Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner

Welcome to the PhotographyCorner.com Forums.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, photographs and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), vote on contests like the Photograph of the Month and Contest Corner Challenges, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support.

Archive Suite top banner

#1    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 07:52 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Destiny
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Share your shooting habits!

In another attempt to learn more about photography from everybody I thought Id ask a few more questions and see how you guys feel about some issues.

Previously, you shared great ideas, thoughts and answers on:

Whats your dream shot?
What do you do with your photos?
Do you always have your cam?
If you have more than one lens

This time:
Id love to hear about your shooting habits (if you have any).
  • What inspires you?
  • Do you 'prepare'? How?
  • What do you NOT like about photography? And so on.
  • What times/days do you like to shoot at?
  • Do you shoot with other? Like it? Would you like to?
  • Post-processing (basic, file naming, resizing, etc): Something you enjoy doing - or something that has to be done?

follow me on Facebook & twitter
  #2    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 07:58 AM
Premiere Member
Photograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reason
Forgot to answer these myself!

Ok,

So, I love music. and can't imagine shooting without an iPod or some sort of music - and I have no idea why.

I really don't like Tripods and don't like how much they are really important! LOL. I just think it's very difficult to walk around with them. Recently, I've only been using a mini-tripod (almost 4 inches!!) and I'll have to do with it - although the need for a big one is always there. I think many people might agree here.

Dust! That's a nightmare. I now have a phobia of changing lenses - but feeling a bit better about it.

I don't usually shoot at weekdays - and most of my photos are taken on holidays or trips. which is why I've developed a habit of ''extreme shooting''! I spend months without shooting, but when i'm ready, I shoot like 500+ shots a day!

Never shot with anybody - and would really love to. Think it'll be an interesting experience.

I also always take many similar shots - which makes it very difficult for me to choose a favorite. Example: when someone is posing for a portrait, I usually take 10s of shots and end of with many photos that have only very little differences! very difficult to pick which ones to keep later.

#3    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 07:59 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: pp Project 1
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPlatinum Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 10,000 posts. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Month Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Photograph of the Month Contest. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reason
What inspires you?

The corner of course!!

I am constantly inspired by the creativity of the folks around here and the shots that are captured.

Do you 'prepare'? How?

Pretty much not, my camera is my constant companion and I shoot stuff when I see it!

What do you NOT like about photography? And so on.

I have been taking photographs for over 20 years now and still love it - used to hate having to pay someone to process my films and hated the wait for the films to come back even more . .

. . but now we have digital!!

What times/days do you like to shoot at?

Anytime when there is enough light!

Do you shoot with other? Like it? Would you like to?

Hoping to get the chance to do this soon!

Have not been out shooting with anyone before, ever!

Post-processing (basic, file naming, resizing, etc): Something you enjoy doing - or something that has to be done?

Pretty much needs to be done - I look at it as an extension of the creative process and look at this side of things as a digital darkroom and enjoy the time spent getting things nudged into shape.

Cool thread sir - having a slow day at work???

Andy

I take photographs with love, so I try to make them art objects. But I make them for myself first and foremost - that is important.
Jacques-Henri Lartigue
  #4    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 08:08 AM
Premiere Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oneof42 View Post
Cool thread sir - having a slow day at work???
Nicely spotted! lol

But i actually been meaning to ask these for some time. I've never met any photographer friends - and it's cool to see how people do it.

#5    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 08:37 AM
Seeing Beyond Seeing
Recent Photo: DSC_83631pc
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonGold Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 5,000 posts. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
Awesome thread Faisal.

What inspires you?

Serveral people from the corner and photographers who shoot for National Geographic.

Do you 'prepare'? How?

No I never prepare, most of the time I like to be spontaneous when I'm shooting.

What do I not like about photography, or you kidding I love everything about photography.

I usually shoot in the mid morning around 10am or late afternoon around 4pm and on weekends only, I would love to shoot between 5 and 6:30 am but I never seem to be able to get out that early but I did one time while in San Antonio, I was out shooting around 6am and I loved it!

I would love to shot with other photographers, I went out once with Alicia and it was fun.

Post-processing (basic, file naming, resizing, etc): Something you enjoy doing - or something that has to be done?

I always enjoy post-processing.

susanhernandezphotography
  #6    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 08:57 AM
What inspires you?
I watch the light everyday and even if unable to shoot store the memory of ight and clouds for future reference.

Do you 'prepare'? How?
I get civil sunrise and sunset data as well as the sun's azimuth.

During the summer it is very difficult to get up 2 hours before dawn after getting to bed 2 hours after sunset; it makes a very short night.

Typically I shoot seriously until just after sunrise and start again just before sunset. Most of my photo trips are 24 hours in length. I leave at noon and scout a sunset/sunrise location and shoot both from the same location before returning home.

I have frequently shot with others and end up talking more than shooting but I will be in the field on a day I may have decided to stay home if not for the committment.

Post processing is a labor and do as little as possible and then only if the image will be sent out.
  #7    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Expat Photographer
Silver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reasonBronze Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 1,000 posts. - Issue reason
What inspires you?
The Corner certainly inspires me, and motivates me to do better. Michael Reichmann from Luminous-Landscape inspires me very much. Also, just looking at people's work from photography magazines.

Photography is also my creative outlet since I can't even draw a straight line with a ruler I can be pretty self motivated when I love something and want to improve.
Do you 'prepare'? How?
It depends. When I can, I'll scout a location I want to shoot, but that's been hard here since I'm not allowed to drive by myself yet because of insurance. So mostly, I just show up I guess I do have an idea of what I want to do that day. I'll take what I think I need. If I'm going somewhere I think using a tripod will be appropriate, I'll take it. Mine's light, but I hate carrying them around too.

I don't like that sometimes it takes me away from actually participating in what's going on (like when I'm with family). I'm on the outside when I'm shooting.

When I can, I love shooting from about an hour before sunset until right after. The light is so incredible sometimes. Gotta start dragging my arse outta bed so I can shoot very early as well. We stay up way too late sometimes

I shoot with my FIL sometimes. It's fun. It's also fun to see how someone else interprets the same thing differently.

I used to do almost nothing, and thought my pictures were supposed to look good out of the camera. I also knew bugger all about photoshop. Gradually, I began to learn that with digital, especially raw, post processing is required if you want the optimum from your picture. I shoot raw 99% of the time, so quite a bit needs to be done in post processing.

I'm enjoying it more all the time. Last week I learned a couple of new b&w conversion techniques, learned about blending exposures (highly recommended), and learned about applying the Orton effect from Patman's tutorial. The more I learn, the better my finished pics become and the more I enjoy the entire process. When I was out shooting yesterday, I was actually seeing the post processing in my head as I decided how to take the picture. That was a totally new experience for me!

Now go back to work Faisal
  #8    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:41 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Vernal Equinox
Contributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonContributor Award: This award is given to those who contribute either an article for the resources section, or contribute to the community in another exemplary way. - Issue reasonPhotograph of the Year Finalist: This award is given to a photographer who was a finalist in the Photograph of the Year Contest. - Issue reasonContest Corner Challenge Winner: This award is given to the photographer who wins a Contest Corner Challenge. - Issue reasonSilver Commitment Award: This award is given to those who have shown great community dedication & commitment and have over 2,000 posts. - Issue reason
What inspires you?
If I've learned nothing else I've learned that no two days have ever been alike. The light the clouds the conditions the environment all change.

Do you 'prepare'? How?
I change my underwear on a daily basis. This was taught to me by my mother. She said "You'll never know if you'll be in an accident."

The cost. I wish it were all free. (You never said our answers had to be rational Faisal )

Like the song says: Sunrise... Sunset

Do you shoot with others? Like it? Would you like to?
Yes for the most part. (I'm the one talking with Dale - dbphoto) so I probably like it more than he does

Don't like it but it has to be done. The less I have to do the better.

Moderator Emeritus

Great photographs are never taken they are created.
  #9    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Premiere Member
Recent Photo: Winter
Great thread Faisal!!!

What inspires you?

To make the best photo that I can to post on the Corner and competition in our camera club. And to take a picture that when I look at it and go WOW I took that. (Doesn’t happen very often)

Do you “prepare”? How?

Usually try to come up with an idea for a subject and look around till I find it (most of the time just point and shoot :–) LOL. How? Make sure the batteries are charged.

What do You NOT like about photography? And so on.

Probably dragging around five hundred pounds of camera gear in a backpack for an outing (don’t want to forget any thing) and dust. Dust is a bad thing!

Being retired I usually get up early (4 or 4:30 am) love to get out before the sun comes up and before people start milling around or before the sun goes down. (Or more like it 24/7)

Do you shoot with others? Like it? Would you like to?

Not at 5am, sometimes our camera club plans an outing those are always fun-- would love to shoot with all the people on the Corner there would be so much to learn from so many talented people.

Post-processing (basic, file naming, resizing, etc): Something you enjoy doing- or something that has to be done?

Still learning PhotoShop, it still amazes me what you can do with it. Enjoy cropping and trying to get a composition I like.
  #10    Top
Old December 19th, 2006, 10:33 AM
Elite Member
What inspires me?

looking at other people's pictures, and myself, I tend to push myself to be the best I can possibly be. I have aspirations of being very good. lol

Do I prepare? How?

I never really thought about it. If I know I'm going to be out taking pictures somewhere I don't get to go very often I will check and double check all my equipment about a million times. Other than that I make sure I'm wearing the right cloths for the situation. Being comfortable is very important.

What do I not like about photogaphy?

The cost. I'm poor and I always see stuff and say I wish I could have that...lol other than that, the self doubt that sometimes comes with it.

What times/days do I like to shoot at?

I like mornings when I manage to get up for them, and around sunset. and I usually only shoot when I go on vacation or leave town for a day, my city area is pretty much barren in terms of photo worthy subject, the water's brown sluge and I'm surrounded by concrete (bleck)

Do I shoot with others? Like it? Would I like to?

My fiance always comes with me. He's not into photography really but he's good company.

Post-processing (basic, file naming, resizing, etc): Something you enjoy doing- or something that has to be done?

A little bit of both. I don't mind doing it because it's something I can do with pictures when I haven't been able to get out and take pictures, but it can get kind of boring.
Go Back   PhotographyCorner.com Forums > Photography Corner > Conversation Corner