Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old October 4th, 2006, 08:59 AM
White balance white background paper

hey all!!

an amateur here. i have a small set in the basement. white background paper. 3 lowel tota tungsten lights with white umbrellas and my canon eos rebel. i usually can get pretty good pics with my studio blue background paper. however, i'm frustrated as heck with my white background paper. i can't seem to get the right white balance. i set the camera to custom white balance. took a shot of my paper. then, set the custom white balance. it's coming out with orange-tan hints. i can fix it in photoshop, but then it looks greyish. i'm really stumped with this white paper. any tips?

other info; i have 2 lights on either side of camera, 1 straight at set , 1 at 45 degree angle to the subject. i have a back light as well, off to back left corner.
i usually use f/8 or f/5.6. thanks!!

crazy lizard lady
Sponsors
  #2    Top
Old October 4th, 2006, 10:29 AM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
This is a strange problem. Only thing that I can think of is that maybe you're setting your custom WB incorrectly. Double check your manual. One other issue, of course, is that you have a problem with your camera and the way it handles WB.

Some thoughts (not knowing your camera, what you did, etc)

Ensure that the only thing in your custom WB is the white background. Make sure that the white is uniform throughout the custom WB shot. Shadowed areas may be causing conflict.

Ensure that you are properly exposing the scene. Under/over exposing causes its own issues, including color casts.

Try your tungsten setting on your WB dial. Sometimes custom WB isn't the best solution (although in this case, I suspect it should be).

Shoot RAW and manually adjust WB to suit your mood.

EDIT: One other thought....some cameras set custom WB using gray. Again, check your manual to see if it says to use "gray" or "white" when setting WB.
  #3    Top
Old October 4th, 2006, 02:05 PM
thanks for your reply ohenry. my manual says to use white for setting custom white balance. i think for now i will try setting it to tungsten and see how that works. also, i could have some shadows going on. i'm going to fool with my lights to make sure. thanks again,

crazy lizard lady
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > General Photography > Photography 101