Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#21    Top
Old October 13th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Premiere Member
Thanks for the response.
  #22    Top
Old October 15th, 2006, 02:26 AM
The Sites Irishman
Recent Photo: Sepia Landscape
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I know that the Academy of Art offers certification courses.

http://www.academyart.edu

Good Luck!

Panasonic FZ50

1979 Olympus OM-1

Links to my online gallery!

http://MudDuckMedia.imagekind.com/MyExpressions
http://MudDuckMedia.imagekind.com/SepiaLandscapes
  #23    Top
Old October 15th, 2006, 07:45 AM
Elite Member
I deleted it, but a few months ago I got an email from NYIP and one of the things mentioned was something along the lines of that they were now accredited with the Long Distance Education board/group/organization
  #24    Top
Old October 24th, 2006, 02:00 PM
Southern Exposure
Recent Photo: Still Life
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Nyip

I have received information from them on and off and believe it would be a beneficial course to take. I read a lot and have learned the basics that way. Another alternative I have found extremely helpful was joining a local camera club that would give me hands on learning- affordable workshops, etc. I finally found a local club in my area which does bi-monthly "field trips" with a professional photographer who not only comes along and gives you "hands-on" help, but also during their monthly meetings, he teaches us something. We submit our photos based on that months theme and have critiques and collect points toward the end of year event.

I would suggest to anyone who has an interest in photography to see if their local community has a camera club and to join it. I admit, I have only been a member for two months, but have already learned things.
While there is perhaps a province in which the photograph can tell us nothing more than what we see with our own eyes, there is another in which it proves to us how little our eyes permit us to see. ~Dorothea Lange
Sponsors
  #25    Top
Old January 6th, 2007, 10:24 PM
Recent Photo: Abby Relaxing
I took the course for a few months and dropped out.

I found it to be very outdated. They deal mostly with film and the information they provide on digital is very old and really not relevent.

For example they speak of high end 3Mp cameras! Some of the videos have the Twin Towers in the background while they tell you about the latest cameras...

My main reason for quitting was the course was very basic (in the first few lessons anyway) for absolute beginners. And the tournaround time for the critiques took a very long time. You have to send the photos by regular mail and wait for cassette tapes by return mail, took forever. My instructor was from England so it had to be sent overseas...I suggested to use the Internet for this but they didn't seem to think it was possible for some reason??

In my opinion this entire course needs a complete makeover and brought into the 21st century.
  #26    Top
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:13 PM
Banned
Nyip

I was very interested in taking their courses. Perhaps now I'll wait. I have been taking some courses online, reading and shooting pictures alot! It seems to be working for me learning-wise. I've recently been reading KISS by John Garrett and it has been extremely helpful.

lynda
  #27    Top
Old June 27th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Was wondering about this place. Thanks for the information.
  #28    Top
Old July 7th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Isn't it interesting how the photography community has to have a slip of paper to validate our skills? We may be shooting for well over 40 years, as a hobby, self-taught, but until we get that "slip of paper" saying that we're "knowledgeable"...all those years of experience don't mean a hill of poop.

Yep, I'm taking the NYIP course, when I have enough money, (yep, way to throw more money out the window...that could be going to pay for equipment) to supplement the knowledge I've learned from experience, but also to "validate" those skills I have learned from "pressing the shutter" and also to show my clients...with 75 cent piece of paper, that..."HEY...EVERYBODY...I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!" Really makes me scratch my head.
My Gear
  #29    Top
Old July 8th, 2008, 04:43 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: garden080621-JJ2E8353
"Isn't it interesting how the photography community has to have a slip of paper to validate our skills? We may be shooting for well over 40 years, as a hobby, self-taught, but until we get that "slip of paper" saying that we're "knowledgeable"...all those years of experience don't mean a hill of poop.

Yep, I'm taking the NYIP course, when I have enough money, (yep, way to throw more money out the window...that could be going to pay for equipment) to supplement the knowledge I've learned from experience, but also to "validate" those skills I have learned from "pressing the shutter" and also to show my clients...with 75 cent piece of paper, that..."HEY...EVERYBODY...I KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT!" Really makes me scratch my head.
"

I respectfully disagree. I think experience is very well regarded in the photography world and other professional fields. I have a BA in photography, but I have met and have learned to respect, several great photographers who have never taken a photo course, who know what they're doing and are very successful. I have also known a few photographers with photo degrees, who I doubt the depth of their knowledge and capabilities as a photographer.

A degree or certification, doesn't guarantee knowledge. And, any education, in anything, is a sharing of knowledge of what is already known and what already exists. It is a mere foundation. It is how one applies that foundation to new ideas and new discoveries that make education so valuable. You can throw all the money in the world on buying new equipment. But, ownership doesn't necessarily equate to more knowledge. You may get to play and experiment with the equipment and gain more experience and knowledge, but that's what schools do, and do more efficiently. They provide the knowledge, tools, and a well thought out plan to get you to the knowledgeable state faster than if you were to experiment and explore on your own.

I don't know much about NYIP. I don't know much about any other schools than the ones that I've been to. I don't know if getting a degree or certification from NYIP will instantly gain you knowledgeable status. I am certain, though, that a degree or certification from a school, NYIP or other, will gain you more knowledge, and sooner than experimenting and experiencing on your own.

Your thoughts?
  #30    Top
Old July 8th, 2008, 06:38 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
What I find, though is that with the education, what you are getting (in the instructor's viewpoint) is one person's interpretation of your work?

If I shoot something a certain way, yes, in my mind, if the shutter speed and aperture are correct, and the image comes out the way I am wanting it to look...and the composition is what I intended, then that is a "great photo" which I have personally taken. What I find is, that the person who teaches the course is putting his own interpretation of the student's work and critiquing it as such...and that is a dangerous game to play. Who is to say what is right and wrong.

Can you as a pro-portrait and commercial photographer, come and play in my world as a architectural photographer, not without some study and research to develop a style of your own. I believe that yes, education is important to US to fill in the gaps in knowledge, but for customers to put such emphasis on whether you have the educational credentials to back up a professional body of work, is nonsensical. That is what is boggling my mind, not the reasoning for us taking the course to round out our base of knowledge.
My Gear
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles