Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old January 20th, 2005, 05:38 AM
P-R-O-crastinator
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Okay, then I wasn't off when it comes to ISO and what it is. My camera is very different from what I used to shoot with 10 years ago. My old camera was a Minolta...completely manual. The difference in my camera now and that one was that I changed the apertures on the lens and I believe the shutter speed options were a dial on the top of the camera. When shooting manual shots, on my Nikon (current camera) ecverything is read on a window on the top of my camera. There is the shutter speed to the left and the apertures to the right of that. On the bottom left of the screen there are the flash options and on the bottom right is the number of frames left. Would it have a place for me to override the ISO if it was an option on the window with the other options? I have read through my manual many times and seem to learn something new each time but I don't recall anything about manually overriding the ISO. Does that mean my ISO will always be whatever film speed I shoot?

With film speed....is 800 a good speed for shooting at night and if so, if I am shooting at the darkest time of night towards say....a ferris wheel, would I need a flash? The reason I ask is that when I shot fireworks this past year, I shot 800sp film with no flash and they were very sharp and clear. Is that typicall with most night time shooting when you are trying to get the lights?

I think I will go and buy a roll of 200, 400 and 800 speed and use them and see what I come up with. I will go find some reading on it first and then see what I come up with.

My Website
  #12    Top
Old January 20th, 2005, 08:59 AM
Filmaholic
Recent Photo: Spike
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
What Nikon do you have? The N55, N65 and N75 do not have manual ISO capability. The N80 is their least expensive AF SLR that allows you to manually set the ISO.
Pictures, regardless of how they are created and recreated, are intended to be looked at. This brings to the forefront not the technology of imaging, which of course is important, but rather what we might call the eyenology (seeing).
-Henri Cartier-Bresson
  #13    Top
Old January 20th, 2005, 06:57 PM
P-R-O-crastinator
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I have the N55. If you know some stuff about those, can you recommend the best telephoto lens for me? I have a G-type 50-80mm right now.

My Website
  #14    Top
Old January 20th, 2005, 08:16 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Take a look at the photos Vibrio took with his new Sigma lens in the Fun Forum. They have that in a Nikon mount and it will be much cheaper than a Nikon equivalent lens. Of course, if money is no object -- go with a Nikon lens.
  #15    Top
Old January 20th, 2005, 08:38 PM
Babraham Lincoln
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
make sure that if you are uprating your film to make your lab aware of the need to push the film.
  #16    Top
Old January 21st, 2005, 10:26 AM
P-R-O-crastinator
What is uprating my film and do I need to tell them anything special when I take it to be developed or loaded onto a cd? When I develop all of this film that I am "practicing" with, I just get the picture cd as it is cheaper and I can take that back and get prints of the one's I want.

My Website
Sponsors
  #17    Top
Old January 21st, 2005, 12:03 PM
Babraham Lincoln
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
You should go to your ISO setting on the samera and choose the faster speed, 800 or 1600, you should be able to manually put this in. When you go to the lab tell them that you have uprated the film to whichever speed yu chose. Most professional labs will know what to do. But as I said before, be prepared for a little more noise (grain). But sometimes grain adds the mood. I personally prefer a grainy picture rather than no pic at all.
  #18    Top
Old January 21st, 2005, 04:44 PM
P-R-O-crastinator
Is setting your ISO the same thing as setting your shutter speed? If I am shooting with 400, should I be setting my shutter speed to about 800? Is that what you mean by "pushing".

My Website
  #19    Top
Old January 21st, 2005, 04:55 PM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
no, pushing and pulling is changing the ISO...nothing to do with the shutter speed. some cameras have a manual selection to be able to manually select the ISO.
  #20    Top
Old January 21st, 2005, 06:01 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Your camera may use DX codes and automatically select the ISO, Kris. If you can't see a knob to turn and change your ISO, it probably is automatically controlled and you don't have the ability to change it.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Things