Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Product Reviews

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#11    Top
Old July 13th, 2008, 06:48 PM
Junior VIP Member
Recent Photo: Day Lily and Ant
I dithered over the Canon Rebel and the Nikon D80 for a long time. It is a matter of taste. I love the alleged "Nikon Blue" as well as the Nikon "Painterly Effect" that Canon loyalists eschew.

Being a newbie, I liked the versatility of the 11 point auto-focus system. While finalizing my choices, Canon was using a media that was falling out of popularity, can't remember what it was just now, and the D80 was using the SD card. Basically, the newer SD card and of course, the versatility of the Nikon 'glass' won me over. I don't have a lot to spend on lenses and Nikon does deliver some sweet 'affordable' glass.

I LOVE my D80. I was a rank beginner with a good eye. I am learning so much about the art of photography from using my D80 daily. I'm doomed for I already hunger for a larger sensor and forsee a D300 in my future. I'll always keep the D80 around as a second camera.
  #12    Top
Old August 21st, 2008, 06:42 AM
I need to know D80 has a CCD where as Canon 40D has a CMOS. Does this make big difference?
I am planning to get 40D but due to the extra $ i might be going for D80 so need some serious help on this.

Also is there a chance that canon brands takes sharper picture compared to Nikon?
  #13    Top
Old August 21st, 2008, 02:53 PM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Vernal Equinox
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafa View Post
I need to know D80 has a CCD where as Canon 40D has a CMOS. Does this make big difference?
No noticeable difference in the results. Each type has it's advantages and disadvantages.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustafa View Post
Also is there a chance that canon brands takes sharper picture compared to Nikon?
Sharpness is more a function of lens and technique than a body. I'm assuming of course that this question is related to your first question. So the answer to this is also no.

Moderator Emeritus

Great photographs are never taken they are created.
  #14    Top
Old July 29th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Re: The Nikon D80

Thanks for the intreresting and useful review. Nikon is one of the best companies. The performance of Nikon D80 seems to be very good.
  #15    Top
Old November 20th, 2009, 05:37 AM

Hello,
I'm a big fan of Nikon. Nikons are sturdy and easier to use. They also have great lenses.
The D80 is a really good camera, but it has a lot of features only a pro would use (or understand), and it gets kind of pricey. Take a look at the D60, or D40X, and see if they can give you the functions you want and save you some money.
  #16    Top
Old March 16th, 2010, 07:20 AM

Following is the list of excellent features related to Nikon D80 because of which I find it damn cool and fascinating.
- 10.2-megapixel CCD delivering a maximum image resolution of 3,872 x 2,592 pixels , 2.5-inch TFT color LCD monitor.
- Program, Flexible Program, Shutter Priority, Aperture Priority, and Manual exposure modes.
- Shutter speeds from 1/4,000 to 30 seconds, with a Bulb setting for longer exposures.
- User-selectable white balance with nine modes and manual fine-tuning.
- External flash hot shoe, Hue, Contrast, and Sharpness adjustments.
- Image storage on SD and SDHC memory cards , USB cable for connection to a computer or PictBridge-compatible printer.
Sponsors
  #17    Top
Old April 23rd, 2010, 07:42 AM
Spammer

superb article.....
  #18    Top
Old May 13th, 2010, 10:36 AM
Junior VIP Member

The D80 was my first DSLR, and I just upgraded to the D300. I plan on using it as a second camera for event/wedding shoots. Having two Nikons give me more versatility, because I can have two different type of lenses in use at the same time. Particularly when focal range is a factor. Now i'm focusing on getting me some new glass. I plan on purchasing a 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF AF-S DX Lens this month, to prepare for the upcoming shoots I have booked.

Quote:
I LOVE my D80. I was a rank beginner with a good eye. I am learning so much about the art of photography from using my D80 daily. I'm doomed for I already hunger for a larger sensor and forsee a D300 in my future. I'll always keep the D80 around as a second camera
Never,ever part with that D80 bro, it is a beast, trust me!!!! I will never abandon the camera that started it all for me, she still has purpose.
  #19    Top
Old December 9th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Account Disabled

Thanks for sharing.
  #20    Top
Old December 12th, 2010, 02:52 PM

Is this a really recomended camera for a beginner.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Resources > Product Reviews