Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Photography News

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old June 19th, 2004, 01:38 AM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I agree, with the hedge that I consider digital photography which has been processed only to the extent of removing noise, boosting contrast, color correction, cropping to still be "pure photography."

Those things go on at every 1 hour photo lab all day every day. The new digital minilabs (eg Fuji Frontier) automatically boost contrast, etc to just about every 35mm film strip that slides through.
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
Sponsors
  #12    Top
Old June 19th, 2004, 06:32 PM
Photography is Crumbling????

Hmmm ...

Quote:
In 1894, the president of the Royal Society, Lord Kelvin, predicted that radio had no future.
Quote:
In the early 20th century a world market for only 4 million automobiles was made because "the world would run out of chauffeurs."
Quote:
The telephone was not widely appreciated for the first 15 years because people did not see a use for it.
Quote:
Perhaps the guy who got it wrong most was the director of the US patent Office: in 1899 he assured President McKinley that "everything that can be invented has already been invented."
too funny!

Contest Guru's NEWS Blog ... come and check
out the new blog...participate or volunteer!
http://contestguru.com/contestnews
  #13    Top
Old June 19th, 2004, 06:39 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Hehe... good quotes...
  #14    Top
Old October 4th, 2004, 02:05 PM
Junior VIP Member
This topic is very interesting. As a new member, and a little late to the table, I would like to submit my two cents.

1. Pictures do not always tell the truth, or at least not all of it. Now before you start typing away, let me explain. A camera has no ability to trigger the shutter by itself, if requires someone who at that "decisive moment" triggers the shutter and camera captures the image. Now, I can hear all of you, no kidding Sherlock, but whats your point. The picture we see, is the result of someone choosing what we see. Censorship? No. Editing? Perhaps. A true photojournalist is trying to tell a story in a single image or an essay. My point and question, is how can anyone tell a story in a single image.

I became obsessed in photography when I was introduced to work by the likes of Robert Capa, Cartier-Bresson, and Lievowitz. Now the first two are GOD's, and so is Annie, but in a different area. Their images are so powerful and lasting, it seemed to be a good point to measure against.

If you have a copy of "In Our Time, the World as seen by Magnum Photographers" look at page 68-69. For those of you who do not have the book, the picture in a Russian cafeteria for construction workers. Who knows what the story is about, but the PICTURE is about a male and female making a personal connection. I love this picture as an example of knowing when to take the picture. Getting back to my point, it may have nothing to do with the story he was trying to document, or maybe it does, without additional pics or text we will never know. But the picture, in my opinion captures a little bit of life, which we can all relate to, at a point in time.

Photography is medium to document an event. It is the photographer who is the greatest risk to the truth. It is not just the result of the fantastic things we can do with digital photography, we (photographers) have always had an ability to fashion what we want to see, it is just easier now.

Anyhow I have rambled for a while, thanks for your patience. As you can tell I am a fan of that age of photography, one in which I dont think we will ever see again. Can you think of any publication that would publish work like that today? Let me know if you do! Is it photography that is crumbling, or is it the editors who select the pictures we see? We could go on for days!
  #15    Top
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:06 PM
Premiere Member
pisses me off when photos digitally altered in PS win photo comps. a bit of levels or saturation is acceptable in my eye however

updated 12.03.08 - Harman fibre based paper review coming soon
  #16    Top
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:44 PM
VIP Member
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
You can do alot of stuff in the darkroom that you can do in ps though. The difference is many many many hours more in the darkroom to do it, and its cheaper in ps *after you buy it*.

Also depends on how much ps'ing you mean, if its purely artistic, then it should be in a different catagory. But if its a perfect scene and you cant tell that it was ps'ed other than theres no way it would look that perfect in reality, then I think thats ok. :0) But everyone has different openions.
  #17    Top
Old October 4th, 2004, 05:46 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I think that basic enhancement in photoshop is acceptable. Slight cropping, levels, saturation to make your photo the best it can be. Now when you take a photo of a dog, and it ends up looking like a horse with wings, then i have a problem, its a competiton for photography, not photoshop.
  #18    Top
Old October 4th, 2004, 06:16 PM
Junior VIP Member
Kara has a great point! It is photography, not photoshop. Whether it is a contest or work, the final print should look something like the picture you took.
http://www.west1photo.zoomshare.com
http://www.thelondoner.ca
  #19    Top
Old October 4th, 2004, 06:17 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I agree 100%.
  #20    Top
Old October 4th, 2004, 06:22 PM
Junior VIP Member
Quote:
You should believe more in paintings, actually."
This quote is from the article. Anyone ever seen the painting "The Last Supper"?

The camera is but a tool. A skilled photographer can manipulate his/her tools with honorable or less than honorable intentions. Every photograph is a result of selective vision. The final product is a combination of the photographer's intentions and integrity.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Photography News