Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Tutorials

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.
  #11    Top
Old June 27th, 2006, 05:28 PM
Thank you for posting this tutorial! I'll definitely give it a try. I had been using the "desaturate" method, and then increasing the contrast and the brightness slightly to make it seem less flat. I think I will like your method better.

Janna
  #12    Top
Old June 28th, 2006, 06:12 PM
Great tutorial -- B&W results are much, much better
  #13    Top
Old June 29th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: IMG_5414_hf_TIF1
Is this for elements? Because i cant figure it out. I cant find“New Fill Layer”anywhere in layers.
Please someone help!
Chrisitna

Gallery
Feel free to critique any of my images.

#14    Top
Old June 29th, 2006, 03:27 PM
VIP Member
Recent Photo: Ouch!
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by christinayoder
Is this for elements? Because i cant figure it out. I cant find“New Fill Layer”anywhere in layers.
Please someone help!
Chrisitna
hmmm , well, I did make it for elements, although the same things should be in all photoshop versions... Look either in the Layers drop down menu or in the the Layers palette icon for different types of layers. Another way is just to add a transparent layer and fill it with the grey color. Then change the blending mode in the layers palette.
Manfrotto 190CXPro4
  #15    Top
Old July 23rd, 2006, 03:28 PM
VIP Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Just an update guys and gals. I made a second tutorial that I just sent to Tim. In case I haven't already stated I'm grateful for the wonderful feedback in regards to this tutorial. I hope my next one is just as good or better
Manfrotto 190CXPro4
  #16    Top
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Cranes before sunrise
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I played around with three different methods to make b/w pictures:
1. desaturate method
2. VBSmiles method with the layers
3. change the mode to Grayscale (which I used until now). Image -->mode--> Grayscale

I can see the biggest differences between the Grayscale mode and the desaturate method. Can somebody explain me why you don't use the Grayscale mode? Are there disadvantages by this method?

Here the results of the three methods (attached in the order they are listed above)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239_saturation.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	27022  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239_layer.JPG
Views:	127
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	27023  Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0239_mode.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	243.4 KB
ID:	27024  
  #17    Top
Old July 24th, 2006, 02:50 PM
VIP Member
The biggest disadvantage is that you are not using layers. If you made further changes to your photograph without using layers, it may not be possible to back up and start over without closing the photograph all together, and voiding out changes.
The advantages of layers, particularly when working with many, is that you can easily make changes or even destroy a layer without loosing anything else you may have already done. I have an introductory to layers in the tutorial section. that may help you understand this concept more.
Im not entirely sure how photoshop changes to greyscale though. I could only assume its simular to my own method but without layers, without investigating further.
Anyway, my next tutorial on b/w will probably have you spinning in circles and you may never use any of these 3 methods again
Manfrotto 190CXPro4
  #18    Top
Old September 29th, 2006, 08:48 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Compressed Village
wow, i never relized this! thanks for the tip!

Beware: Im a newbie
  #19    Top
Old January 9th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Is it just me?

Okay, I can see the difference between the tree example but when I tried this on a group portrait there doesn't seem to be much difference between desaturated and colour masking. Could it be that with a plain background this particular photo doesn't have as much tone difference as a street shot?
  #20    Top
Old January 11th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I always used the desaturate tool, but now, with this method the result is better.
Thanks again
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Tutorials