Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old March 17th, 2006, 03:20 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Help Determining The Geographical & Social Importance of Countries of the World...

Hey All,

I need help, from both a social and geographical standpoint, as to which countries to include in my network of photo sites (www.WorldPhotoSeries.com). To get an idea of what I'm doing, I've already launched www.CanadaPhotoSeries.com and www.ItalyPhotoSeries.com. Obviously I'm not going to have 180+ domains, so I am creating some more country inclusive ones (like OceaniaPhotoSeries.com, AfricaPhotoSeries.com & SouthAmericaPhotoSeries.com). At the same time, I want to be socially responsible and give the larger countries their own domain. Being from North America, I'm somewhat ignorant to the social importance of countries overseas, and was wondering if people could take a look at my list of countries already and my list of possible additions, and see what I may be missing?

Thanks in advance,

Tim L. Walker

List of currently owned domains:

AfricaPhotoSeries.com
AsiaPhotoSeries.com
AustraliaPhotoSeries.com
BulgariaPhotoSeries.com
CanadaPhotoSeries.com
CaribbeanPhotoSeries.com
ChinaPhotoSeries.com
EuropePhotoSeries.com
FrancePhotoSeries.com
GermanyPhotoSeries.com
GreecePhotoSeries.com
IndiaPhotoSeries.com
IndonesiaPhotoSeries.com
ItalyPhotoSeries.com
JapanPhotoSeries.com
MexicoPhotoSeries.com
NewZealandPhotoSeries.com
OceaniaPhotoSeries.com
RussiaPhotoSeries.com
ScandinaviaPhotoSeries.com
SouthAfricaPhotoSeries.com
SouthAmericaPhotoSeries.com
SpainPhotoSeries.com
ThailandPhotoSeries.com
UKPhotoSeries.com
USAPhotoSeries.com

List of Domains on the "possibly add" list:

CentralAmericaPhotoSeries.com
MiddleEastPhotoSeries.com
MalaysiaPhotoSeries.com
AustriaPhotoSeries.com
HungaryPhotoSeries.com
IrelandPhotoSeries.com
NetherlandsPhotoSeries.com
PolandPhotoSeries.com
PortugalPhotoSeries.com
RomaniaPhotoSeries.com
SwitzerlandPhotoSeries.com
UkrainePhotoSeries.com
TurkeyPhotoSeries.com
PakistanPhotoSeries.com

Thanks in advance...
  #2    Top
Old March 17th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Destiny
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Wow, Tim. Sounds like a very interesting project.
Speaking on "my areas", I think the Middle Eastern part can be very active as this includes a huge list of photographical areas (including Lebanon, Morroco, Tunis, etc) but I might suggest Egypt as a separate domain as it's a category on its own with all the ancient sights and wonders around that big country!

Having a "possible" domain for Turkey on its own is also a great idea. Wonderful country and very interesting and "different" scenes and styles all around its cities and traditions.
Good luck.

follow me on Facebook & twitter
  #3    Top
Old March 17th, 2006, 06:26 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Yeah, that's what I'm looking for... I was thinking Egypt, too... Good idea.

Now, for the Middle East, do you think MiddleEastPhotoSeries.com is good enough, or should there be some other countries and/or regions that could/should be broken down further?
  #4    Top
Old March 17th, 2006, 06:40 PM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Thanks, Tim.
I'm really not sure about the Middle East - but will give you a tip that might be of interest: usually the Middle East is divided into 3 main areas (common accents, traditions, style, nature, etc) and these are: The GCC (including Saudi, Kuwait, Emirates "Dubai", ets) - then Levant (Lebanon, Jordan, Syria and Iraq) and North Africa (including Egypt, Morocco, Tunisia, Libya and Algeria) and the last is the most popular, probably because they're more popular with "tourists" and tourism is very active.
Hope this helps too. Please let me know if you need any more help on this.

#5    Top
Old March 17th, 2006, 07:30 PM
The Corner Creator
Well, I've got Africa covered w/ AfricaPhotoSeries... and I'll register SouthAfrica and Egypt seperately. Since the sites will all be in English (as it's the only language I know), I am targetting english-speaking users primarily... I'm not sure if people outside the Middle East would know the difference between those main areas... you think MiddleEastPhotoSeries.com would cover it ok?

Now, the 2 areas I'm mostly having trouble with are Asia and Europe. I'm fairly confident I've got the rest of the world covered ok. Am I missing any "important" countries on either of those continants?
  #7    Top
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:28 PM
The Corner Creator
Well, I was thinking of doing one for singapore... but it's so small... didn't think it really deserved it's own URL... though it had crossed my mind. Singapore is basically a city/country, right?
  #8    Top
Old March 17th, 2006, 08:41 PM
Premiere Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L. Walker
you think MiddleEastPhotoSeries.com would cover it ok?
I'd think so - since Egypt is now on its own. Good luck on your project. (for further tips, you might want to try lonelyplanet.com)

#9    Top
Old March 17th, 2006, 09:46 PM
The Corner Creator
Cool, thanks for the site... I'll check it out.
  #10    Top
Old March 18th, 2006, 07:57 AM
Europe ?

Hi Tim, great idea. As a Brit living happily in The Netherlands I have to nominate my adopted home for it's own URL. The rumours of it being as flat as a pool table a greatly exaggerated (although the wide vistas give excellent sunrises and sunsets).
The Netherlands real strengths are it's multitude of historical cities, whose range of architectural styles will fill a memory card time and again.

er...do I sound enthusiastic ?