Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photo Sharing Corner > Places

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner
View Poll Results: This picture...
Is a keeper 11 73.33%
Isn't a keeper 2 13.33%
Isn't a picture because it's a photoshop. 2 13.33%
You may not vote on this poll

#21    Top
Old February 2nd, 2005, 11:01 AM
Some Guy
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Quote:
...people who rely on Photoshop (or similar programs) to "fix" their mistakes from the camera are the people that are cheating themselves...

My feeling is that you should get it right in the camera FIRST. Know the basics of exposure, focus, and composition. Little PS work is then required (beyond sharpening and contrast adjustments (which are done in digital cameras and local processing labs anyway)).
Agreed again. I guess that what bothers me is the idea that montage techniques that have long been available in the darkroom for people with money and space are suddenly off-limits because you can use photoshop to produce similar images easily and cheaply. And I find the notion that doing montage with an enlarger rather than digitally is somehow morally superior frankly absurd.
  #22    Top
Old February 2nd, 2005, 12:02 PM
Senior VIP Member
Bronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
don't get me wrong...there is nothing wrong with photoshop...but when you get overzealous with it...then it becomes too comercial..something you might see in an add....not something that was truly there.
i'm not an extremist...i don't take the photojournalism route either...it's just that there is a point when the photograph (original image) is gone.
i've said this before, i'm never looking for "perfection" . i want people to see what i saw...as i like to see what others saw...not what they created (at least not in a photograph) i think that's the beauty of photography...it'a an art in and of itself....it's one persons ability to make people see ordinary objects in a whole new light.
  #23    Top
Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:04 PM
Babraham Lincoln
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Quote:
My feeling is that you should get it right in the camera FIRST.
Point well said.
  #24    Top
Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:09 PM
Babraham Lincoln
Contest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Quote:
Quote:

My feeling is that you should get it right in the camera FIRST.

Sorry forgot to finish. What I meant to say was Yes, I agree totally with you Carl about getting it right the first time, however to defend this photograph, THIS could have never been captured "correctly" the first time with any amount of exposure control. This was a creative photo that we will never see in nature. For creative purposes, I am all for photshop , however if you are using it to back up the fact that you can't expose correctly, then you are cheating!

Point well said.
  #25    Top
Old February 2nd, 2005, 09:19 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
True, Callie...and that's why I said that I didn't have a problem with it. I think digital imaging is a great art form in itself and has a place in photography.
  #26    Top
Old February 7th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Babraham Lincoln
Quote:
and that's why I said that I didn't have a problem with it
I didn't really mean that as a rebuttle to your comment exactly, I threw that out as a rebuttle to the people voting "isn't a photo because of photoshop"

Carl don't make me come after you
  #27    Top
Old February 7th, 2005, 01:23 PM
By His Grace
Recent Photo: Sunrise on the Beach
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSpecial Contribution Award: This award is given for extremely dedicated work towards the growth and success of PhotographyCorner. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by callady10

Carl don't make me come after you
I'm trying!
  #28    Top
Old February 7th, 2005, 06:32 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
  #29    Top
Old February 8th, 2005, 04:18 PM
Cap'n Flash
I've seen much worse examples of Photoshopping.
What's good about this picture is the special effects were used to enhance a very artsy, gnarled, old
tree trunk. If I were you, Lept, I'd play around
with this a bit more. There is some little thing I don't like about the door, its style, or something.
  #30    Top
Old February 9th, 2005, 04:22 AM
Premiere Member
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
I just don't like the photograph. I don't care about the maniuplation part call it photography, call it whatever you want, I frankly am just not a fan of heavily manipulated images as seen on the link you posted. I will say that toning and sharpening and all that darkroom stuff you do, it's still a photograph. You can manipulate in camera as well with ISOs, fish-eye distortion, shutter lag, etc.