Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#21    Top
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:36 AM
Elite Member
How can you tell if a photo has been severely manipulated?

"Happiness is as a butterfly which, when pursued, is always beyond our grasp, but which if you will sit down quietly, may alight upon you."
  #22    Top
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:52 AM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Good discussion so far people...
  #23    Top
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:54 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Vernal Equinox
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by koriarose
How can you tell if a photo has been severely manipulated?
I think that is the heart of the issue. I'm sure there are those who could more easily determine if an image has been manipulated than others. So it will depend on each person's ability to view and decide for him or herself. The other part of this issue is how much is too much when it comes to manipulation. In the end I think it all boils down to each individual and their opinions and tastes when it comes to viewing and voting on an entry. Although someone suggested to have a before and after submission I'm not clear on how Tim or anyone could determine the before images were also manipulated so we could easily be back to square one.

Moderator Emeritus

Great photographs are never taken they are created.
  #24    Top
Old May 17th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I don't think the issue of how much "manipulation" will ever be resolved. I've been on a number of sites that have contests and it doesn't matter if they have a large number of rules or just a few general guidelines, there is always the issue of if the image went too far from the original view.

Then you have the added dicussion of "is it art or is it photography" that comes up. If it's art, then it should have more leeway in what is done. If it's photography, then it should be more of what you see is what you show type images.

I myself do a lot of image stacking and image stitching. With stacking, this is a easy way to increase the latitude of my digital sensor and bring out the shadows and cool down the hot spots. With stitching, I can get a lot wider shot of a scene or get a lot more detail in a small object. Unfortunately, because of screen size, a good wide or tall panorama loses a lot when viewed online. And most of the time, size restrictions prevent entering panoramas.

It's been mentioned about adding elements that were not there to begin with... also what needs to be considered is taking away elements. How much is too much? Is it ok to remove a person, building, tree, or other major element, but not ok to add them into the picture? Both change what was originally seen.

While I can see the reason for having a 100 post minimum required to enter a contest, to be honest, I don't like the idea. There are a lot of people that just don't chat. They can go months and months and only post a few posts. Maybe they only come to a site for contests or to read what others are saying. I think this limitation could reduce the particapation of people that have a lot to show, just not a lot to say. The software that this forum uses has a number of ways to determine if someone is logging on with multiple accounts. It's pretty good, but even the best software and tracking options aren't going to stop someone that really wants to have multiple accounts. If it happens, it either won't happen that often or it will become apparent in time that someone is doing that and they can be delt with.

I was also surprised when I was able to view the number of votes already given on a contest. It also changed how I voted. I had picked out what I thought was the best image, but when I saw it wasn't going to win, I voted differently (and not for the winner). So being able to see the count did make a difference, although not in the outcome of the winner this time. If it is a close competition, it could very well make a difference.

Anyway, those are my thoughts on this.

Mike
  #25    Top
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:20 AM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: IMG_5414_hf_TIF1
so i have a question? does no one think that voting on each image with a scale of one to ten is a good idea? I'm not upset because no one els has mentioned it i just wanted to know if it somehow dosn't seem feasible or what.
Christina

Gallery
Feel free to critique any of my images.

#26    Top
Old May 17th, 2006, 09:33 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Destiny
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinayoder
does no one think that voting on each image with a scale of one to ten is a good idea?
I love this idea - scaling - but I'm not sure it works in a 'contest' system. It's perfect to scale photos in forums (against each other) but given the limited number of voters on the contest, numbers will probably be extremely close to each other.

More importantly, I think if someone cheated this time by registering new accounts, maybe someone will give his entry a 10 - and give everyone else zeros and low grades to help his entry move to the front of the line. And although I'm sure most people in this forum are mature beyong these little things - but it might get tricky.

follow me on Facebook & twitter
  #27    Top
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:31 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Vernal Equinox
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
I've particiapted in the past in a contest with a point rating system. This system did have the problems associated with giving your own entry a higher score while giving your opponent a low score. The people running the contest made modifications to combat this but then the contest became more one of self-promotion than with photographic abilities. Along with that several other rules were adopted about how the points would be tallied etc. In the end it became a complicated mess and needless to say I don't participate in it anymore. I think a scoring system might work in conjunction with voting. I still think voting should be the primary determinant of the winner. To that you could add the average score the image received on the rating scale and could add it to the voting score for an overall tally. The image with the highest overall score would be declared the winner. That could add some weight to how strongly some might like an image by rating highly while at the same time allowing your vote to be cast only for one choice. It might also add an interesting dynamic to see how the entries also scored and provide some measure of numeric feedback to the person who entered the contest. Tim might also at some point give two prizes in the contest one for the overall winner and one for highest average score. Hmmm...Tim, what would the sponsors feel about giving out more prizes ???

Moderator Emeritus

Great photographs are never taken they are created.
Sponsors
  #28    Top
Old May 17th, 2006, 10:37 AM
Canadian Edition
Recent Photo: Iceberg #4
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
How about if you had to pick a 1, 2 &3 instead of 10 . Say if you voted a photo to be #1 it would give it 5 pts, than pick a #2 it would get 3 points and #3 would give it 1 point ro something like that.
Just throughing things out there.
  #29    Top
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:02 AM
A Totally Awesome Guy
Recent Photo: Purple
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I recently started entering contests on another site. It's not nearly as friendly as this one, but their voting system seems to work pretty well. (Most of this has already been mentioned in one form or another)
You rate each photo on a scale of 1 to 10.
The author of each entry is hidden.
You CANNOT rate your own photo!
Each person carries a different "weight", depending on length of membership, contest activity etc. So say an old timer's rating of a 5 may equal 20 votes, where as my rating of a 5 equals 5 votes. (just an example)
After all ratings are added up, they declare 4 winners. Best overall- highest votes- second highest votes and so on.
Through out the voting, you can see where you stand in the ratings.
At the very end, everyone receives a "grade" based on the ratings they received. (A-B-C etc.)
I know it sounds complicated, but it's really not. Tim, if you're interesting in having a look at this site, PM me.
I'm just throwing out ideas here!
  #30    Top
Old May 17th, 2006, 11:04 AM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Sure, PM me the site.