Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old May 10th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Need help to find online store

Where shall i buy online and what brand, Nikon, Canon,Minolta, Leica.very confusing, whats the best and cheap selling online site, www.adorama,com, www.ebay.com, www.warehousexpress.com, www.jesops.com, www.microglobe.co.uk
, I need valueable suggestions as I am based in UK.I photograph nature, Love nature. what brand shall i buy, i have used old manual yashica brand. but the trends have now been changed. plz help me out for better result and low price upto 300 pounds,,, what the customers should do, every company come with the assertion that their product is featured with everything.? peace
  #2    Top
Old May 11th, 2006, 01:30 AM
I would go to Adorama or B&H to buy online.

for brand, you can read reviews first then go to a store to know which is suitable for you. in the end it all depends on personal preferences, at least for me.

Good luck!
  #3    Top
Old May 11th, 2006, 07:24 PM
Premiere Member
www.adorama.com www.bhphoto.com www.beachcamera.com www.newegg.com -- those are the trusted sites i frequent personally
[that's my only lens, I'm broke :(]

Work:
Nikon D2X
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:08 AM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I've bought from both B&H Photo and Adorama. Both are very respected by photographers all over the country and elsewhere. Of the two, I buy from B&H the most. Prices are the same, but B&H ships out a lot faster. If I go for 3 days shipping with B&H, I'll get it in 3 days. If I do the same with Adorama, it might sit for 2 days before it's shipped and then I get it in 3 days after it ships. I don't know if it's always like this with Adorama, or if it's only been that way when I've bought stuff. But I've bought thousands and thousands of dollars from B&H and I can't recall a time I didn't get it when expected.

Also, in other forums, I've seen where people in the UK have gotten stuff from B&H and found that they saved a lot of money over buying it local or in country. And they got it pretty fast as well. Also, you will find that the main guy at B&H surfs the forums looking for comments, good and bad, and will address them. I've seen him answer questions and complaints on some of the bigger forums a few times.

Mike
  #5    Top
Old May 12th, 2006, 01:26 AM
Do to the fact I live in New York City . I can say B&Hphoto superstore and the online store are the best to start with.Plus theres adoroma.com and Calumet.com also. Hope this helps..
  #6    Top
Old May 12th, 2006, 09:46 AM
Premiere Member
oh, and if you want to buy filters, www.2filter.com
[that's my only lens, I'm broke :(]

Work:
Nikon D2X
  #7    Top
Old May 12th, 2006, 10:36 AM
Expat Photographer
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I shop almost exlusively from B&H and Adorama, but mostly B&H. As has been mentioned, I believe too that B&H ships quicker. You mentioned lowest prices. These stores don't necessarily have the lowest prices, but just good professional service and complete product kits. They're pro shops and live up to it!

You should keep in mind though that paying duties and taxes into the UK will negate alot of the savings you might gain from the currency conversion. Personally, I'd buy in the UK. Maybe Jessops. The other alternative would be to hop a flight to NYC and go to the store in person. Then you get a great price for the GBP and a trip to NYC!

As for brand, that's personal preference. Look at any lenses you have that may work with a particular brand, and what's more available where you are. I've heard guys say they have a hard time finding certain Nikon lenses in the UK, but I can't say for certain. I'd go look at cameras locally and choose what appeals to you. They all have pluses and minuses.
Bon chance,
Bruce
  #8    Top
Old May 12th, 2006, 08:03 PM
Premiere Member
I would agree about B&H also I got a 2gig card from NewEgg, fast prompt shipping good email communication on when it ships for tracking.