Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old August 5th, 2006, 05:10 PM
Silent Screamer
Recent Photo: Mr. Confused
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Is it upright really or is that part of the illusion? Was there thread in it when you started, maybe a tiny bit of white leftover from a dangling button or was it naked in it's pin cushion waiting for this moment of fame?

My mundanity for today...I like this game..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5857Lighter2fr.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	388.6 KB
ID:	28567  

EVERYTHING LOOKS PERFECT FROM FAR AWAY
  #12    Top
Old August 5th, 2006, 06:33 PM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by terri
Is it upright really or is that part of the illusion? Was there thread in it when you started, maybe a tiny bit of white leftover from a dangling button or was it naked in it's pin cushion waiting for this moment of fame?

My mundanity for today...I like this game..
I stuck the needle into the cover of my camera manual to make it stand up, otherwise it would have appeared too flat. Added an extension tube to the lens, and shot it, with flash, without flash, and with different ISO settings. The lowest ISO setting worked best, otherwise pictures turned out grainy (noise) and the needle appears mostly black. I was trying to show the shiny silver surface of it. It's more difficult than I realized.

That is one superb shot of a lighter! The shadow caused by the backlighting is excellent! Did you plan it that way, or was it serendipitous? A front-lit picture would never have had the same effect, and I would not have thought of backlighting it. Your angle is also great!

Quote:
My mundanity for today...I like this game
Not only are you a good photographer, but a good wordsmith, too! "Mundanity." I like that! I would never have thought that pictures of such mundane articles could be so good. It seems that there is no mundanity in photography.

Have you thought about putting your pictures into a website like Fotolia? www.fotolia.com You can actually sell them, there. Pictures need to be at least 1200 x 1800 pixels. Various organizations purchase the right to use the pics.
  #13    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 04:10 AM
Too Far
Recent Photo: Thristy 2
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Lovin these shots, lovin the comments even more. You guys make me laugh
  #14    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 05:25 AM
Silent Screamer
Recent Photo: Mr. Confused
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Chuckabutty
I stuck the needle into the cover of my camera manual to make it stand up, otherwise it would have appeared too flat. Added an extension tube to the lens, and shot it, with flash, without flash, and with different ISO settings. The lowest ISO setting worked best, otherwise pictures turned out grainy (noise) and the needle appears mostly black. I was trying to show the shiny silver surface of it. It's more difficult than I realized.

That is one superb shot of a lighter! The shadow caused by the backlighting is excellent! Did you plan it that way, or was it serendipitous? A front-lit picture would never have had the same effect, and I would not have thought of backlighting it. Your angle is also great!

Not only are you a good photographer, but a good wordsmith, too! "Mundanity." I like that! I would never have thought that pictures of such mundane articles could be so good. It seems that there is no mundanity in photography.

Have you thought about putting your pictures into a website like Fotolia? www.fotolia.com You can actually sell them, there. Pictures need to be at least 1200 x 1800 pixels. Various organizations purchase the right to use the pics.
Thanks Prof, for those wonderful compliments and glad you liked my lighter! My tool of the trade was a tiny little desk lamp that lives by my computer..now how fancy is that?? This is an interesting thread for me, I like the ordinary as well as the extraordinary and it puts the brain into overdrive which is always a good thing.

I'll check out Fotilia..I've looked into stock photography before and always found my image formats too small to be acceptable. I so need that new camera so I can try raking in a bit more money, justify the amount of time I spend on photography! Thanks for the link.

So what banal item are you going for today? Looking forward to seeing what it is and I'll be scanning the house myself.

EVERYTHING LOOKS PERFECT FROM FAR AWAY
  #15    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 06:01 AM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Lovin these shots, lovin the comments even more. You guys make me laugh
Join us, Andy, and let's see your pictures of mundane things.
  #16    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Thanks Prof, for those wonderful compliments and glad you liked my lighter! My tool of the trade was a tiny little desk lamp that lives by my computer..now how fancy is that?? This is an interesting thread for me, I like the ordinary as well as the extraordinary and it puts the brain into overdrive which is always a good thing.

I'll check out Fotilia..I've looked into stock photography before and always found my image formats too small to be acceptable. I so need that new camera so I can try raking in a bit more money, justify the amount of time I spend on photography! Thanks for the link.

So what banal item are you going for today? Looking forward to seeing what it is and I'll be scanning the house myself.
People spend big money for fancy studio lights, and you use a desk lamp. Not fancy but quite effective in that shot.

Does your camera have the ability to take "small," "medium," or "large" shots? If so, you may be taking "small" shots which are big on the computer but too small for stock photo sites. I use "medium" shots and these are bigger than needed. I reduce them to their minimum requirements for faster uploading.

My banal (also disgusting) shot for today is an aerial view of the trash in our compactor. Mundanity at it's best.. or worst.. depending on your point of view. I did not rearrange the trash for the purpose of this picture. I do note, though, how colourful it is. I never did like drab trash.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trash.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	28592  
  #17    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 06:36 AM
Too Far
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Too funny you guys.
Thought this was a little mundane, comes with a message too!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	lol.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	143.3 KB
ID:	28593  
  #18    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 06:49 AM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Too funny you guys.
Thought this was a little mundane, comes with a message too!
Mundane but ingenious, Andy! I see the message: "LOL" and note that the calculator must be Australian because it is upside down... to us in the northern hemisphere, that is. Nice mundane shot!
  #19    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 06:59 AM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Hmmmm...I see the needle does raise some poignant questions. I would prefer to not answer them, and allow the enigma to remain. Ah, but what the heck! It was a new needle I stole from my wife's sewing box. She's got hundreds of them and won't miss one.
Sponsors
  #20    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 07:28 AM
Too Far
Well 707 just wouldn't have made any sense now would it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Chuckabutty
Mundane but ingenious, Andy! I see the message: "LOL" and note that the calculator must be Australian because it is upside down... to us in the northern hemisphere, that is. Nice mundane shot!
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things