Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > PhotographyCorner.com Newsletters & Press Releases > PhotographyCorner.com Newsletters

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old October 18th, 2006, 05:24 PM
The Corner Creator
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
Volume 3, Issue 9 - October 2006

PhotographyCorner.com Newsletter
Volume 3, Issue 9

Contents:
1) Oops! What Galleries?
2) Sponsor: ProPics Express
3) Contest Corner Challenge #27: Fruit
4) AOL: Insert Expletive Here
5) Infractions: Hopefully You'll Never Have to Know
6) "Noteworthy Notables"
7) Start Organizing

1) Oops! What Galleries?

Ok, so if you've been following along in these newsletters, you're probably thinking "Hey, the next newsletter is out, and thought the galleries would be here by now. What gives?" Ummm... oops! I, er, forgot... um, no, wait... I was busy. Yeah, that's it. No, seriously - I've been working on them. We came across a couple of bugs in the galleries that we want to get resolved before we launch them. They're coming, though, I promise. This just gives you a little extra time to pony up to become a Premiere Member at a reduced rate, though. We've had a bunch of new Premiere Members in the past month that are taking advantage of the cheaper pricing. My goal (don't kill me if I don't get it done in time) is to have the galleries up and running by the end of the month, or early November at the very latest. When that happens, the cost of becoming a Premiere Member goes up (because of all the additional perks for being a Premiere Member... it's not just because I can). If you want to become a Premiere Member, visit http://www.photographycorner.com/premiere-membership This month, it could be the difference between $500 and $250 (check out the section on Contest Corner Challenge #27: Fruit below to find out why).

2) Sponsor: ProPics Express

ProPics Express is going to be one of the leading sponsors of the Corner for the next 3 Photograph of the Month contests & the next 3 Contest Corner Challenges. You may have already seen some of their banners floating around the site, too. Over the next 3-4 months, ProPics Express will be giving away THOUSANDS of dollars in prizes for these contests (sweet!). Now, that's all find and dandy, but what IS ProPics Express? Well, they're a full-service online digital photo lab that services both the professional photographer, and the advanced photo enthusiast. All of their photographic products are individually color-corrected, and then printed on Kodak professional paper (one of the few online labs in the world that prints all output on pro papers). Their print sizes range from small wallet-sized prints to 20x30 prints. In addition, they have their own frame division (HardWood Frames, Inc), so you can get the perfect frame from them as well. Now, if that weren't enough, they also offer items such as calendars, greeting cards and photobooks (with more neat-o stuff on the way!). With competitive pricing, and with most items shipping the SAME DAY the order is received, there's no doubt that ProPics Express is the online photo finishing of choice for the photo enthusiast. Visit ProPics Express @ www.propicsexpress.com

3) Contest Corner Challenge #27: Fruit

We just finished up voting on CCC#26: On the Fire. A big congrats goes out to Karen for winning the contest and receiving an NN3 courtesy of Nodal Ninja - can't wait to see some beautiful pano's showing up on the site from Karen, and those of you that took advantage of the special pricing offered to the Corner members from Nodal Ninja. If you didn't get a chance to purchase one during the contest, the special pricing ($15 off the sale price!) is available for a couple more days. Visit www.nodalninja.com and make sure you say you heard about it from PhotographyCorner to get your discount! Look for my review of the Nodal Ninja 3 coming soon to the resources center. Now, the next Contest Corner Challenge is a little more "do-able" than CCC#26. CCC#27: Fruit is about exactly what it sounds like. Fruit. Take a photo of a piece, or pieces of fruit, check the guidelines, and send in the photo. ProPics Express is sponsoring this contest (as I mentioned above). If a Premiere Member wins the contest, they'll receive a $500 gift certificate for ProPics Express, and if a non-Premiere Member wins, they'll receive a $250 gift certificate to ProPics Express. Entries are due in by midnight, November 3rd, 2006.

4) AOL: Insert Expletive Here

If you're an AOL user, you probably didn't get this email. Why? Because AOL thinks PhotographyCorner is sending out spam. Apparently a couple of people (whether accidentally or on purpose) marked emails (mostly new post notification emails that they signed up to receive) as spam, so AOL has decided to block all emails coming from PhotographyCorner to all AOL customers. Nice, eh? Normally, I wouldn't use the newsletter for a rant (I would just put it in the forum somewhere), but this is effecting hundreds of PhotographyCorner members: They're not getting thread notifications, they're not getting voting reminders, they're not getting newsletters, they're not getting ANYTHING from PhotographyCorner. Imagine what that would feel like? Seriously. Just sit there and think about what life would be like if you didn't get a bunch of emails from PhotographyCorner on a daily basis. It would be like your best friend stopped emailing you or calling you or something. So, the question is, what can you do to help your fellow AOL-using brethren during this awful time of suffering? Help them switch to a different provider. Get them to sign up for a Gmail or Yahoo email account. Anything but AOL. I'm working with AOL to try to get them to turn the block back off, but it could take weeks. I should be able to find out who is marking our emails as spam, and I'll turn those accounts off, but in the meantime, no emails from PhotographyCorner to AOL (instead, they all bounce back to my inbox...). Grrrr.

5) Infractions: Hopefully You'll Never Have to Know

One of the updates we've done to the site is to add a handy little system called "Infractions." It sounds worse than it is. Basically it works like the yellow card and the red card in soccer (football for you non-North Americans). If you do bad things around the Corner (like spamming, insulting other members, not following the forum rules, etc), you can be given an infraction by me or one of the mods. If you receive a certain number of infractions, you will be temporarily sent to a place we call Purgatory. In Purgatory, you cannot post, send or receive PMs, start new threads, vote in polls, or even see photos. Now, this will not really affect most of you, so don't really worry about it... just another way that we can keep our boards clean and friendly. If you have any questions, feel free to ask in the Questions & Suggestions forum.

6) "Noteworthy Notables"

Just in case you missed some of the great resources and threads this month, this section is for you.

The Secrets to Panoramic Photography
Learn the fundamental techniques to taking perfect panoramic photographs.

Modes: What They Are, and Why They're Useful
This article briefly looks at the various modes your camera has to offer, what they do, and how to use them.

High Pass Sharpening
Learn to use the high pass filter and layers to achieve greater control over sharpening your photographs.

Image Resolution and Print Size/Quality
Corner members discuss the correlation between resolution and print size quality.

October 2006 Photograph of the Month Is...
...Norfolk Fens by Oneof42!!

The CCC#26: On the Fire Winning Photograph Is...
...Sizzling Hot Juicy Burgers by Karen!!

How to Place a Link in Your Post
Great mini-tutorial by GREAPER on putting links in your posts.

7) Start Organizing

With the Corner Galleries coming soon, it might be a good idea to start organizing your photos to put up in the gallery. We will be holding a couple of contests when the galleries launch, so get them ready to go up. Winter's usually a common time to organize your photographs from the summer months - print up those rolls and rolls of film, and touch up and save those gigs and gigs of photos. Make sure you keep taking photos, though - lest you get a little rusty (or worse, let dust bunnies get on your sensor!). As always, I encourage feedback on these newsletters or the site in general. We want PhotographyCorner to be the best photography portal on the web. Feel free to email, PM or even post a message to me. Your feedback is what makes the Corner get bigger and better everyday.

See you around the Corner,
Tim L. Walker
www.PhotographyCorner.com