Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#31    Top
Old July 8th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: garden080621-JJ2E8353
If everything is just as you intended, then yes, all is good. I feel though, we photographers, all artists, often get too attached to our creations. Of course an instructor will interpret your work through his own knowledge, his feelings, his life's experiences. That is what critiques are all about. I don't see anything wrong there. I can only guess that you've had some instructors with whom you have conflicting personalities(?)

I think it's good to believe in yourself and your work. I think that it's good that you
have a definite style and product that you feel is marketable. You know this already, but I'll say it because I feel some frustration in your reply--you can't win 'em all. How do you really know that your client didn't move forward with the project due to lack of credentials? How do you know it's not something else and they're only using the education status as a scapegoat? And, perhaps, your client really believes in working with people with formal training. Simple. The thing is, you just can't win 'em all. And that, has nothing to do with education. It's just business.
  #32    Top
Old July 9th, 2008, 03:32 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Chris, I have had "NO" formal training whatsoever. What I know, I have taught myself. I find that I personally tend to search out subjects that I am interested in and dive headlong into them. Photography has not only been a business but a sort of therapy. I find I come alive behind the viewfinder.

Now, as I've said, Composition and lighting is open for debate with regards to the setup of the picture. A certain person may like the lighting a certain way, but another person may not. But my question is it? Whose creation is it, the person taking the picture or the person perceiving it after the composition is created? If the person who is viewing the work a certain way doesn't like it, then by all means, go behind the viewfinder and recreate it. All the more power to him then.

As I've stated before, I have had no formal training. I personally don't have the finances to go take courses in photography to get myself a BA in Photography and on the West Coast of Canada (BC) the only two decent photography schools don't come with degrees and cost an arm and a leg which I'd much rather put towards a D3 and a D300. But that is MY personal opinion. I read books, I read magazines and I don't understand how the heck everything I read about photography, I understand, because if someone wanted me to do trigonometry and calculus, I'd be friggin' stumped. I'd have to say I'm an individualist. I can learn the basics and concepts of composition of photography a lot better by reading a book and going out and putting it into practice than by sitting in a classroom gleaning other people's views. Certainly they have valid points and have been there and done that...(are earning money from their photography). I've come from the school of hard knocks. I've blown over a thousand rolls of film and shot over 6500 frames through my Nikon D50. And I've gained my knowledge the hard way. And I hate to say it, but I'm darn proud of that too. If going to school is the best way certain people can learn the art of photography, then all the more power to them. It just wasn't the best way for me.
My Gear
  #33    Top
Old August 5th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Recent Photo: WAYLA? Tighter Crop
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Re: Is NYIP for ME?

I realize that this is an old post, but I happened to be skimming through the articles for something and spotted this. As an NYIP graduate myself, I have to laugh at some of the "necessary items" at the bottom of the article. It amazes me how far we've come in 10 years. Mine had DVDs/CDs instead of VCR tapes (although it's fairly safe to say they used the same videos, judging by the quality of them anyway.)

Even as a 3rd generation photographer where I've learned A LOT from my uncle and my dad, I still learned quite a bit I didn't know or hadn't tried until the course. (My grandfather flat out refused to photograph children. He saw it as a waste of film, and knowing what it's like to get photos of my guy...I can understand that sentiment when you have to pay for every shot whether it's usable or not).

There's nothing wrong with being self-taught, or not getting a course, but if you are going to do a course, I highly recommend the NYIP course.

My Blog "The Darkroom"
Ian Kuhn Photography
Sponsors
  #34    Top
Old August 21st, 2014, 03:09 PM
Re: Is NYIP for ME?

Good afternoon all, I did NYIP years ago when it was still done by mail. I think I paid $800.00 or 900.00 for it. I did learn quite a bit, but some years later I enrolled at a local community college in the Commercial Photography Program (should graduate in March), and the difference is night and day. You cannot replicate professional instruction through the mail, or online.
Having said that, if you don't have the time, money or energy to attend classes physically it is better than nothing. Even in a community college this is one of the most expensive programs they have, 35mm film and printing paper is not cheap; 4'x5' film with paper (20'x24') will make your eyes bug out.
I'm flat broke, but I have nice equipment and know how to use it.

I hope this helps.

Dennis
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles