Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:12 PM
Elite Member
My first pics as an amateur photographer :)

I finally got my camera, the Canon Powershot S1 IS... it's a mid-end ultra-zoom (3 megapixels, 10x zoom)...

I have never taken photographs before (except for the family pics using film cameras in the past). Now I'm trying to learn photography so I would consider the pics I take now to be my first "real" pics. I haven't finished reading the instruction manual or learned enough about photography so I'm mainly shooting on AUTO and shutter priority mode (fooling around with shutter speeds and trying to get the hang of exposure).

You will find my "best" pics below. I haven't really done much so these pics suck and don't really compare to some of the pics posted in this forum. Nevertheless, I would like some input on my first pics... most of these are stereotypical newbie pics but I hope you find them at least interesting...

* all pics taken on AUTO
* no computer editing except for resizing and increasing the compression (I'm using 640x480 @ 90% JPEG compression which seems ideal for this forum)
* no cropping or anything done to these pics (I'm not trying to master taking pics with as little modification on the computer as possible so I'm trying to frame the pics using the camera--let me know if you have some ideas for my pics)

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0783x2.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	1616  Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0777x2.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	1617  Click image for larger version

Name:	img_0761x2.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	1618  
  #2    Top
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Elite Member
Re: My first pics as an amateur photographer :)

A couple more...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_0788x2.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	1619  
Sponsors
  #3    Top
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:15 PM
Banned
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
the tree actually could be really cool if the bottom was shown too, i like the sky color.
the sunset looks like something i painted once... cool
  #4    Top
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:16 PM
Elite Member
not bad for first shots. The contrast needs a tad bit of meat though.

Keep going!
  #5    Top
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:50 PM
Elite Member
I took a few pics with the full tree but it doesn't look as good. There is useless junk in the background. I think I would have to shoot a very high-angle shot (keep camera near ground and aim at sky) to get the full tree without useless junk in the back.

----------

As far as the contrast is concerned, I think the flaw of this camera is starting to show. The Canon S1 IS is supposed to produce soft pics and I think that is what you are seeing. I think I need to sharpen the pics more. I'll try taking all future pics with greater in-camera sharpening...

This camera also sucks in low-light (especially night) so don't expect to see too many nighttime pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	img_0760x2.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	56.4 KB
ID:	1620  
  #6    Top
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:53 PM
Banned
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
I'll see what i can do with it.
  #7    Top
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:54 PM
Elite Member
Yep, need to sharpen... I ran the pic through the sharpen filter in my image editing program and it looks far better. Right now, the above tree looks fuzzy but after sharpening you can see the details...
  #8    Top
Old December 7th, 2004, 09:58 PM
Banned
here's what i did... (in the 3 minute version of photoshop)
I removed the background stuff, then i fixed the contrast, and i did some burning around the edges. See what you think
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	t_img_0760x2a.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	1621  
  #9    Top
Old December 7th, 2004, 10:05 PM
Elite Member
Pic is a bit too small but not bad... It looks much better for sure...

However, this brings up the "issue" of digitally modified images. I'm not really a fan of removing "things" to make the pic look better (unless it is with an artistic goal). It is perfectly valid as a digital scene but it isn't a real scene anymore...hmm... I don't know... this is going to start some debate I'm sure...
  #10    Top
Old December 7th, 2004, 10:09 PM
Banned
i suppose so, but then with some portraits, i've had to do headswaps to get everyone in the picture looking good. I think it's worth it to get a good image, doesn't matter how you get it... the end result is what matters.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places