Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Articles

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.50 average.
  #11    Top
Old September 30th, 2006, 11:59 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Compressed Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhuting View Post
damn, that concerns me, because i have some pretty good shots of fiji on webshots that are unprotected...guess i should take them off and watermark them. anyone know a good batch watermarking software?
I use Fast Stone, it does wonders!
It can also add text, borders, resize, and much more!

What about the Digital Millennium Copyright Act ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DMCA ). Techinally our photos are "digital" we took them with our digital cameras and then (alot of the time) they are edited on the computer digitaly...
but i think im just thinking to optimistcally =(

Beware: Im a newbie
  #12    Top
Old October 25th, 2006, 04:20 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Very good article. In Australia, it works a little different. To copyright images/photographs etc, the only requirement is imprinting of the Copyright symbol, Owners Name, and year of creation before they are put on public display. Then as I found out when one of my photos was taken and used to promote a car event, all I had to do was prove I was the original owner. Case over in my favour. I have however, placed large notices about the copyright legalities on my website. While not a legal necessity, if anyone else tries to use my pics from my site, they cannot deny they didn't know.
http://www.flickr.com/biante12
http://johnharneyphotography.com
Perth, Western Australia
  #13    Top
Old October 25th, 2006, 05:03 AM
Premiere Member
I think I'm right in saying that in Europe you're automatically fully covered as long as you can prove you're the image owner?

Anyone have the facts on this?

It's probably worth destroying all your EXIF data when you put the image outside of your own private archive as that may help you prove that you're the image's origin, also, by producing the original JPEG-EXIF, DNG or RAW file. Photoshop's 'Save For Web' option saves without added data I think?
  #14    Top
Old October 27th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Elite Member
For those of us who do not live in the USA (I live in the European Union) what, if any, protection do we have in ensuring our images are not stolen? My understanding is that we all have copyright automatically in our own work but is there anything apart from litigation that offers redress when copyright is violated?
Dave

PS I did not see the post immediately before this one before I posted. I would still like to know the definitive position in the EU and worldwide as when images are published on the web it is easy to download them and pass them off as your own work. I don't want to print copyright marks across my images because I think it makes photos unviewable. Are there any solutions?
  #15    Top
Old October 27th, 2006, 08:29 AM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: Tails
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by guy View Post
I think I'm right in saying that in Europe you're automatically fully covered as long as you can prove you're the image owner?

Anyone have the facts on this?

It's probably worth destroying all your EXIF data when you put the image outside of your own private archive as that may help you prove that you're the image's origin, also, by producing the original JPEG-EXIF, DNG or RAW file. Photoshop's 'Save For Web' option saves without added data I think?
In the Philippines the way to probe you are the original owner of the images is to produce the raw image file. So we encourage photographers here to use raw on shooting if they want their images protected.
  #16    Top
Old December 16th, 2006, 05:13 PM
Thanks for having posted this!
http://www.1stimpression.wordpress.com
  #17    Top
Old January 19th, 2007, 12:51 AM
Recent Photo: Orbs2
watermarks?

If I did have a "very good" photos that I'd like to share but others would want to use it commercially, will watermarks protect it? I'm a photoshop user and I know lots of tricks I'm quite sure that it can be used to remove such marks. I feel sad about these. I hope they will just feel the value of respect. Well good luck to all. If I happened to find out one that will encrypt our photos (wishful thinking only... )then I will share it with you guys .
  #18    Top
Old January 21st, 2007, 04:06 PM
not sure if anyone asked this already...but the only question i have is...how many pictures can you send in at once with just the $45? what if i have 10 cds of pictures? is there a limit?
Sponsors
  #19    Top
Old January 21st, 2007, 09:06 PM
Recent Photo: Rosy in the sun7
When you're talking about United States copyright law...

Any number of photos can be submitted at any one time. If all are unpublished, referring to them by a batch number is fine as long as you identify the collection with a title, provided a) they are all by the same author and b) all are within a stated date range.

If they're published, then you have to state the first date that each was published. Also bear in mind that if you as a photographer create a work for hire, the employer is the author, not you.
  #20    Top
Old February 17th, 2008, 11:02 PM
Elite Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I'm glad to see my article is still available for people to read. Although I think some people still miss a few of the important parts of why it's worth registering your images... at least here in the US. It's not that registering gives you any more protection that we already get when we create an image... it's that registration puts some real serious teeth behind the protection that we do have. What good is copyright protection if we can't afford to use it? At least for us "little guys", registration allows us to go after the people that want to take advantage of our work, talent and creativity. And this is just as important to those that think their images are shoebox quality as it does to gallery quality images.

Since I wrote the article listed in this thread, I was infringed on again. This time by someone that thought she could ignore me, then play dumb and then bluff. After I used the DMCA to have her commercial web site shut down (one letter was all it took to her hosting site, Earthlink) and my lawyer sent her a letter (and I believe she finally talked to an IP lawyer as well), she was very quick to pay a pretty good sized check to keep it out of court. I didn't even mind a bit paying what I had to pay to my lawyer for the letters he had to write.

This is the difference between being registered and not being registered. Had I not had my images registered, she could have continued thumbing her nose at me and not taken down all of my images that she was using on her commercial web site. And she wouldn't have had to pay me a very nice usage fee for her illegal use of my images. At least she wouldn't have unless I wanted to pay a lot more to take her to court. But having them registered, all of that wasn't necessary.

For those that are interested, the updated version can be found here: http://www.sitnprettyphoto.com/displ...rightinfo.html

Another thing to consider... for everyone that is willing to ignore copyright infringement, that is another hole put into copyright protection for all of us. And believe me, it's very satisfing to be able to do something about someone that tries to rip you off.

Mike