Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old March 15th, 2006, 07:07 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I've changed. I once wandered aimlessly. Now I walk the way of the Cross.
  #12    Top
Old March 15th, 2006, 07:12 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Toby1
Bless you, Sunnydays. I appreciate your kind words. I am a writer, of sorts. I write technical policies and procedures, grants, reports, etc., for a not-for-profit drug rehab center.

I have long toyed with writing fiction, but am not sure whether or not I can make the transition from technical to creative. (Then again, I did write the lion's share of the play that was produced.) My wife and friends encourage me, so maybe I will.

I have a great idea, I think, for a Medieval Mystery series about a Saxon baker named Gilbert. The Normans call him "Geel-Behr," which really irritates him. His best male friend is a Welsh huntsman named Rhys, and he has a "comfortable relationship" with the widowed alewife. In the first story, the Lord of the Castle's imported French baker is poisoned just before an important feast, and suspicion falls on Gilbert. He is innocent, of course, but must prove it to the satisfaction of the suspicious Normans.

Lord, but I do go on. All I meant to say was "thanks."
  #13    Top
Old March 15th, 2006, 08:39 PM
Keeper of the Camera
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
If you ever publish your book, let me know. I would want a signed copy tho! If you need someone to design the cover...look me up! LOL!

I have also toyed with the idea of writing "something". From children's books to poetry to fiction/murder/love story to real life about my brother's motorcycle accident which left him a quad.

Lots of ideas goin' on in this blonde head of mine!

Anyway good luck to you, I think you could do it.

BTW: Where do you buy your digital film? : )
  #14    Top
Old March 15th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Expat Photographer
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
In a lot of ways, no, and for the better I think. I used to be totally into career and appearances. I mellowed with age, but getting married again and having my first child really changed me. I realized what was important.

Since then, we've decided to change countries (moving to England where my wife is from), and I've given up my career. We both want to do things we enjoy, even if it's for little money. So long as we can live and enjoy life we'll be happy.

However, I'm still as compulsive/obsessive as I ever was. Just trying to channel that into things like photograpy now

Cheers,
Bruce
  #15    Top
Old March 16th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Elite Member
Over 22 short years I've seen much change. I was born on the coast, raised in the desert, had my horizons widened living overseas, went to HS in suburbia, went to college, worked in Corporate America, enlisted in the Army, spent the last year of my life in Iraq.

By the time I could drive, I had been to 14 countries and had enough airmiles with United to fly 3 people to Europe and back and not spend a dime. The tally has risen now, with my deployment to Iraq.

Spending a year away from your real family, and growing closer to your brothers and sisters at arms does a lot to change a man. Calling the MEDEVAC bird with an urgent MEDEVAC for the first casualty for your brigade - and later learning the deceased was the same man (SFC David Salie, KIA 14FEB2005) that taught you to put your knees to the breeze and earn your jump wings two years earlier - also does a lot to change a guy. Redeploying to home station, knowing that men you personally drove up from Kuwait with, and worked with for months (CPT Joel Cahill, KIA 06NOV2005) - through some of the worst attacks of the summer - were already home, and burried - also changes a man.

Of all the things I've seen and done, war has definitely changed me more than any other things combined. I'd still like to see more countries, preferably ones where no one wants to kill me.

Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D), Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM, Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II, Sigma 18-50mm f/3.5-5.6 DC, and Sigma 55-200mm f/4-5.6 DC. Slik Sprint Mini w/ ballhead.

"I am the Infantry... FOLLOW ME!"
  #16    Top
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:02 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I am by no means the same person I have been in the past. My most recent change would be attributed to a car accident nearly 4 years ago. That definitely changed my perspectives on things. Before that I never had an interest in photography and most definitely would never have been on a site like this. I think people adapt to their situations and since those are always changing, the person should be as well.
  #17    Top
Old March 16th, 2006, 08:24 PM
LIV-N 4 GR8 FOTO OPS
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
My changes were the result of a divorce and growing older . . . and wiser. I grew up rather passive and never took risks, but when my marriage fell apart, I learned how to assert myself a bit more which was REALLY a stretch for me, having always been a "don't make waver". With the absolute necessity of taking more risks, came a strength I never knew I had. I was a working, single mom, with 3 teenage daughters. If that doesn't make you stronger . . . and smarter, I don't know what does! I learned it was okay to express my thoughts and feelings, as kindly and respectfully as I could, and that it wasn't the end of the world if everyone, or anyone, didn't agree with me.

As I get older, my pleasures, and life, are MUCH simpler. My family, daughters and grandchildren mean more to me than anything. Stuff doesn't mean as much as it once did, because it is just that . . ."stuff".

I'm far from being as "gutsy" as my young daughters, but I'm comfortable in my own skin and being just a little "gutsy" is just fine with me. Maybe I'll get braver in the next almost 60 years!
Sponsors
  #18    Top
Old March 16th, 2006, 10:57 PM
Great Thread!

I know I have changed over the years and I also know that in some way sit has been for the better for others the worst.

I used to be friendly and a people person who would talk to anyone anywhere. Now I am introverted and speak to no one I do not know unless it is on the computer. The result of this was my exwife whom commited child abuse to my daughter from my first marriage. Living in a very small town and being a truck driver I suffered guilt personaly, and a lot of fingers were pointed at me by the courts and people around here.

I did however manage to stop drinking, smoking and drugs all on my own. Out of all of those smoking was the hardest. I used to have a problem with authority now since the issue with my daughter and the courts I am way beyond a problem with it, I do not tolerate it at all. LOL

I used to worry about money and other things now I worry about my current wife and my children, their school grades, their hobbys and everythign about them. Due to the aformentioned I became a person who knows everything and shares everything with my children.

I came from the city and suburbs, have traveled north america and owned a business. Now I live a meger life, we hunt fish, grow and gather our foods that feed us for most the year. We can and freeze what we need. We live in amongst 36 thousand acers of forest. Which probably dosn't help my aspect of seeming to be a hermit.

Wow just reading this I see I have changed and I am still young. LOL yikes wonder what I will be like in my 50's and 60's if I make it that far.

"If I'm not on the Net,
My Labs Getting Wet!"
  #19    Top
Old March 17th, 2006, 12:15 PM
P-R-O-crastinator
...DOH!
.....Therapy time around the corner, again?

My Website
  #20    Top
Old March 17th, 2006, 02:44 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: First-day-of-school
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by kris10
...DOH!
.....Therapy time around the corner, again?
I think so,lol

Am I the same person I was years ago?, of course not.

At 31 with two kids, hubby, a mortgage and so on, there is no way I could possibly be the same gal I was years back. Life changes us every day imo. If your lucky you'll never have the same day twice! I can honestly say "I get it!" and it's the best feeling in the world imo.

cheers,

jules
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner