Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Product Reviews

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:08 PM
Canadian Edition
Recent Photo: Iceberg #4
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I am talking about so bright they really look digital if you know what I mean.
  #12    Top
Old September 14th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noel View Post
No, I'm not sure what you mean. My reds were very dull. Did you try changing the menu settings?
  #13    Top
Old September 14th, 2006, 09:37 PM
Junior VIP Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Chuckabutty View Post
I did a bit of experimenting after reading your comment. I know the D50 isn't "top of the line" but we should not have to avoid reds, especially as they add pizzazz to a picture. I guess I really hadn't given it much thought, before but the reds really are wishy-washy, so I checked things out. The D50 comes with standard settings which - in my opinion - are not standard. It takes just a little bit of tinkering with to make it do what it ought to do. On the menu, go to "Optimize Image" then go to "Custom." On the "Saturation" make it "Moderate." On the "Color Mode" make it "Adobe RGB." I am attaching a picture of my results. The left column is the camera's standard setting. The right column is the enhanced setting. You can enhance it more than this if you like. The resulting enhancements are now just like the items I photographed.
I will try changing it a biit under the custom menu. Thanks everyone for the advice. I will try different ones. Kathy g
  #14    Top
Old September 21st, 2006, 12:15 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I'm absolutely rapturous with my D50, since I bought it two weeks ago. My focus ring isn't loose and depending on which f/stop I use, I can compensate for overbrightness of the reds. My only problem is that I'm on normal jpeg and it's friggin' 17.2 MB a picture!!!!!!!!!!! Time to buy a new hard drive 'cuz this 250 GB is going to be jam-packed VERY SOON!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Noel View Post
Dave, do you mean that your reds look un-naturally bright. Have you got a polarizing filter? Or a filter that can neutralize the red to get rid of the brightness; not to the point of dulling it, but taking away some of the over-brightness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAB View Post
agreed...my reds come out so gross

other than that i have no complaints at all

the focus ring on the stock lens works fine for me.
CAB, You're in New West? I'm in South Surrey now by 64th Avenue and King George. I used to live in New West and used to shoot at Queens Park, I don't recall anywhere where you could test out the red shooting capability on your D50, but I'd look for one of the red brick walls. Try shooting the pavement near what used to be the old Telus building just about half a block North-West of 6th and 6th or on Royal Center. It's got Red brick, and then play with your settings.
My Gear
  #15    Top
Old September 21st, 2006, 03:21 PM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Animal View Post
My only problem is that I'm on normal jpeg and it's friggin' 17.2 MB a picture!!!!!!!!!!! Time to buy a new hard drive 'cuz this 250 GB is going to be jam-packed VERY SOON!
Unless you are going to have huge prints made from your shots, you can set the D50 to take Large, Medium or Small shots. The Small shots are more than adequate for viewing on a monitor and even then, can still use some downsizing.
  #16    Top
Old October 10th, 2006, 10:12 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
perhaps he had it on raw?
  #17    Top
Old October 11th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Nope...bmwlover...I had it on NORMAL JPEG mode. ~blink~ Wow...I'd hate to see what the D80's 10.2 MP size would be like. I think a new hard-drive for my...(OUCH! Featherbelle just poked me and commented "OUR") computer is in order.
My Gear
Sponsors
  #18    Top
Old November 20th, 2006, 08:06 AM
Elite Member
Recent Photo: Mustard Plug
Quote:
My only problem is that I'm on normal jpeg and it's friggin' 17.2 MB a picture
17!! I don't get images anywhere near that size and I use Raw
  #19    Top
Old November 20th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Account Disabled
Quote:
Nope...bmwlover...I had it on NORMAL JPEG mode. ~blink~ Wow...I'd hate to see what the D80's 10.2 MP size would be like. I think a new hard-drive for my...(OUCH! Featherbelle just poked me and commented "OUR") computer is in order.
I think I know what's happening. With the menu picture size set on large, the FILE size is actually 2.74 MB. But when you open it with your editor, the PICTURE size is 17.2 MB. It happens for me, too, but if you look at the file in your Windows Explorer, you will see the actual file size at 2.74 MB. So you won't be filling your hard drive us so quickly. Perhaps some knowledgeable person will explain to us why this is.

I looked at the competition rules in Popular Photography, some time ago, and they say the minimum picture size they will accept is 9 MB. When I saw the size of my picture as being 2.74 MB, I enlarged it until the file size became 9 MB. If I could have printed it out I could have papered my living room with it. I thought their requirement was ridiculous, but later I found out about the picture size thingy.
  #20    Top
Old December 3rd, 2006, 02:40 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Im pretty sure they are giving the requirment for the resolution of the picture. instead of giving the dimensions they are just giving you the sie in which those dimensions would meet.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Product Reviews