Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 11th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Premiere Member
any comp geeks willing to help me?

i'm checkin in from a desktop today, as my laptop is down. yesterday, i went away from my desk for about two hours (unexpected) and had left the laptop on. when i got back, i had this heretofore unseen text message covering the screen telling me that there was a problem, if it was the first time i'd seen to shut down and re-start, etc (don't remember the whole thing)
when i tried to restart, the comp stopped the start-up after initial system bios check and said: operating system unavailable.
i tried several things, like disabling usb support etc. no dice.
i tried booting with a re-covery cd rom that came with the comp. no dice.
i left the comp and went to bed a very dejected and depressed young man.
got up this morn, booted up fine!
tried several things, all worked fine.
put comp on standby, could not get out of it!
shut down, re-started, now get the following error message:
unable to boot because system32\drivers\ntfs.sys file is corrupt or missing. re-boot with original set-up disk(which i can't find) and press r at first screen to begin repair.
i tried with the recovery disk, i tried with an xp pro install disk, and get to the same point, the error message re; the corrupt or missing file. this happens no matter when i hit the r key.
any suggestions?
  #2    Top
Old January 11th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Lomographer
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
What did the message say?

www.baimaging.com
www.lomohomes.com/duality

NB: If you edit my work, please don't upload it to Imageshack - just attach it to a message, thanks.
  #3    Top
Old January 11th, 2005, 03:14 PM
Premiere Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
There are some nice people at http://www.thesupportforum.com that would be very willing to help you!

Having computer problems? Want to help other people with their computer problems?
JOIN THE SUPPORT FORUM!!!!

Love to Travel? JOIN YOUR TRAVEL FORUM!!
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old January 11th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Premiere Member
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
much as i hate to say it sounds to me you got a virus on it and it took some time to get going on your system, but keep in mind im not real good with puters.
Someone once said: What goes around comes around.Work like you don't need the money.Love like you've never been hurt.Dance like nobody's watching.Sing like nobody's listening. Live like it's Heaven on Earth.
  #5    Top
Old January 11th, 2005, 06:51 PM
Premiere Member
yup, it's a virus. have to blow out the whole hd.
sucks bein me at the moment.
thanks for the help, guys.
  #6    Top
Old January 12th, 2005, 04:19 AM
Lomographer
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Take it to a PC repair shop. They should be able to mount your hard drive in another machine and recover the files on it. Then it will have to be reinstalled I guess.

Just because it wont boot, doesn't mean your files have been lost, just some files that are required to boot your machine.

Then install virus protection, and keep the definitions up to date (or install Linux! )

www.baimaging.com
www.lomohomes.com/duality

NB: If you edit my work, please don't upload it to Imageshack - just attach it to a message, thanks.
  #7    Top
Old January 13th, 2005, 04:36 PM
Elite Member
Actually, it is a trojan horse. i am going to be a lone wolf and assume sasser or a variant. Happened to a machine I was repairing in shop a while back.

if indeed it is a trojan from the sasser worm variety, you will need new ram. Sasser, and her suster bugs are what is known as TSR, or terminate, stay resident, meaning they are in the ram, and no amount of format, new HD or dancing naked smeared in peanut butter will clean up the mess. I suggest you go to pc-cillin.com if possible from a networked machine, perhaps install that HD into another machine to attempt this (but dont boot from it as master) and then scan it.

i am willing to bet money youll solve this issue that way..
  #8    Top
Old January 13th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Elite Member
while i am sitting here, the only other thing it could possibly be is you or someone you know deleted a key system file and windows went bat**** about it.

if this was caused by hardware, on a laptop especially, you wouldnt even get an error msg, youd get a blank screen and noises. Laptops tend to die if you fart near them. I went through 5 in as many months.
  #9    Top
Old January 14th, 2005, 02:31 AM
Banned
windows is great

windows virus' = 500,000 (more in reality)

os x virus' = 0

spyware for windows = to many to count

spyware for os x = 0

hardware from apple = great quality

hardware from bare bolts pc's = crap

people say, but apples are more expensive, for the same spec (exactly the same) they are the same price as dell, but apple just dont sell without the things you need for a top and trouble free comuting experience, the dont sell computers without usb 2 and they dont sell computers without firewire and wireless capabilitys, the wont sell you just the operating system without any software to use (and the softare is much better than available for windows) you dont have any peripheral troubles with os x panther, you buy a printer you plug it in, it works, same as any camera on the market, you just ont need to have stuff flashing up on your screen all the time

i hope longhorn is a better operating system than xp is and was, because its aweful
  #10    Top
Old January 14th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Elite Member
Os X is virus free? not true. Many viruses that affect PC's are WRITTEN on mac machines and ported. Fact of life.

linux? now there is virus freedom
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner