Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > PhotographyCorner.com Newsletters & Press Releases > PhotographyCorner.com Newsletters

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old December 15th, 2004, 02:52 AM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Volume 1, Issue 4 - December 2004

PhotographyCorner.com Newsletter
Volume 1, Issue 4

Contents:
1) Seasons Greetings
2) Photograph of the Month
3) Contest Corner Challenges
4) Become A Premiere Member
5) "Noteworthy Notables"
6) Rules of Engagement

1) Seasons Greetings

I can't believe it's almost Christmas... yikes! Where did the year go? PhotographyCorner has been around for a little over 8 months now, and we've grown in leaps and bounds. With over 30,000 posts and over 500 members, we've turned into one of the fastest growing and more active photography forums on the net! Yay us! With the holiday season coming up, it's a perfect time to get out there and take some great holiday photographs - from snow, to Christmas lights, to trees, to happy kids opening gifts - I expect to see some great holiday shots over the next couple of weeks! Anyways, from all of us (me) at PhotographyCorner, have a Happy Holidays!

2) Photograph of the Month

The current Photograph of the Month was done by Ski called "Beach Driftwood" and can be seen on both the main page of the site, as well as in the Photograph of the Month forum. It was a tough month as far as voting goes, but the winning PotM was well deserving for sure. Congrats, Ski, for such a great photograph! To check out past winners of the PotM award, check out http://www.photographycorner.com/pho...tm-winners.php

If you'd like your photograph to be considered for the Photograph of the Month contest, all you have to do is post up a photograph in the Critiques Corner, and, one week before the end of the month, get back to see if your photograph was nominated! And new this month, if you become a Premiere Member at PhotographyCorner, you have the opportunity to nominate photographs for the Photograph of the Month contests as well (more on that later).

3) Contest Corner Challenges

We're now in the voting stages of our 7th CCC, and although there were only 4 entries this time (where was everyone on this one?), it's still a tough vote. Make sure you drop by the Contest Corner Challenge forum to place your vote. In a couple of days, there will be a new contest going up (probably holiday-related), so check back before Christmas to find out what it is and get your entries in!!

4) Become a Premiere Member

In early December, we brought forth the long-talked-about idea of having a "Premiere Member" section of the site. So what is “Premiere Membership” and why would I want to be a “Premiere Member”? Good question. Premiere Membership at PhotographyCorner is a way to help pay for the site that you use, enjoy and love. That being said, you won't just be handing over your money to the site, you'll get some minor benefits as well. There are 2 levels of Premiere Membership, so take a look through the benefits and decide what works best for you. (all these benefits are listed on the site as well, but I thought I should go over them here as well) Check out the Premiere Membership page here: http://www.photographycorner.com/pre...membership.php

With a one-time donation of at least $10 towards PhotographyCorner.com, you will receive the following:
- Access to all three of the Premiere Members forums including the Premiere Corner (a forum where only Premiere Members can hang out), the Premiere Contests forum (a section where contests will be announced only for Premiere Members), and the PotM Nominations forum where you can nominate photographs for every Photograph of the Month contest
- Premiere Member status (a rank of Premiere Member with 5 black camera ranking icons)
- Eligible to win prizes for various contests, where as non-Premiere Members are not eligible to win prizes

With a one-time donation of at least $25 towards PhotographyCorner.com, you will receive everything above as well as:
- A special, all-orange, 5-camera rankings icon (the same as the Site Admin)
- You can choose whatever title you want for your rank (custom rank names, within reason, of course)
- A link in our Photography Directory to your website

Down the road there may be other perks, but for now, that's what we've got. The only way to currently make a donation to PhotographyCorner.com is through PayPal, but if you are unable to use PayPal or cannot afford to make a donation for whatever reason, but still would like to become a Premiere Member, send me an email, and other arrangements can probably be made.

5) "Noteworthy Notables"

Just thought I'd point out a couple interesting topics that have been on recently here on the forums. If you haven't checked out the topics below, they're worth a read.

A. B. C. D.....
We've hot over 100 pages of the ABCD game... how long can we make this thread?
http://www.photographycorner.com/viewtopic.php?t=2097

New Moderators
Welcome our first mods: Kara, herins & RobW
http://www.photographycorner.com/viewtopic.php?t=3042

Fine Art Nudes Forum
For those that have 50 posts or more, and are older than 18, you may want to check out our new FAN Forum
http://www.photographycorner.com/viewforum.php?f=31

Photography Resources
There have been some great article and tutorials added to our resources section this month - check them out!
http://www.photographycorner.com/viewforum.php?f=25

6) Rules of Engagement

There has been several heated discussions on the forum in the past month or two as to what exactly constitutes a valid critique. While I don't think it's necessarily my place to outline exactly what a critique should be, I want everyone to be aware of a couple simple guidelines:
- be ready to accept a tough critique on your work - even if you think it's the best photograph in the world, someone else may find something to nitpick about it, or may flat-out not even like it - live with it
- it's fine to just say "I like it" or "I don't like it" - it's not a very useful critique, but it's fine
- don't attack anyone personally - if you don't like someone's critique, fine - if you don't like someone, not fine - if you have some issues you need to work out personally with someone, do it via PM, not on the forum - we do not want to facilitate your childish behaviour
- use common sense - that's really the best rule of all - if you don't have common sense, ask myself or one of the mods before posting something you think may be questionable, and we'll let you know.

It's really as simple as that. It's normal to have disagreements, especially when it comes to critiquing someone's work or having your work critiqued, but you've gotta have some thick skin to be a photographer. Take whatever critisism that gets shovelled your way, and either learn from it, or ignore it. Probably the best advice you can get as a photographer.

Again, I can't believe how fast the last month has gone... I could have sworn I just finished writing the last Newsletter. A couple quick, closing points, and I'll let you get back to posting on the forum (oh, and congrats for reading this far!). If you're interested in writing and article or tutorial for the photography resources section, but you're having trouble coming up with something to write about, email me or PM me, and I've got a list of stuff you can write about. We'll be launching our Photography Glossary section soon, and we'll be needing people to start putting some of that together. You may have noticed some more "photography-related" ads on the site recently - that just goes to show that we're finally getting big enough for some advertisers to notice. Congrats on everyone's commitment and hard work on making this site what it is. If you're a Premiere Member, we're trying to figure out what prizes will be appropriate for upcoming contests (remember, only Premiere Members can win prizes!), so make sure you get your say before I go and order something.

If you haven't been by the forum recently, we've been growing a lot lately, with over 125 new members this past month. Drop by and say hi and check out what's been going on.

Happy Holidays &
See you around the forum,
Tim L. Walker
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > PhotographyCorner.com Newsletters & Press Releases > PhotographyCorner.com Newsletters