Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#21    Top
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:25 AM
Junior VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
I hope you get on OK on the other forums. You'll hopefully notice me crop up a few times on those also. I've been on quite a few of them in the past. I just hope they treat you better than one or two of the forums that we compete with. I joined Lonely Planet's travel forum not so long ago, posted loads of really helpful replies to people's questions. No ads, just a sig file with a link to my site. What did they do? They just banned me and deleted all the messages. I'm sure you'll have better luck on the photgraphy forums - the ones I've been on... well, they all seem a friendly bunch and not quite so narrow minded.

Aaron
Sponsors
  #22    Top
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:54 AM
Elite Member
Quote:
No ads, just a sig file with a link to my site. What did they do? They just banned me and deleted all the messages.
Oh, man, that hurts. I feel sorry for you, cuz signature is a feature and if they don't like it so much, then they should just disable it ...
  #23    Top
Old April 23rd, 2004, 04:35 AM
Junior VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Loads of people have signature files on there. It's just mine happened to be a sig file for another travel forum. People should embrace competition not try to stifle it. Still, if that's the way they want to be... I'll just not buy their books any more out of principle!

Aaron
  #24    Top
Old April 23rd, 2004, 01:42 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Hehe... yeah, I'll have to be careful... that's pretty sad that you got banned for being competition... they probably just felt threatened by your superior site. At this point, I would feel the same way if someone joined here from dpreview or photo.net or something with a link to those sites in their sig.
  #25    Top
Old April 23rd, 2004, 03:32 PM
Junior VIP Member
But if they did, you wouldn't ban them for it, would you? It should be regarded as a compliment more than anything!

LP do a great job with providing info on destinations but they've gone way down in my estimations. Although their forum is busy, I don't think it's very user friendly (why they don't use something like phpBB or vBulletin I don't know) so maybe that's why they're concerned...

Aaron
  #26    Top
Old April 24th, 2004, 12:06 AM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
No, I wouldn't ban them... if they want to post in my forum, they're more than welcome... I would consider it a compliment for sure... if they were posting ads back to their site, I would probably just edit out the links or something, though. Maybe not... depends on the situation, I guess...
  #27    Top
Old April 24th, 2004, 03:33 AM
Junior VIP Member
That's fine if the ads were within the posts but I guess if it was just a sig file you wouldn't have a great problem with it.

Aaron
  #28    Top
Old April 24th, 2004, 03:49 AM
The Corner Creator
Yeah, sigs are fine (within reason, of course)... and they could even get away with it in the photography sites section... but in general, I think I would look at it as more of a compliment than anything...
  #29    Top
Old April 24th, 2004, 04:30 AM
Junior VIP Member
Hmmm... I'm not sure if they ever truly run themselves unless you have an amazing team of admins. Our admins and mods are good but I'm not sure if the forums would deteriorate or stagnate in my absence at this moment in time. You see, with the travel forums, they are away traveling quite often! And those forums have around 4,000 members and 13,000 posts.

I wonder if you need to be in the 50,000+ posts league to have something that is truly self-running.

Aaron
  #30    Top
Old April 24th, 2004, 01:34 PM
The Corner Creator
Yes, I suppose a bunch of good moderators is important as well... I guess I would really never expect the forum to be completely self running... but instead of working at keeping it active, I would expect that we would be working at cleaning the spam, etc...