Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Product Reviews

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old August 11th, 2006, 09:31 AM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
The Nikon D50

Product Review: The Nikon D50

A quick overview of the new Nikon dSLR: the D50.
  #2    Top
Old August 20th, 2006, 02:04 PM
D50 Lens

I own a D50. All in All, I'm pretty happy although there are a few issues. The internal color processor is not the greatest. The AF is fast and just dandy for the average photo. The real problem comes if you use af for macros, or any high defination shots. It's best to just go manual or be happy with so-so DOF. My greatest beef has to do with the AF-S Nikkor 18-55mm 3.5-5.6G ED lens. In manual mode the fine focus ring is very loose and changes just by letting go of the ring.
  #3    Top
Old August 28th, 2006, 10:49 PM
i know what you mean. the focus ring is kinda loose. my friend jerry has one. and he has the same problem. maybe there is some way to tighten it? :-\
  #4    Top
Old September 1st, 2006, 12:26 AM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: Lizzu
Quote:
The internal color processor is not the greatest.
agreed...my reds come out so gross

other than that i have no complaints at all

the focus ring on the stock lens works fine for me.
  #5    Top
Old September 2nd, 2006, 10:54 AM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L. Walker
Product Review: The Nikon D50

A quick overview of the new Nikon dSLR: the D50.
I'm 95% happy with my D50. Pictures could be a bit sharper, but then I haven't yet tried the "Optimize Image">"Sharper" function.

These cameras come with a "kit" lens which may be lightweight in construction and performance. Some "PopPhoto" ads say: "Upgrade from your kit lens..." I think these ads were from Tamron or Sigma which are not pro-quality lenses, and if they are an upgrade, then the kit lens would presumably be bottom of the line. I had no problem with my Nikkor 18-55 kit lens focusing ring. It is silky-smooth and remains where I put it.

I use a Tamron 18-200mm with macro lens for my everyday lens and have obtained good results with it.

The menus are a bit cumbersome. I find it a little difficult to find my way back to certain places on the menu, at times, but I have not compared this menu system with those on other cameras.
My little Kodak Easyshare C643 has a better menu system than the D50.
  #6    Top
Old September 6th, 2006, 02:19 AM
Junior VIP Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAB
agreed...my reds come out so gross

other than that i have no complaints at all

the focus ring on the stock lens works fine for me.
I just bought a new Nikon D50 and also have problems with the reds. Especially on dark skinned people and newborns. Yuk! What to do? Kathy g
  #7    Top
Old September 6th, 2006, 05:42 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: pp Project 1
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy g
I just bought a new Nikon D50 and also have problems with the reds. Especially on dark skinned people and newborns. Yuk! What to do? Kathy g
Do you have the same issues if you shoot in RAW?

Andy

I take photographs with love, so I try to make them art objects. But I make them for myself first and foremost - that is important.
Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #8    Top
Old September 6th, 2006, 05:50 AM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathy g
The light meter on any camera will try to render dark or light colours as the equivalent of 18% gray, meaning dark-skinned people will turn out much lighter, and light-skinned people will turn out darker. Try metering off something else which is lighter than the dark skin, hold down the release button and recompose, then shoot the picture.

I haven't taken any pictures of dark-skinned people but have obviously had other dark subjects. I have had no problem with mine, but then I'm not using the kit lens which came with the camera. I believe it is only a two-element lens, compared with several elements in a better lens. I know it's hard to pay about $600 for a camera and then find you have to fork out another $400 for a lens but it may be the only way to overcome the problem you describe, assuming you are using the kit lens which came with the camera. I'm achieving good results with my Tamron 18-200mm macro lens which cost around $400.
Sponsors
  #9    Top
Old September 14th, 2006, 11:06 AM
Canadian Edition
Recent Photo: Iceberg #4
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I avoid reds with my D50. Not much detail in them at all.
  #10    Top
Old September 14th, 2006, 05:30 PM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noel View Post
I avoid reds with my D50. Not much detail in them at all.
I did a bit of experimenting after reading your comment. I know the D50 isn't "top of the line" but we should not have to avoid reds, especially as they add pizzazz to a picture. I guess I really hadn't given it much thought, before but the reds really are wishy-washy, so I checked things out. The D50 comes with standard settings which - in my opinion - are not standard. It takes just a little bit of tinkering with to make it do what it ought to do. On the menu, go to "Optimize Image" then go to "Custom." On the "Saturation" make it "Moderate." On the "Color Mode" make it "Adobe RGB." I am attaching a picture of my results. The left column is the camera's standard setting. The right column is the enhanced setting. You can enhance it more than this if you like. The resulting enhancements are now just like the items I photographed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Reds comparison.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	240.3 KB
ID:	32773  
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Product Reviews