Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#21    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Well 707 just wouldn't have made any sense now would it
Sure it would! These mundane pictures raise questions. "707" raises questions like: Does Andy own a Boeing 707? Was Andy involved in the design or building of these planes? Does the Boeing company own Andy's calculator and the "707" is a permanent feature of the calculator? Enquiring minds need to know!
  #22    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:22 AM
Too Far
Recent Photo: Thristy 2
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Just keep guessing.
Now thats an idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Chuckabutty
Sure it would! These mundane pictures raise questions. "707" raises questions like: Does Andy own a Boeing 707? Was Andy involved in the design or building of these planes? Does the Boeing company own Andy's calculator and the "707" is a permanent feature of the calculator? Enquiring minds need to know!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	light.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	28603  
  #23    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 08:47 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: pp Project 1
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Can I play?

Terri and I have played this game before - she won!

Andy
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20060624_0105.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	410.3 KB
ID:	28608  

I take photographs with love, so I try to make them art objects. But I make them for myself first and foremost - that is important.
Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #24    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Just keep guessing.
Now thats an idea!
Oh, what a lovely bulb! It's so.... um... bulbous!
Now that raises the question: Is it a light bulb or a "dark sucker." See the following:

For years it has been believed that electric bulbs emitted light. However, recent information from Bell Labs has proven otherwise. Electric bulbs don't emit light, they suck dark. Thus they now call these bulbs dark suckers. The dark sucker theory, according to a Bell Labs spokesperson, proves the existence of dark, that dark has mass, heavier than that of light, and that dark is faster than light.

The basis of the dark sucker theory is that electric bulbs suck dark. Take for example, the dark suckers in the room where you are. There is less dark right next to them than there is elsewhere. The larger the dark sucker, the greater its capacity to suck dark. Dark suckers in a parking lot have a much greater capacity than the ones in this room.

As with all things, dark suckers don't last forever. Once they are full of dark, they can no longer suck. This is proven by the black spot on a full dark sucker. A candle is a primitive dark sucker. A new candle has a white wick. You will notice that after the first use, the wick turns black, representing all the dark which has been sucked into it. If you hold a pencil next to the wick of an operating candle, the tip will turn black because it got in the path of the dark flowing into the candle.

Unfortunately, these primitive dark suckers have a very limited range. There are also portable dark suckers. The bulbs in these can't handle all the dark by themselves, and must be aided by a dark storage unit. When the dark storage unit is full, it must be either emptied or replaced before the portable dark sucker can operate again.

Dark has mass. When dark goes into a dark sucker, friction from this mass generates heat. Thus it is not wise to touch an operating dark sucker.

Candles present a special problem, as the dark must travel in the solid wick instead of through glass. This generates a great amount of heat. Thus it can be very dangerous to touch an operating candle. Dark is also heavier than light. If you swim deeper and deeper, you notice it gets slowly darker and darker. When you reach a depth of approximately fifty feet, you are in total darkness. This is because the heavier dark sinks to the bottom of the lake and the lighter light floats to the top.

The immense power of dark can be utilized to man's advantage. We can collect the dark that has settled to the bottom of lakes and push it through turbines, which generate electricity and help push it to the ocean where it may be safely stored. Prior to turbines it was much more difficult to get dark from the rivers and lakes to the ocean.

The Indians recognized this problem and tried to solve it. When on a river in a canoe traveling in the same direction as the flow of dark, they paddled slowly, so as not to stop the flow of dark, but when they traveled against the flow of dark, they paddled quickly so as to help push the dark along its way.

Finally, we must prove that dark is faster than light. If you were to stand in an illuminated room in front of a closed, dark closet, then slowly open the closet door, you would see the light slowly enter the closet, but since the dark is so fast, you would not be able to see the dark leave the closet.

In conclusion, Bell Labs stated that dark suckers make all our lives much easier. So the next time you look at an electric bulb, remember that it is indeed a dark sucker.
  #25    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 12:14 PM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneof42
Can I play?

Terri and I have played this game before - she won!

Andy
Terri is good at this game, Andy, and so are you, I see. Your scissors picture is gloriously mundane. The colour of one blade of the scissors perfectly matches the red background. Are they really that colour or did you edit it that way?
  #26    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 01:39 PM
Silent Screamer
Recent Photo: Mr. Confused
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I've decided I must be a dark sucker as well since the further away from me I get the darker it becomes...WHAT????? Now that you've successfully bamboozled away all the knowledge of light I thought I ever knew, prof, I've decided that being a dark sucker (especially a portable one) is what I want to be 'when I grow up'.

Loving these shots, the dark sucker is gloriously glowing with dark sucking ability, andy.

Andy Pandy (sorry.., wanted to distinguish between the two andy's) the blood red of the scissors is simply put, fiercely cutting!

My hackneyed item is turning blue with envy...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	hi vis2fr.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	489.2 KB
ID:	28643  

EVERYTHING LOOKS PERFECT FROM FAR AWAY
  #27    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 02:03 PM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by terri
I've decided I must be a dark sucker as well since the further away from me I get the darker it becomes...WHAT????? Now that you've successfully bamboozled away all the knowledge of light I thought I ever knew, prof, I've decided that being a dark sucker (especially a portable one) is what I want to be 'when I grow up'.

Loving these shots, the dark sucker is gloriously glowing with dark sucking ability, andy.

Andy Pandy (sorry.., wanted to distinguish between the two andy's) the blood red of the scissors is simply put, fiercely cutting!

My hackneyed item is turning blue with envy...
Portable is good. Always be portable, that's what I always say.

Your tape rule looks bluish purple on my screen. I deduce from this that the tool belongs to a woman. Men (real men) don't use bluish-purple tape rules. Unwritten rule (pardon the pun). I note that rules over there still have inches on them. I was a brickie over there when England went metric. Caused a lot of problems for a while. I brought a 33 meter tape over here with me but have never used it because America has resisted the metric system, so far.

"Andy Pandy?" Is that show still going over there? I remember it when I was a kid. It was the least of my favourite TV programs for kids. My wife didn't like me watching it, anyway.
Sponsors
  #28    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 06:22 PM
Too Far
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Oh dear, this is so funny. The most brilliant dribble I have ever heard. Light suckers, I will never see light globes the same way again. Would love to hear you apply this brilliant theory to the sun, now thats one big light sucker.

And no Boeing 707, just adding up the bills!
  #29    Top
Old August 6th, 2006, 06:41 PM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Oh dear, this is so funny. The most brilliant dribble I have ever heard. Light suckers, I will never see light globes the same way again. Would love to hear you apply this brilliant theory to the sun, now thats one big light sucker.

And no Boeing 707, just adding up the bills!
The sun is very bright because the earth has been around for a long time, and there has been a lot of darkness to be sucked up. It happens every night. Good thing the sun is big because when that thing gets filled up and can no longer suck the dark from the earth, we will all be in permanent darkness.
  #30    Top
Old August 7th, 2006, 05:35 AM
Too Far
Your just too good at this. Will have to hunt around the house for another shot, your comments are just too amusing to resist. Come on other Andy and Terri, keep him going.
Just realized I called those dark suckers, light suckers, opps, we know what I meant, didn't we!
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things