Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old September 20th, 2006, 03:37 PM
Elite Member
why people join online communities

I have a project for my english class on communities. My specific assignment is online communities. So I was wondering what reasons do you all have for joining online communities like this one?
  #2    Top
Old September 20th, 2006, 04:02 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Sounds like a really neat project Good luck with it!

I know i joined this communtity at first becasue i wanted to have a palce where i could post photos and have feedback on them. Receiving Feedback is an important part of beng a photographer. Do people like your work ect.. I also joined because i was eager to learn. I really wanted to learn the basics of photography and other usefull tips and necesities. I wanted to have a place where i could ask questions if i was puzzled, and where i could read up on other questions people had asked cause most of the time the pertained to me too.

I soon came to realize online communites are so much more than wha ti first thought. I started making online friends, and as i started to post more and more work i kept on meeting more people who enjoyed my posts. Not only are online communties good for resourses information, but it is a place for friends. It is also a place to watch people grow. I know some of you here remember when i first joined here last year, and have watched me progress over the period of one year. I know i have had the privilage to watch you guys grow as well . So not only have i made friends, but i have had the opportunity to see others work from ALL over the world. places where i would only dream of going and now i have met an actually person from there and have seen there photos of the region. You might have two people from the same area but each has there own unique style and portrays the area differnt. I love how everyone is unique here and the photos i have seen not only have inspired me but have really made me appreciate everything.

Online communities enable one to meet people from all over the globe. Yes you may argue that its "online" but this is totally different from a chat room. You have endless time to chat, post, get to know each other, and really get to know each other for who and what they are. Not just a chat room where you meet someone maybe once. ect.

Here at the photography corner is definatly an amazing photo communty filled with many expertice and amazing people.

I feel so privaleged to be apart of it

Thank you everyone.
  #3    Top
Old September 20th, 2006, 04:05 PM
Canadian Edition
Recent Photo: Iceberg #4
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I guess it would be mainly share ideas and have someone with similar intrests to talk to. It is good to have a place to show your photos too and the people that view them know a bit about photography. I am in several forums This is basically the only active one for photography for me, several motorcycle forums and a running forum.
  #4    Top
Old September 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I originally joined because I wanted a place where I could post my photos and actually get back comments that would help me improve them and my personal knowledge of photography. I got way more than that with this forum.
Sponsors
  #5    Top
Old September 20th, 2006, 05:00 PM
Elite Member
wow Zheng I think you summed up everything there is to say about the subject lol. Maybe you should be in my class! thanks for your input guys.
  #6    Top
Old September 20th, 2006, 05:02 PM
Senior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Flat Iron Building
I joined this forum for a few reasons. First, and most important, to learn from and become inspired by other photographers. Also, to be part of a social circle where everyone has the same common bond. Plus it's great to get feedback from other photographers..

Mike

Give Blood... Play Hockey

EXIT 22:
www.exit22rocks.net
  #7    Top
Old September 20th, 2006, 05:22 PM
Premiere Member
Gold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by maralynn85 View Post
wow Zheng I think you summed up everything there is to say about the subject lol. Maybe you should be in my class! thanks for your input guys.

just got home and my last class is english so i felt like writing, hope that helped a little
  #8    Top
Old September 21st, 2006, 09:58 AM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Why did I join, well...I'm bored and I needed something to do. No, just kidding.

What I actually joined on-line communities for is for talking about certain subjects like this (photography, modelbuilding) with like-minded individuals.
My Gear
  #9    Top
Old September 21st, 2006, 10:12 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: pp Project 1
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I think Zheng has given a very good answer that covers a lot of my feelings on this topic.

Online communities are indeed a great place to interact with a wide range of different folks and get input and feedback on our work.

I personally enjoy the element of sharing the photographs that I take - my friends have started to get wary of my "just a few photographs" so it's a good place to share where there are people who have the same interest - photography.

It's also a very good place to pick other people's brains for the knowledge that they have. If I don't know something then you can pretty much guarantee that someone here will have the answer, there are some very knowledgeable and highly skilled individuals around this forum and it's often a pleasure to get their knowledge.

And friendship is a strong part, this is like one huge camera club that meets all the time in one amalgamous melting pot of characters and talents.

I would say that PC is the best photography forum that I have come across for the level of friendliness and open discussion that takes place. There are of course, the occasional spats, but this is to be expected and most of the time the end result is a broadening of understanding.

Just my rambling thoughts!

Andy

I take photographs with love, so I try to make them art objects. But I make them for myself first and foremost - that is important.
Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #10    Top
Old September 21st, 2006, 05:26 PM
Easily Confused
Recent Photo: Stone Wall
Platinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I initially joined, to learn and to get feedback on my photos.. my family and friends were not interested.... I found a wonderful group of new friends.. I've learned a great deal from the folks here, and enjoyed every minute of my time here...

Kenneth Tynan
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner