Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 29th, 2006, 06:01 AM
cant get it ! shutter speed,exposure,etc

Hi there i am very new to photography and have invested in a canon eos 1000f film slr which came with a 30-80 lens and a sigma 70-300 lens,i have shot several films and have made some great photographs but i am now wanting to move into the more creative manual mode and have read some articles on the various modes shutter speed etc but cant get it to sink in.Does anyone have any advice on what to do what to read etc any info would be great !
I would love to have a digital slr so i could play and see what effect things have on the pictures but they are slightly out of my price range at the moment.I am going to florida in may 2006 on holiday and if i can find a dslr at the right price i may buy one then ! assuming the wife agrees!!!!!!
many thanks scott.
  #2    Top
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Photo Traveler
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
My advice:

Read This until you understand it, then come back and ask specific questions

Check out my Galleries at:

http://dehmphoto.smugmug.com
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old January 29th, 2006, 09:27 AM
many thanks i will keep reading this until it sinks in !
  #4    Top
Old January 29th, 2006, 09:39 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
There will be an article or table that just makes it click; but repetition is the only way I was able to get it (practice too) until then, THIS is one of my favorite explanations
  #5    Top
Old January 29th, 2006, 03:07 PM
Go to a public library and check out a book on the basics. Like "How to take Great Pictures With Your SLR" H.P. books. Even if it is old. It can be the only book that you invest yourself into studying. If you diligently study and grasp all the stuff in that one book you will put many to shame.
I know comments like what I am about to say anger a number of people but I say it anyway. Do not feel that you have to go digital. If you want to - great go for it. And many people are. For example In 2004, digital camera sales made up 87 percent of all Canadian camera sales. But there is a simplistic beauty to what you have. and I am one of the minority that will tell someone who is "very new to photography " that digital is not necessarily better. (I own 3 digitals at present) Get that simple book on the basics and enjoy!
  #6    Top
Old January 29th, 2006, 07:33 PM
Junior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Dark Chocolate
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I will always recommend a film camera to someone learning exposure basics, mainly because film is much more forgiving than digital cameras in the consumer price range, and therefore will give you acceptable pictures even if the exposure isn't exact.

When I started with a film SLR, I got the negatives developed and scanned to CD--no prints. (Lots of them were bad shots anyway.) It's convenient if you have your own photo printer. Stick with your 1000 until you get the basics of that tutorial down.
---
A true photograph need not be explained, nor can it be contained in words. - Ansel Adams
  #7    Top
Old January 30th, 2006, 08:32 AM
cheers for the replys i will look out for that or a similar book , i really want to be able to make the setting needed and know how the pictures are going to come out and learn how to be creative with pictures like the ones of the sea when the shutter speed is slowed down and it looks like mist instead of the sea amazing !
when i work out how to upload pictures to this site i will post some of my photos !
thanks again scott.
its also nice to here people say i dont need to go digital!
i will stick with film to learn !
  #8    Top
Old January 30th, 2006, 10:47 AM
I am having the same problems, I am used to a point and shoot digital and now using a Film SRL. It is frustrating to get over exposed and underexposed pictures. I guess practice is what I need. Thanks guys for the sites!!

Diana Van Wolvelaere

Nikon D50
Kodak EasyShare CX7430
Cannon AE-1 Program
  #9    Top
Old January 30th, 2006, 02:32 PM
Banned
cant get it ! shutter speed,exposure,etc

And I am going to add if you really want to learn Photography start shooting slide film, there is no forgiviness in it what you do is what you get where as prints there is a leway of I think 4-5 stops. I might suggest Fuji Provia 100 or Velvia 100 that is what I shot, but Fuji also makes a cheaper one Sensia 100
  #10    Top
Old January 30th, 2006, 03:56 PM
thanks for the advice, is slide film something that i can use in my canon eos 35mm or is it a different format.i told you i was new to this subject !