Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 12th, 2006, 02:47 AM
Choosing the right camera for me

I've been into amateur digital photography for a while now and I'm looking to upgrade to something more advanced and professional. Recently, I've only been using a Sony DSC-P8 lately, just a simple point and click 3.2 megapixel digital camera. Particularly because I was trying to focus on compositions and toying with lighting.

Things have taken a turn though and I'm going to be shooting a model for a website and need something that will be able to take quality pictures that look somewhat professional in terms of the technology side of the bit. I want something with more control, zoom options, something that won't blur if I dont hold the camera absolutely still (motion stablizer?) and I'd really enjoy it if it could capture the picture instantaneously instead of over a second or two like my point and click. Oh and somewhat high image QUALITY. Also need it to be able to capture clear and fluid video reels. Other little things may be nice but those are the things I pretty much need. The guy who runs the site suggested I check out the Canon S2-IS but I held one of these at Best Buy on display and that was enough to confirm the fact that I should research and ask around. It looked kinda cheaply made to me. Then again, the battery was dead in it (as always) so I couldn't really try it out.

I'm pretty much looking for things in the 300-400$ price range. I'd love to get a digital SLR but I don't have the cash for that right now. Maybe once I get things started I can get something better. Am I doomed!?
  #2    Top
Old March 12th, 2006, 04:53 AM
Premiere Member
Ive only heard great things about the s2is. It may be plastic, but Im sure its built to last. you can also find a used dslr pretty cheap if you try. I picked up my canon 10d for 425.00. it was barley used and in great shape. Try craigslist.com if you dont have a problem buying used.
  #3    Top
Old March 12th, 2006, 07:06 PM
I definately dont mind buying used, I just was kind of wary when I picked up that Canon S2-IS and it was glossy plastic and so lightweight. Anyone else opinions on this? Reasons why the s2is is good for me? Other cameras might be better? Thanks.
  #4    Top
Old March 12th, 2006, 11:35 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
All cameras in that price range

Are plastic. The Canon is one of the best built. I like the Fuji S5200, same megapixel, but has the ability to goto 1600 ISO. It gets grainy, but sometimes that grain helps, especially in B&W.
Sponsors
  #5    Top
Old March 13th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Thanks for the replies guys, keep it up! I forgot to mention that these shots are mainly going to be un-filtered and probably unedited. I'm going for a really clean full color look. I'll be taking ALOT of shots of the model outdoors in different environments and also a few indoors. Hope that helps.
  #6    Top
Old March 13th, 2006, 10:36 PM
Junior VIP Member
Just about any digital camera (or, for that matter, camera) you'll find, that's been made recently (currently, it is 11:32 P.M., E.S.T., Monday, March 13, 2006), will have a plastic body. This really isn't necessarily a bad thing. The plastic's not so cheap as to break readily upon the slightest impact, and, truthfully, even a metal-body camera isn't, per se, designed to withstand a hundred-foot fall. In fact, plastic is simply lighter in weight, and, thus, less of a burden to carry. The Canon PowerShot S2 IS looks like a great camera, though I think I'd recommend Panasonic's Lumix DMX-FZ30; it seems to be "better" in just about every respect. On a budget, Olympus's SP-500UZ appears to be a good, strong product. At the moment, I don't find myself very "into" D-SLRs, so I'm unable to offer any real recommendations (though I have heard good thing's about Canon's EOS-1Ds Mark II ).
  #7    Top
Old March 17th, 2006, 01:52 AM
Premiere Member
I'm in the same position as you and are going to purchase a Canon PowerShot S2 IS to fill the gap before a DSLR.
  #8    Top
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:34 AM
Premiere Member
Hi mpikeat, just saw this, the bargain one may not be the prettiest of things but it'll get you started. They are BBB rated so not to worry about any problems going unsolved, now the only thing to worry about next is which lens will you get. Not to worry though, plenty of places to find lenses pretty cheap considering.

Whatever you do, good luck.