Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old April 25th, 2004, 02:37 AM
Elite Member
Dinosaurs story is always interesting

http://www.sciscoop.com/story/2004/4/22/203337/411
http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/20...nt_1435171.htm
http://www.nature.com/nsu/040419/040419-11.html

New theory tells that Dinosaurs went extinct because of the unbalanced sex ratio. In essence, the nature chose to terminate the life of Dinosaurs. Pretty interesting theory.

I don't how true this theory is, but I personally believe in the population control by the change of sex ratio in various species from time to time.

I wonder how female would feel if they are surrounded by a bunch of males. I would how male would feel if they are surrounded by a bunch of females.
  #2    Top
Old April 25th, 2004, 05:03 AM
Junior VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
One of the things about dinosaur theories is that they assume mass extinction in a very sudden manner. We don't actually know that that is what happened. The geological record is often very condensed - many, many years packed into just a few strata. People wrongly assume that if the thickness of the geological record is thin, then the event is a sudden one... and that's not necessarily the case. Am I making sense here? What I'm trying to say is that people like to sensationalise things... a mass extinction sounds much more interesting than a gradual dying out...

Aaron
  #3    Top
Old April 25th, 2004, 06:37 AM
Elite Member
Quote:
Am I making sense here?
Yes, I sense your intelligence here.
Quote:
What I'm trying to say is that people like to sensationalize things... a mass extinction sounds much more interesting than a gradual dying out...
Maybe you are right. Maybe after all, science news might just be entertainment just like business and politics news being entertainment.
Sponsors
  #4    Top
Old April 25th, 2004, 06:43 AM
Junior VIP Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reason
Sorry about the rant. I did my degree in geography/geology so you touched on a subject of interest...

Aaron
  #5    Top
Old April 25th, 2004, 06:48 AM
Elite Member
Quote:
Sorry about the rant. I did my degree in geography/geology so you touched on a subject of interest...
Oh, expert is here. I have to watch out ... I don't want to make myself look dumb .
  #6    Top
Old April 25th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Junior VIP Member
No, no... don't worry - it was a fair few years ago now.

Aaron
  #7    Top
Old April 25th, 2004, 01:58 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I can tell Aaron was just waiting for the opportune moment for the information to flow out, however.
  #8    Top
Old May 21st, 2004, 10:10 PM
Recent Photo: Graffiti Girl
Well I have a four year old, and so I know everything ever about the dinosaurs!

ha ha ha ha ha!!

If you cannot lend a hand, be a nuisance! The most important thing is to take part!!
  #9    Top
Old May 22nd, 2004, 04:11 PM
Junior VIP Member
Actually, that's true... kids know a phenomenal amount about dinos.

Aaron
  #10    Top
Old May 22nd, 2004, 04:32 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
I remember doing all sorts of projects in elementary school on dinosaurs... hehe. I used to love dinosaur stuff. (still do... so much to read and learn, so little time!)