Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Lenses & Accessories (Film & Digital)

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old July 11th, 2006, 07:42 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: pp Project 1
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Gotcha - wrist strap

I have just ordered one of these as it looked like a really simple but effective way of stopping someone from grabbing your cam out your hands. Especially if you are shooting somewhere busy (Terri - take note here!!!)

I'll let you know how I get on with it when it arrives but the idea looks really good and much better than hanging something around your neck!

Andy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf PR gotcha wrist strap.pdf (54.0 KB, 83 views)

I take photographs with love, so I try to make them art objects. But I make them for myself first and foremost - that is important.
Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #2    Top
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:35 AM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Cool!
  #3    Top
Old July 11th, 2006, 01:32 PM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
I'd be interested to hear how you get on with it.

I've seen these things before, but wasn't too keen, as I quite like having my camera around my neck. That way I still have my hands free should I want to do anything else. I mean, you can't really have the camera dangling off your wrist, can you.

I look forward to your 'report'.
  #4    Top
Old July 11th, 2006, 10:26 PM
Premiere Member
don't know if i'd somehow trust 1k+ of camera gear just freely swinging from my hand like that, subsceptible to being fossied by anything near your hands...good i guess if your going to be holding your camera....could be a good option, as i realyl don't like having a strap around my neck.

let us know how it works out!

head!?
  #5    Top
Old July 12th, 2006, 02:24 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I will let you know.

but - my thinking is like this:

Most of the time I have a tendency when I'm shooting to carry the camera by the grip and walk with it like that - I don't like having a cam bumping around hanging round my neck - it's also too bleeding heavy!

Hence the strap, I don't want to use it to carry the camera, more to act as a keepsafe in case someone tries to grap the cam in a busy place, or if I do something stupid like drop it (I've never done that yet but don't want to start now!)

I think it's more of a security thing really.

Should be here tomorrow, once "field tested" I will give you a report!

Andy

I take photographs with love, so I try to make them art objects. But I make them for myself first and foremost - that is important.
Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #6    Top
Old July 12th, 2006, 10:54 PM
VIP Member
Recent Photo: Ouch!
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Sounds interesting... sometimes I go out specifically to find a nice candid - of course I havent taking any pictures... too darn reserved. but do know having the camera in hand is the best way in these type of shots. Firs,it secures your camera from dropping, and even possiblility of theif.secondly, reaction is so much faster... "camera to eye, and shoot".
I never let it dangle.. I use the bands pressure itself, with my hand on the grip to keep it secure. My only problems are, my neck band is taking a beating and too bulky to really do this.
Alot of the smaller cameras like terri has do carry accessory bands to let it dangle. Being so much smaller and lighter, a super thick band is really not needed.
Would be interesting to find out just how secure these bands are.
Manfrotto 190CXPro4
Sponsors
  #7    Top
Old July 13th, 2006, 12:01 AM
Premiere Member
Whenever I'm out and about taking pics I usually wrap the neck strap around my wrist 3 or 4 times.

Good luck to the fool that tries to grab my gear.
  #8    Top
Old July 13th, 2006, 02:23 AM
Premiere Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20DNewbie
Whenever I'm out and about taking pics I usually wrap the neck strap around my wrist 3 or 4 times.

Good luck to the fool that tries to grab my gear.

My biggest fear is someone on a moped trying to grab my gear - I have this vision of me disappearing down the street behind a motorbike!!!

yikes!

Andy

Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #9    Top
Old July 13th, 2006, 10:56 PM
Premiere Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneof42

My biggest fear is someone on a moped trying to grab my gear - I have this vision of me disappearing down the street behind a motorbike!!!

yikes!

Andy

(Note to self, when noticing approaching mopeds remember to toss tripod into front spokes)
  #10    Top
Old July 14th, 2006, 04:14 AM
The One and Only
Recent Photo: Wood Frog
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20DNewbie

(Note to self, when noticing approaching mopeds remember to toss tripod into front spokes)

I'm glad I'm the only in the office right now. I read Andy's remark, and then yours, 20DNewbie, and I was laughing so much I could have fallen off my chair.

Funny thing is, I've thought about that happening to me when I'm walking around with my camera round my neck. The tripod in the spokes idea is great though. LOL I mean, I would never give up my camera. I'd rather be dragged for miles, and hope someone comes to the rescue.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography Equipment > Lenses & Accessories (Film & Digital)