Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old January 17th, 2005, 03:45 PM
P-R-O-crastinator
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Ocean Waves - 2nd Post

I tried to brighten these a little in photoshop and adjust the contrast a little but I may have adjusted and brightened a little too much. Thoughts...Ideas?

This was my first time experimenting with aperture AND shutter settings. I really need a telephoto lens.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	waves-1---web.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	223.2 KB
ID:	2187  Click image for larger version

Name:	waves-2---web.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	2188  

My Website
  #2    Top
Old January 17th, 2005, 08:37 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
They're looking pretty good, Kris... they do appear to have quite a bit of noise, though... The angled shoreline and the straight horizon don't seem to gel quite right, though... maybe a more angled shore line?
  #3    Top
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:38 AM
P-R-O-crastinator
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
What exactly is "noise" and can you elaborate a little more on the shoreline...etc. I loved these photo's but there was something about them that my inexperience doesn't tell me.

My Website
  #4    Top
Old January 18th, 2005, 05:42 AM
Lomographer
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
I'd second Tim's observation.

If you stand orthogonally to the shore and take the shot, you'd get nice stripes of sky - sea - beach. With this kind of shot, there isn't a subject per se, so form and composition is your subject. The angle of the shoreline and the angle of the horizon seem to fight a little. Also, you could try to shoot early morning, or late afternoon where the light might be a little more interesting.

The noise Tim was talking about is a grainyness of the photos, and could be due to how you compressed the images for the web. If you're seeing this kind of "grittyness" on all your photos, try checking your ISO settings. Normally they'd be something in the range of 100 - 400 ISO.

Nicely exposed, good job.

www.baimaging.com
www.lomohomes.com/duality

NB: If you edit my work, please don't upload it to Imageshack - just attach it to a message, thanks.
  #5    Top
Old January 18th, 2005, 09:40 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Vernal Equinox
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Another thing to consider Kris is when you shoot around water you may want to stick on a polarizing filter. It will help reduce glare off the water and better saturate the blue skies.

Moderator Emeritus

Great photographs are never taken they are created.
  #6    Top
Old January 18th, 2005, 10:55 AM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Yeah, well explained Ben, and good point DDAY... I polarizer would work wonders on these shots as well...
  #7    Top
Old January 19th, 2005, 06:45 PM
P-R-O-crastinator
Okay. That sounds good. At least the parts I understand... .

Benhill....with the horizon and the shoreline angles sort of "fighting" with each other, how would I better position my tripod and myself to get the shot that is more balanced? I basically understand the 1/3 rule but I don't really know where I need to put my camera and tripod to get the right angles for a shot like that.

I also believe the noise must be from the compression. I work in PS 7.0 and when I am done editing or resizing my photo, I use the save for web option and save it as JPEG Max. Is there something else I could do to keep the noise from getting into the photo when I save it?

I also don't think I get what ISO means. I thought it was film speed and then I tried to read an article on it but it confused me more. How do I check my ISO and is that not a digital camera thing? (See how dense I am with all this photography lingo?....I can't believe I used to understand all of this stuff and forgot it!!!! What a dork...LOL!!! ). Maybe I should look into a photography term dictionary.

DDAY and Tim....I definitely want a polarizing filter. There are so many times that I go out to shoot and the dull color in the sky is the only thing keeping the shot from being what I would consider really good. I am going to start looking for a camera accessories store here....wish me luck in that as I haven't seen any signs of one yet...but are filters expensive? I wouldn't think they would be too high priced and being that I can't afford a telephoto lens right now, at least I could get a polarizing filter to make what shots I do get with my smaller lens turn out better.

My Website
  #8    Top
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:39 PM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
What camera are you using?

ISO is a measure of film "speed" or sensitivity to light. ISO is also used in digital cameras to change the relative sensitivity of the sensor, similar to changing films in a film camera.

The higher the ISO, the faster the film, and the more grainy it will be. The same goes for digital. The higher the ISO, the more noise the image will contain.

As for your question about composition, take an empty picture frame with you when you shoot. Before you take a picture, "frame" the area. Look through the picture frame, and see what looks good and what doesn't. Then you'll have an idea what to shoot.
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
  #9    Top
Old January 19th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Junior VIP Member
Off Topic (kinda):
Does anyone else view the sea a lot differently these days? Sinister?
  #10    Top
Old January 19th, 2005, 09:07 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Quote:
Does anyone else view the sea a lot differently these days? Sinister?

No, I don't...but then I spent a career with the sea. I've always respected its power and admired its beauty.

RE: ISO...some cameras automatically select the ISO when you load your film. Others allow you set your own ISO or to override the auto selection. I used to routinely set my ISO 1/3 stop lower than the stated ISO. Many photographers will tune their light meters with the types of film they used and would alter the ISO to suit their preferences.

You're correct though in that ISO is a measure of the film speed (400).

If you only own one filter, make it a polarizer.
Sponsors
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things