Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Critiques & Feedback Corner > Miscellaneous

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old September 19th, 2006, 11:10 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Moonlight Martini
Bridge away from Reality

This was originally posted in a different section in June when I first joined the forum. I wanted to repost it here to get some true critique and feedback (not to mention I made a few adjustments since then). This shot is a color infrared shot taken around noon on a fairly bright day in June. I used a cokin Infrared 89B filter and made some adjustments the photo in photoshop (channel mixer, levels, curve). Let me know what you think all tpye of critique welcome (positive and negative).

Shutter Speed: 6 sec
Aperture: f/14
ISO: 200
Focal Length: 55mm
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bridge IR web.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	383.7 KB
ID:	33203  
"There are no rules for good photographs,
there are only good photographs."
- Ansel Adams
Kenn Miller Photography
  #2    Top
Old September 19th, 2006, 11:39 AM
VIP Member
Recent Photo: Ouch!
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
This one seems tough , either that or Im just tired. I'll give it a go.

The first thing I noticed is this is incredibly well balanced. It seems to be a mix of leading lines from the water and the bridge crossing each other.... and the weight of the mountain being supported by the appearent size of the bridge at the right side.( was pretty tough figuring that out )
The white infra red trees in the background have a nice gradient appearence to them. giving them alot of tonally. There's a sense of motion or power within the river because of that..... stuff, whatever it is. At the same time it represence calm because of the the reflection in the center.
The only thing I find bothersome is that weird colored sky. Not that it is colored, per se but it does seem to conflicting to the mood of the rest somehow. That and/or there doesn't seem to be much definition or seporation from the clouds and the sky.
Overall you did a great job, It appears you used proper hyperfocus, exposure looks good and composition is definitly very balanced and harmonious to me.
Manfrotto 190CXPro4
  #3    Top
Old September 19th, 2006, 11:54 AM
Premiere Member
Thanks, VB for the great in depth analysis. I can most definately see what you mean with the sky. I made some more adjustments and made the clouds stand out fromt the sky and it seems to help alot. As for it conflicting with the mood.. I'm wondering if is due to everything having more subdued tones as opposed to the sky's lighter/brighter tones. I'm not sure exactly how to help that but I appreciate the critique. thanks again VB
- Ansel Adams
Kenn Miller Photography
  #4    Top
Old September 19th, 2006, 12:01 PM
VIP Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniticubed View Post
Thanks, VB for the great in depth analysis. I can most definately see what you mean with the sky. I made some more adjustments and made the clouds stand out fromt the sky and it seems to help alot. As for it conflicting with the mood.. I'm wondering if is due to everything having more subdued tones as opposed to the sky's lighter/brighter tones. I'm not sure exactly how to help that but I appreciate the critique. thanks again VB
No problem Yeah, I think it might be the tonal difference. oh,, and I cant spell too good "Represents" Can you tell my typing is quiker and better than my grammar?
Manfrotto 190CXPro4
  #5    Top
Old September 19th, 2006, 12:07 PM
Premiere Member
Updated version

Here it is with he sky more defined and the tones tweaked.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bridge IR web.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	33208  
- Ansel Adams
Kenn Miller Photography
Sponsors
  #6    Top
Old September 19th, 2006, 12:18 PM
VIP Member
Yeah, that looks alot better.
Manfrotto 190CXPro4
  #7    Top
Old September 19th, 2006, 12:19 PM
Premiere Member
Thanks, VB This is how I learn and grow as a photographer. I'm appreciate your help.
- Ansel Adams
Kenn Miller Photography
  #8    Top
Old September 20th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Silent Screamer
Recent Photo: Mr. Confused
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Oh, I remember this one, kenn!! I think this has a luminescent quality about it, a sense of fantasy, but very strong lines contrasting with that. There's real power and impact in this image.I really like the foreground and how it changes from almost a muddy brown to that beautiful water. This is a winner.

EVERYTHING LOOKS PERFECT FROM FAR AWAY
  #9    Top
Old September 20th, 2006, 09:05 AM
Premiere Member
Thanks, Terri This is definately one of my favorite of the color infrared shots that I'm done. They certainly have a way of breaking away from a sense of reality. I'm glad you like it. thanks again for your cooments!
- Ansel Adams
Kenn Miller Photography
  #10    Top
Old September 22nd, 2006, 09:24 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I really like this the colors (sky water)compliment each other and the crisp lines of the bridge dont distract from the varied lines of the mountiains in the background. This shot is very balanced, nice work!