stable, and buy a good one that adapts to you not vis versa.
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old January 27th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Depends on what you take pictures of. I take pictures outdoors on a playing field. So, I need a fast shutter, but I also like to move around. Image Stabilization has given me sharper, clearer images from afar, but yes, it was a big chunk of change for me (Canon 70-200 f/2.8L). Although, I'm pretty sure I could have solved some of the problem with a monopod. So, I guess I'd be for Image Stabilization if you can, it's a bit easier and you don't have to think that much about praying you're holding the camera still enough.
  #5    Top
Old January 27th, 2006, 09:53 AM
Banned
Quote:
Originally Posted by eviltony
one word that will eleminate all this problem and that is TRIPOD, that way it wont matter what camera you buy it will be stable, and buy a good one that adapts to you not vis versa.
yes i think we all have considered that, the problem for some of us is the inability to cart around a tripod with us everywhere we go, at least thats my problem...
  #6    Top
Old January 27th, 2006, 11:04 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: waverley_man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anbesol
yes i think we all have considered that, the problem for some of us is the inability to cart around a tripod with us everywhere we go, at least thats my problem...
Yep..me to! I hate tripods (outside of a studio or a specific environment such as a sports event) and they totally take away the whole point and advantage of small formats. If your going to use and lug about a tripod all day you may as well go the whole hog and get some really high quality pictures by using a medium format camera.

Image stabilization is a very handy feature. Minolta claim 2 extra stops. I've heard that the advantage is more like 1 stop, but still. An extra stop is an extra stop and very handy.
  #7    Top
Old January 27th, 2006, 11:31 AM
Banned
ive been pretty succesful with 2 stops. it really depends on the amount of shake, naturally.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101